MATCH: vs Tranmere Rovers (A) 20/02/21

50 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don't know how that works @mcfluff1985 , nor do I care. What I do care about is where this thread is sliding towards.

Your premise was shaky@Roberts View, it's possibly derogatory at a stretch. I don't know whether he likes it or not I don't know. I can understand why sometimes people just let their nicknames ride due to the fact that it's probably better than the alternatives. I wouldn't call it him that, because I think it's stupid. Anyway,whatever it is, it's not racist.

Back to the football. Cheers.

Edit: I was called Taff for fucking decades, some of my oldest acquaintances still call me that. It never bothered me when I was younger, now it makes my toes curl.

Matt

I regularly dip into OWTB and can honestly say I have never viewed anything anyone could label 'racist'

Plenty of robust exchanges between posters but this is a very decent forum 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, al_bro said:

Tranmere playing possession football and trying to hold onto a one goal lead was stupid against 10 men, it's cost them two points. 

Couldn't understand that myself. If they had ramped it up for 10 minutes after their 2nd goal, they could easily have run out 4 or 5-1 winners...

Jombati is probably suffering vile racist abuse on the sewer that is twitter. l wouldnt know, l'm not a nosey cunt so l never quite understood the platform.

Jambutty is not racist, it's a play on his name which happens in many peoples minds when they read his name. l used to use it, but l once wrote Jambo in an attempt to shorten it, not sure if that's racist but it sounds like it, so l stopped.

Lots of our fans are fuckin knobeads.

If it wasn't for COVID then DKD would never have won player of the month, our 'fans' at the matches would have ruined him.

15 hours ago, Roberts View said:

Like calling him Jambutty on here it is just the latest example of the racist nature of a section of our fans.  .....the type I heard in the Noth Stand just below the plush blue seats describing Missilou as a shoe shine boy.   

Could this be defamation?  'Fans on here using Jambutty are racists' is, I think, your assertion.

33 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Some people seem to get out of bed each morning seeking to be offended by something before the kettle's boiled.

33 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Jam butty is fine, calling players cunts and tagging them into your tweets is a bit much.

Agree 100% with both the above posts.

For the life of me I can't interpret "jam butty" as anything other than an affectionate nickname. Who doesn't like jam butties? Now, if the player himself was to say he didn't like it, whatever his reasons, I'd respect that and I wouldn't approve of it being used.

@Roberts View's accusation of racism re this nickname is just silly in my view. Racism is disgusting, but if you use the term inappropriately it can undermine it, the last thing we should want.

31 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Agree 100% with both the above posts.

For the life of me I can't interpret "jam butty" as anything other than an affectionate nickname. Who doesn't like jam butties? Now, if the player himself was to say he didn't like it, whatever his reasons, I'd respect that and I wouldn't approve of it being used.

@Roberts View's accusation of racism re this nickname is just silly in my view. Racism is disgusting, but if you use the term inappropriately it can undermine it, the last thing we should want.

The point is still being missed. It is not about “Jambutty” it is about the abuse on social media that was not targeted at Grant in similar circumstances 

3 minutes ago, Roberts View said:

The point is still being missed. It is not about “Jambutty” it is about the abuse on social media that was not targeted at Grant in similar circumstances 

So why bang on about Jambutty being racist?  I'm sure there's some hideous filthy abuse on Twitter, there generally is.

There was one racist comment on Twitter which rightly was jumped upon by everyone else and the account has since been deleted. Beyond that I don’t think I’ve seen anything particularly over the top, but again, maybe I subconsciously know who to ignore and therefore skim past anything they post.

What I have seen is plenty criticising both Jombati’s performance (which was terrible) and his picking a fight with Clarke (which was stupid and only ever going to result in one thing). I’ve also seen plenty rightly criticising Kewell for not subbing him at HT - it was painfully obvious how it was going to pan out.

Personally, tagging players in any tweets or messages isn’t my style and if people do do that I’d suggest they have a think about what they expect it to achieve.

Regardless, Jombati certainly isn’t the first and nor will he be the last to get called out on message boards and social media as being crap (isn’t that part of what messageboards are for? To discuss the good and the bad?) Let’s just hope he takes a leaf out of DKD’s book and turns it around.

4 hours ago, Roberts View said:

Nope.

As Dave said, you specifically say using Jambutty is racist from members on this board.  Just retract it, delete it and apologise.  Then we can all move on.  Thanks.

33 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Nope.

As Dave said, you specifically say using Jambutty is racist from members on this board.  Just retract it, delete it and apologise.  Then we can all move on.  Thanks.

To those who are not racist in using the term I apologise . To those who say it is affectionate and  use the “ some of my best friends are black therefore I am not racist “ method of diversion I do not. To muddy the waters further, inadvertent casual racism is racist even if the perpetrator is not consciously racist .  As Matt said “it is a pile on and disgraceful” and it is inconceivable that there were no members of this board  chanting Disjointed’s  example chant.

I have made my point and people can accept or reject it. That is the nature of debates 

1 hour ago, south east latic said:

There was one racist comment on Twitter which rightly was jumped upon by everyone else and the account has since been deleted. Beyond that I don’t think I’ve seen anything particularly over the top, but again, maybe I subconsciously know who to ignore and therefore skim past anything they post.

What I have seen is plenty criticising both Jombati’s performance (which was terrible) and his picking a fight with Clarke (which was stupid and only ever going to result in one thing). I’ve also seen plenty rightly criticising Kewell for not subbing him at HT - it was painfully obvious how it was going to pan out.

Personally, tagging players in any tweets or messages isn’t my style and if people do do that I’d suggest they have a think about what they expect it to achieve.

Regardless, Jombati certainly isn’t the first and nor will he be the last to get called out on message boards and social media as being crap (isn’t that part of what messageboards are for? To discuss the good and the bad?) Let’s just hope he takes a leaf out of DKD’s book and turns it around.

Kudos on tagging players not being your style and knowing which posts to skim over and you're right - messageboards and social media are places where you can call people crap (for those that are turned on by that sort of thing..).  But I think Saturday was out of order.  Just because Jombati "isn't the first nor will he be the last to get called out", doesn't make it OK..

I saw the racist tweet you're referring to, I've also seen him referred to as "a prick" on Twitter and "a fucking twat" on this very thread. Throw on top of that the hundreds of tweets digging him out and I can imagine it might get to him.  The guy's probably down, we all want him do do well (I assume), so why do it?  At a time when mental health is getting big coverage, it surprises me how many people still think it's acceptable.  I also very much doubt they'd say it to his face.

It's not like being at a game - something shouted at a game is generally lost in the moment.  Social media is a seemingly infinite record.

Everyone's a bit down particularly at the moment because of lockdown.  Why not just leave it?

Archived