MATCH: vs Barrow (H) 23/02/21

A lot of the inconsistency is down to Kewell , if he's not changing players every week he's changing formation, if it's not formation it's tactics. Keep s consistent side where possible & let other teams worry about changing to our way of play. We used to say best form of defence was attack. The Aussie needs to go, and Kewell🤔😂

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Just listened  to Kewells  post match response  and he said no bite no passion no nothing.Sums it up.

Any player  who puts our shirt on should play for it.

Tonight hardly any  did.Thought Dunn and Lawlor  and late on Vaughan  did ok but overall a shambles and we are soooooo very inconsistent. A gutsy performance  at the Bin Dippers followed by this slutch suns up our season 

Seems to me some players have given up hope on the season. No amount of words from HK will change that attitude now and he's going to get so frustrated he could well walk.

Especially knowing if he stays the recruitment will get even worse.

Watched the goal back.

Firstly, who's header was it from our free kick that was basically a clearance for them??

Secondly I blamed McCalmont for not taking down Quigley, but Diarra's half-hearted tackle actually brought down McCalmont before he had the chance to tackle/foul him!

An absolute comedy of errors and summed up our night.

McCalmont was one of the worst, not closing down opponents and letting them run free.

Having said that 8 of this team could be axed and it wouldn't make the slightest difference.

Why isn't Mo ever interviewed and called to account?

The trust and ptb should make sure he's hauled before the cameras to face the music he deserves.

Failing that call Piers Morgan in tell it as it is to him. 😀

14 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I know you have to take interviews with a pinch of salt, but I'm glad that Kewell called the players out after that.  We need an improvement on Saturday.

14 hours ago, Flemboy said:

Just listened  to Kewells  post match response  and he said no bite no passion no nothing.Sums it up.

Any player  who puts our shirt on should play for it.

Tonight hardly any  did.Thought Dunn and Lawlor  and late on Vaughan  did ok but overall a shambles and we are soooooo very inconsistent. A gutsy performance  at the Bin Dippers followed by this slutch suns up our season 

Harry seemed as perplexed as I was with last night’s performance. 

He spoke honestly and with barely contained anger - he couldn’t really do anything else.

I do think he made mistakes with his team selection - Tasdemir is clearly way off being match ready and not picking Piergianni was baffling, but he stuck with the bulk of players who fought so resolutely to gain a point at Tranmere. 

To a certain extent I can understand that the form of  Badan, McAlmont, Jameson and Clarke (who needs to play alongside Piergianni in my opinion) will be inconsistent. But it was harder to see Bahamboula and Hilssner perform so poorly. Having said that I still would not have taken either off in a game that was obviously going to be decided by a single goal.  

His substitutions gave us an unbalanced look and we lost our shape and with it the game. It was not the time to blood Vaughan and he should not have been brought on. 

Kewell states that he and the players will watch a rerun of the game - I hope that they are suitably embarrassed.

A horror show.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Harry seemed as perplexed as I was with last night’s performance. 

He spoke honestly and with barely contained anger - he couldn’t really do anything else.

I do think he made mistakes with his team selection - Tasdemir is clearly way off being match ready and not picking Piergianni was baffling, but he stuck with the bulk of players who fought so resolutely to gain a point at Tranmere. 

To a certain extent I can understand that the form of  Badan, McAlmont, Jameson and Clarke (who needs to play alongside Piergianni in my opinion) will be inconsistent. But it was harder to see Bahamboula and Hilssner perform so poorly. Having said that I still would not have taken either off in a game that was obviously going to be decided by a single goal.  

His substitutions gave us an unbalanced look and we lost our shape and with it the game. It was not the time to blood Vaughan and he should not have been brought on. 

Kewell states that he and the players will watch a rerun of the game - I hope that they are suitably embarrassed.

A horror show.

We will see which of those not interested he drops. Hardly any I guess as he's no alternatives.

Having watched all games this season I've noticed a few slow starters in particular who hardly touch the ball in the first 15 minutes, for example McAleny and McCalmont on Tuesday.

HK needs to install in all the players the need to take the early initiative.

The lack of a genuine ball winner in the side is one reason the opposition take control, unfortunately we haven't much on offer in the squad, although Diarra might be worth a try instead of the disappointing McCalmont alongside  Hilssner.

McAleny has a tendency to wait for the ball wide meaning he's out of the game for long spells and I'd like to see him up front with Grant.

Piergianni for all his flaws is a battler and must start at Carlisle.

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Why isn't Mo ever interviewed and called to account?

The trust and ptb should make sure he's hauled before the cameras to face the music he deserves.

This for me is where the problem lies at the club!

You have this so called sporting director who affects 90% of what goes on with the club! Lurks in the background with no accountability for his actions and has complete disregard for the fans!

57 minutes ago, Canada_latic said:

This for me is where the problem lies at the club!

You have this so called sporting director who affects 90% of what goes on with the club! Lurks in the background with no accountability for his actions and has complete disregard for the fans!

His excuse is that his English isn't good. However it seems to be good enough to speak to agents and others at the club. There's no point him being interviewed by a club employee, it has to be by PTB or the Trust, but he'll never agree to that.

HK played the diamond in midfield again against there five, which has failed miserably in the past. It took too long to change by bringing Diarra on. He was right though, mot of them seemed like they just didn't want to be out there getting wet. Maybe something behind the scenes has upset them.

25 minutes ago, al_bro said:

His excuse is that his English isn't good. However it seems to be good enough to speak to agents and others at the club. There's no point him being interviewed by a club employee, it has to be by PTB or the Trust, but he'll never agree to that.

It's no excuse.  Use a translator.

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Having watched all games this season I've noticed a few slow starters in particular who hardly touch the ball in the first 15 minutes, for example McAleny and McCalmont on Tuesday.

HK needs to install in all the players the need to take the early initiative.

The lack of a genuine ball winner in the side is one reason the opposition take control, unfortunately we haven't much on offer in the squad, although Diarra might be worth a try instead of the disappointing McCalmont alongside  Hilssner.

McAleny has a tendency to wait for the ball wide meaning he's out of the game for long spells and I'd like to see him up front with Grant.

Piergianni for all his flaws is a battler and must start at Carlisle.

The logical thing to do this weekend is to bring Grant back for Tasdemir and bring Piergianni in at the back. 

One of McAlmont or Clarke should be the other loanee to miss out.

20 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The logical thing to do this weekend is to bring Grant back for Tasdemir and bring Piergianni in at the back. 

One of McAlmont or Clarke should be the other loanee to miss out.

Anything to get something from the game, like us they carry a strong attacking intent but defend far better.

I'd take a point right now

23 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

As a team we were appalling.

Individually Adams, McAleny, DKD, Diarra and Lawlor (disappointing for the goal but good saves in the rest of the game) were average.  Jameson improved in the 2nd half after a ropey 1st half.  Barnes was unlucky.  Vaughan got involved which is a credit to him for not shying away but looks far from ready from the 1st team.

Bahamboula (albeit out of position), Hilßner, Clarke and McCalmont were poor.  I know he would've got a suspension but I was really hoping that McCalmont would've brought down Quigley for the goal.  He was way too soft with him.

Badan looks alright on the ball but he scares me defensively without an experienced head to help him out.  The only leeway I'm giving Blackwood is that he's returning from a while out injured but he doesn't look up for the fight.  Whelan doesn't either.  Tasdemir is lightweight but worse he didn't play with any purpose and isn't up to speed at all.  Grant earned his place at Forest Green and Tasdemir is not deserving of his place at all.

Barrow were limited.  Eardley was decent and their strikers were a nuisance although if they were more clinical they would've been out of sight earlier.  But from minute one they knew exactly what they'd been told to do by their manager.  They put our defence under so much pressure with simple high percentage up-and-unders and made things awkward for us.  On the other hand we didn't start off with much of a clue how to play and seemed to get less uncertain as the game went on.  Kewell lost the tactical battle from the sidelines tonight and deserves blame for it.

However I can see why he made the selection and changes he did.  The only change pre-game I would've made was Tasdemir for Grant.  Bahamboula and Hilßner didn't look sharp tonight and need to be managed with a lot of games in quick succession rather than flogged, so I can understand bringing them off.  Nothing he could do about Badan and the Barnes injuries and while I would've brought Pidge on for Badan, Diarra did OK.

My biggest issue is with our squad players.  On too many occasions they've been given chances and not taken them.  Looking at our squad there will be players who will move onto better things and players who we'll want to upgrade from.  It's the middle section that we'll keep and at the moment there's very few players in that bracket.  Adams, DKD, maybe Pidge, Diarra and Jameson at a stretch are the only players I can think of.

So for me the rest of the squad has 17 games to prove that they can cut it in professional football.  I don't mind Kewell giving them the chance to prove themselves in games like tonight, hopefully they do eventually play well and give us continuity going into next season, but at the moment they absolutely need to do more.  Continue like that and they'll be on the scrapheap come the summer.

Very good post this, summed up much of what I was enduring last night.

I know it might be a bit knee jerk, but watching a performance as utterly hopeless as that one makes me worry that the wheels might be coming off.

the players appeared clueless and/or disinterested, almost as if they couldn’t understand the way they were set up and what the team selection (both pre and post the mass substitutions) was all about.

the window looks as though it has weakened us, and added an extra level of tinkering opportunity/confusion with 7 loanees to shuffle around each game.

Why is Tasdemir anywhere near the starting 11?

why do we look lightweight going forward and chaotic at the back

why are players played out of position?

I am  concerned that Mo is now right back in the thick of things calling the shots, add to that Kewell’s obvious desire to be seen as a tactical genius despite not being one (although I do give him credit for wanting to attack and score goals) plus the most shambolic defending (whoever plays) week in week out and I am a bit worried.

we know there is not much between any of the teams this season, so as much as that gave us hope that we could string some wins together, it also means we could get beat by anyone. Lose the next two, which are both tough games, and we will be looking over our shoulder.

• Matt unfeatured this topic
15 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

I'd rather he put pierrgianni up front. At least he'd win a header lol

Yes, to throw a lightweight kid up against 2 big centre backs rather than Pidge makes me wonder what they teach on these modern day coaching courses.

Certainly not common sense.

Archived