List the best keepers we've ever had in the lower divisions.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

John Keeley was terrible both times I saw him play.  

We signed John Keeley on the strength of an absolute blinder he had against us at Boundary Park with Brighton. He was very unlucky in his time with us but I always rated him, he had a good game away at Cambridge (I think) but was then dropped for Paul Gerrard - I was that gutted I actually wrote to him to say how disappointed I was for him (seriously, I was only young!) and he wrote me a really nice thank you letter back. I never rated Paul Gerrard.

26 minutes ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

We signed John Keeley on the strength of an absolute blinder he had against us at Boundary Park with Brighton. He was very unlucky in his time with us but I always rated him, he had a good game away at Cambridge (I think) but was then dropped for Paul Gerrard - I was that gutted I actually wrote to him to say how disappointed I was for him (seriously, I was only young!) and he wrote me a really nice thank you letter back. I never rated Paul Gerrard.

Oddly I wrote to Gerrard and got a signed photo... Still have it somewhere 

4 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

John Platt and Peter McDonnell were the two keepers when I first started watching under Jimmy Frizzell.  They didn't exactly alternate the number 1 spot, but they did seem to swap over quite regularly.  It was similar with Hallworth and Rhodes 10 years later.  Does anyone remember Winston Dubose, an American if I remember correctly.  I saw him play once (maybe a Cup game) and I never saw him play again.

I saw the USA international Winston DuBose play his only game, looked a top class keeper, but unfortunately he couldn't get a work permit.

5 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Did Hallworth regress at all? I didn’t see him up until the prem and seem to recall Gerrard deposed him (despite his horror shows against both Spurs and Liverpool when he thought he was a midfielder).

Then in our first game back in the Championship (division 1) I remember him walking to the edge of the box to pick up a dead ball and someone behind shouting

”Bloody hell Hallworths come off his line”

As I remember - it was a changing of the guard. Hallworth had been a fantastic stalwart, but then Gerrard come on the scene. I had mixed feelings at the time, because Hallworth hadn’t done anything wrong and while Gerrard went on to have a great career he was still very raw with us and had quite a few rushes of blood. 

14 hours ago, Mr Banks, Zone 3 said:

I saw him twice, first time was City at home and he conceded 5 mostly from being pathetically weak.  The next was the season after against Middlesbrough and he conceded the first time the ball came into our box.  Luckily the Middlesbrough game he wasn't tested again and we went on to win 4-1.

35 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

I saw him twice, first time was City at home and he conceded 5 mostly from being pathetically weak.  The next was the season after against Middlesbrough and he conceded the first time the ball came into our box.  Luckily the Middlesbrough game he wasn't tested again and we went on to win 4-1.

School friend of mine was so furious with big Joe messing around with the team for that City defeat that he never went again.

2 hours ago, Andyt84 said:

Remember that game against Boro - he was on Granda Reports the night before on an “unluckiest man in football” segment - that first goal showed it didn’t pick up 

22 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

Yes, it was a night match when I saw him.  Leyland DAF Trophy or whatever it was called then perhaps.

It was in the League Cup, v Darlington. I just remember him darting around the penalty area all the time, in the days when keepers were a lot less mobile than they are today. I also seem to recall he had a tendency to save with his legs - very unorthodox. I think he was a USA international though, so he must have had something about him.

6 hours ago, Andyt84 said:

I don't think what helped him though was having to wait so long for his debut, that City game was the last match of the season I think and he'd signed in the summer.

20 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I saw the USA international Winston DuBose play his only game, looked a top class keeper, but unfortunately he couldn't get a work permit.

I liked Winston. Big bloke, from what i remember. Always seemed a pretty nice person as well. Can you believe he's 65. FFS!!!

20 minutes ago, GrahamHughes said:

Best keepers I’ve seen not in lower league footy,Goram a million miles ahead of anyone.Honorable mentions Gerrard,Gorton and Hallworth.

Trying to remember that 2nd leg play off game against Leeds, wasn't Andy still celebrating our 2nd goal when they hit back from the kick off and won on away goals?

Long time ago but correct me if I'm wrong

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Trying to remember that 2nd leg play off game against Leeds, wasn't Andy still celebrating our 2nd goal when they hit back from the kick off and won on away goals?

Long time ago but correct me if I'm wrong

Think the whole team was in fairness!

^ Any book on the history of Oldham Athletic would have to include a whole chapter on the subject of last minute disasters: Wolves (FA Cup) 1967, Leeds (both play off games) 1987, Man Utd (FA Cup Semi-Final) 1994, and quite a few others....

8 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

^ Any book on the history of Oldham Athletic would have to include a whole chapter on the subject of last minute disasters: Wolves (FA Cup) 1967, Leeds (both play off games) 1987, Man Utd (FA Cup Semi-Final) 1994, and quite a few others....

Gillingham 2018, Moimbe pulling Eaves' hair off the ball. Would almost certainly have stayed up with three points.

17 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

3 clean sheets in 4 appearances, wasn't it...?

It must be the other that  sticks in my mind where he dropped  everything in a calamitous performance. Can't remember who against.

19 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

3 clean sheets in 4 appearances, wasn't it...?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

It must be the other that  sticks in my mind where he dropped  everything in a calamitous performance. Can't remember who against.

3-3 draw against Burnley apparently, April 1998. Shaun Garnett was sent off in the 55th minute, might have had something to do with it?!

I can't imagine there are too many clubs at our level who have had two European Cup winning medal goalkeepers on their books.  Grobbelaar and McDonnell.  (OK, we were a second tier club then, but still...).  And McDonnell was an unused sub for Liverpool...but still!

Archived