MATCH: vs Tranmere Rovers (A) 20/02/21

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had Jombati's tangle with Clarke been in the PL with VAR, he would have had a straight red for headbutting. Surely it's Mo picking him rather than HK. Poor games for Harry Clarke and Badan (why can we never find a decent LB?) Why play Tasdemir out of position when there are strikers on the bench? Tranmere playing possession football and trying to hold onto a one goal lead was stupid against 10 men, it's cost them two points. 

20 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Some of the abuse Jombati's been getting on social media is vile.

He's not been playing well, but it's only football at the end of the day.

Hope he turns it round and proves himself.

Totally agree and some on here are going too far.  He will know himself he’s not playing very well but if he were to read some of these comments it could make his situation a lot worse. He has an enforced break now, let’s hope he comes back better and ready to roll!

Jombati is what a 30+ year old man whose been in the game a long time and one of our most experienced players. I’ve not seen the abuse on other social media platforms and I don’t agree with any personal abuse. But what he did yesterday was an absolute joke. Let’s forget about the shambles of a performance he put in for 45 minutes before the most predictable outcome occurred. 

The ball was played onto him about 2 times before the event, they knew he was a walking red card, we all knew it. All he had to do was stay calm and just play the game. Instead he took it upon himself to literally karate kick a player in the chest. I’m sorry but it was an absolutely pathetic display from him and nothing personally but based on performances he’s not worthy to be in the squad. 

9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Jombati is what a 30+ year old man whose been in the game a long time and one of our most experienced players. I’ve not seen the abuse on other social media platforms and I don’t agree with any personal abuse. But what he did yesterday was an absolute joke. Let’s forget about the shambles of a performance he put in for 45 minutes before the most predictable outcome occurred. 

The ball was played onto him about 2 times before the event, they knew he was a walking red card, we all knew it. All he had to do was stay calm and just play the game. Instead he took it upon himself to literally karate kick a player in the chest. I’m sorry but it was an absolutely pathetic display from him and nothing personally but based on performances he’s not worthy to be in the squad. 

I don't think there's any argument about the level of performance he has been putting in recently..

And you're right - he is a 30+ year old man who's been in the game a long time and it might all be water off a duck's back to him.  But then again it might not - especially some of the stuff which crossed a line.  He's playing shit and possibly feels like shit - what exactly is that level of abuse supposed to achieve? 

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't think there's any argument about the level of performance he has been putting in recently..

And you're right - he is a 30+ year old man who's been in the game a long time and it might all be water off a duck's back to him.  But then again it might not - especially some of the stuff which crossed a line.  He's playing shit and possibly feels like shit - what exactly is that level of abuse supposed to achieve? 

Like calling him Jambutty on here it is just the latest example of the racist nature of a section of our fans.  .....the type I heard in the Noth Stand just below the plush blue seats describing Missilou as a shoe shine boy.   

26 minutes ago, Roberts View said:

Like calling him Jambutty on here it is just the latest example of the racist nature of a section of our fans.  .....the type I heard in the Noth Stand just below the plush blue seats describing Missilou as a shoe shine boy.   

My mate's from Bath and he remembers Jombati playing for Bath City many moons ago. He was christened Jambutty there as well and, apparently, wasn't the slightest bit concerned about it. It was simply a nickname like any other, with no offence implied or intended.

However, when the abuse gets to personal insults, it's gone too far. We all express our opinions and we'll all call a crap performance, but certainly keep the personals out of it.

2 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

My mate's from Bath and he remembers Jombati playing for Bath City many moons ago. He was christened Jambutty there as well and, apparently, wasn't the slightest bit concerned about it. It was simply a nickname like any other, with no offence implied or intended.

However, when the abuse gets to personal insults, it's gone too far. We all express our opinions and we'll all call a crap performance, but certainly keep the personals out of it.

No racism intended doesn’t stop it being racist

58 minutes ago, Roberts View said:

Let me get this right. 

You are choosing to conflate a highly repugnant line you heard in the north stand. With an affectionate nickname that uses the players own name? And even worse then accuse people you don’t even know of being racist??? 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Let me get this right. 

You are choosing to conflate a highly repugnant line you heard in the north stand. With an affectionate nickname that uses the players own name? And even worse then accuse people you don’t even know of being racist??? 

Do you have to know people to suggest they are racist? I never met the Stephen Lawrence attackers but I am pretty sure they are racist. In the 60s and 70s “ Sambo” was used affectionately.it wasn’t right though 

It's just a bit disrespectful if someone's name is slightly hard to remember/pronounce referring to them with something you make up. It's not a nickname if only you use it and could be construed as racist.

Having said that I've referred to Bahamboola as Bamboozler with a degree of admiration and Roy's been calling Jombatti John Battye for half a season and don't regard either as racial slurs.

The initial point is being missed here. “ Jambutty “ could be interpreted as casual racism but the issue is the abuse he has been subjected to following his sending off and performance yesterday. It is in stark contrast to lack of abuse Grant received a few weeks ago following his stupidity. The issue is, Why the difference ?

2 minutes ago, Roberts View said:

The initial point is being missed here. “ Jambutty “ could be interpreted as casual racism but the issue is the abuse he has been subjected to following his sending off and performance yesterday. It is in stark contrast to lack of abuse Grant received a few weeks ago following his stupidity. The issue is, Why the difference ?

We call Robert Grant Bobby. Is that the same ? 

12 minutes ago, Roberts View said:

You’re making a societal issue into an Oldham fans issue. Personal abuse of any player is unacceptable and is usually muttered by uneducated cowards. 

In terms of your perception as to why he gets more abuse. I’m not on other platforms, so I can’t comment on that. However I’ve certainly seen nothing personal about Jombati on here. Criticism yes, but nothing abusive. I think it’s very well policed on here with that sort of thing.  In terms of the sending off if you go back through the thread it’s similar stuff to what Grant got a few weeks ago. IE - ‘stupid’ ‘what was he thinking.’ On a more general point. I think he gets more criticism than Grant on here because he is consistently poor, makes rash decisions and always has a mistake in him but to be fair to him he is being played out of position so it’s not his fault in part. Grant on the other hand has played well in patches, has lead the line well, and chipped in with a few. 

In short. 

Jombati has been poor (out of position) 

Grant has done ok. 

• Matt unfeatured this topic
10 hours ago, Roberts View said:

Maybe you're the racist. Only you thought it was, so that's just how your racist mind works?

9 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Maybe you're the racist. Only you thought it was, so that's just how your racist mind works?

I don't know how that works @mcfluff1985 , nor do I care. What I do care about is where this thread is sliding towards.

Your premise was shaky@Roberts View, it's possibly derogatory at a stretch. I don't know whether he likes it or not, maybe he does - I can understand why sometimes people just let their nicknames ride because it's probably better than the alternatives. Personally, I wouldn't call it him that because I think it's daft.

Anyway,whatever it is, it's not racist.

Back to the football. Cheers.

Edit: I was called Taff for fucking decades, some of my oldest acquaintances still call me that. It never bothered me when I was younger, now it makes my toes curl.

Archived