List the best keepers we've ever had in the lower divisions.

On 2/17/2021 at 2:30 PM, Dave_Og said:

Gordine is the first one that I really remember.  I can recall being very impressed that he could jump up and ping the crossbar up and down.  But then I was short at the time (not unreasonably, given I was 6)

In the sixties and seventies, you sometimes saw goalkeepers grab the crossbar in the course of a game, and those made of metal would bounce up and down a few times. I was at a home game against Gillingham in 1968-69 when the crossbar actually broke, and the game was held up for a lengthy period while repairs were made. Gordine would've been our keeper that day - wonder if he caused that to happen?

Edited by Summerdeep
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd like to give an honourable mention to Barry Gordine.   He had the difficult task of replacing David Best in 1968-69, but did well despite the team finishing in 24th place in the old Div

Ogden and Pogs, definitely. I'd add Gary Kelly, but not Miskelly. I thought Ripley was excellent and so was Iverson (surprisingly muted response from some fans, but i thought he was better than Ripley

i have supported latics actively for 60 yrsiin that time missed only 25 home matches-sickness.weddings funerals and greame sharp.there have beensome good keepers and bad.my top choice is david best.wo