MATCH: vs Carlisle United (A) 27/02/21

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That appears to be saying among other things, that we've won two and lost three of our last five home games which gives us an average points per game of 0.87 while four points from our last five games overall gives us 1.21 PPG.  

The only solace I can take from the terrible performance on Tuesday and Southend's win last night, is that this league is very random.  We have as much of a chance against the top teams as we have against the strugglers.

Although we potentially have a few players missing.  CBJ, Garrity and Dearnley were out injured on Tuesday and I'm not sure whether any will be back on Saturday.  Badan and Barnes picked up injuries against Barrow and I'd be surprised if they recover.  Ntambwe was on compassionate leave so hard to know whether he'll be available.  Jombati returns from suspension but I don't think that we should throw him straight back in, partly for his confidence as much as for his lack of competence.

The team could be a bit patched up but this is what I'd go for:

Lawlor

Adams

Clarke

Piergianni

Jameson

Hilßner

Bahamboula

McCalmont

DKD

Grant

McAleny

There are quite a few question marks though.  Jameson is out of position at left back but probably our best option for balance.  I'd like to see him get a run in the side, he's made mistakes but settles into games pretty well and improves.  Also playing Jombati out of position at left back could shoot his confidence to pieces.

I'd have rather we played Pidge on Tuesday as he would done a lot better against Quigley and James.  I'd have him in to guide Clarke and Jameson through the game but I'm wary that he could struggle against Carlisle's pacy attackers.  I thought Diarra did OK on Tuesday (minus the goal) and Clarke's recent form hasn't been great, so with the loanee situation he'll need to improve to be certain of a place.

Bahamboula should play deeper than Tuesday as he can get on the ball more easily and have a stronger influence on the game.  Him and Hilßner will need a rest at some point in the next month but not on Saturday.  Whelan really should be giving Kewell a difficult decision in midfield but so far he hasn't.

Just as Blackwood should be doing up front, but for now Grant is definitely our best option alongside McAleny and acts as a good foil for him.  Tasdemir hasn't earned his place on his last two showings.

They'll start as favourites but their recent form hasn't been great.

The way Harry set us up Tuesday I’m not sure Pidge would have done any better. He would have equally been run as ragged by James. But with Pidge in the side we usually sit deeper, which would have been better all round as there’d have been be more space in the centre of the park for our creative players.

4 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

The only solace I can take from the terrible performance on Tuesday and Southend's win last night, is that this league is very random.  We have as much of a chance against the top teams as we have against the strugglers.

Although we potentially have a few players missing.  CBJ, Garrity and Dearnley were out injured on Tuesday and I'm not sure whether any will be back on Saturday.  Badan and Barnes picked up injuries against Barrow and I'd be surprised if they recover.  Ntambwe was on compassionate leave so hard to know whether he'll be available.  Jombati returns from suspension but I don't think that we should throw him straight back in, partly for his confidence as much as for his lack of competence.

The team could be a bit patched up but this is what I'd go for:

Lawlor

Adams

Clarke

Piergianni

Jameson

Hilßner

Bahamboula

McCalmont

DKD

Grant

McAleny

No solace for me, still hurting from Tuesday.

Unacceptable performance, yet ranting and raving at the players may not make any difference, certainly didn't work for Dino with the senior players, he gave it a good go mind.

Your analysis of the defensive dilemmas is fair, several jigsaw pieces missing, so it wont look right whichever way.

Pidge has to be there, I worry that Clarke isnt right, really struggled on Tuesday, I would gamble on not picking him to help him recover (if it is an injury), so Adams, Jameson, Pidge and Diarra.

No proper left back is a worry.

I believe HK is inclined to have Blackwood in the side, Conor Mac has to play.

Having to include Tasdemir would create an issue, so probably Grant would need to make way in your suggested eleven, hence a weaker side in the end.

I would play Bobby Grant for sure.

7 hours ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

The way Harry set us up Tuesday I’m not sure Pidge would have done any better. He would have equally been run as ragged by James. But with Pidge in the side we usually sit deeper, which would have been better all round as there’d have been be more space in the centre of the park for our creative players.

With Pidge in the side we have conceded 3 or more 10 times and of the top of Amy head we have not conceded 3 in any game he hasn’t played

1 hour ago, Roberts View said:

With Pidge in the side we have conceded 3 or more 10 times and of the top of Amy head we have not conceded 3 in any game he hasn’t played

Interesting. But horses for courses.

Barrow didn’t have much to offer up front, except the long ball over the top.

In the way both teams set up Tuesday everyone was totally cramped into midfield. This meant our creative players – Bamboulah, Hilsner, even DKD had no room to move. My point is that a priori it would have been even worse with Pidge, as he is slower than the others.

But with Pidge in the side we would probably have sat deeper giving our creative players more room, and the long ball tactic would have been nullified.

Kewell was either just out thunk, or he wasn’t expecting them to play the way they did.

2 hours ago, Roberts View said:

With CBJ at left back our league record Is 9 3 9  ie 30 pts from 21 games .......without him it is 1 2 5 ie 5 points from 8 games 

Also Cameron doesn’t like his name being abbreviated to CBJ. Please can you call him Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, thank you. 

19 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Also Cameron doesn’t like his name being abbreviated to CBJ. Please can you call him Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, thank you. 

This is social media, short descriptions are commonplace, it  helps to avoid RSI.👨‍💻😉

Exposing myself here but I'd play Jombati at right back ( natural position and he's not let us down there) and push Adams into his natural position. 

Tranmere away saw us play without a ball winner and 3 luxury players who don't offer anything defensively in Bahamboula, Tasdemir and Mcaleny. Personally away from home I don't think we can set up in this way. I'd actually consider using Bahamboula off the bench away from home. Mcaleny would always start ahead of him. 

However what we know is Kewell doesn't think about shape, covering full backs and pressing from the front which none of the players I've named here do. 

55 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Exposing myself here but I'd play Jombati at right back ( natural position and he's not let us down there) and push Adams into his natural position. 

Tranmere away saw us play without a ball winner and 3 luxury players who don't offer anything defensively in Bahamboula, Tasdemir and Mcaleny. Personally away from home I don't think we can set up in this way. I'd actually consider using Bahamboula off the bench away from home. Mcaleny would always start ahead of him. 

However what we know is Kewell doesn't think about shape, covering full backs and pressing from the front which none of the players I've named here do. 

I'd be careful of exposing yourself in public.😆

1 hour ago, welshgaz said:

Jombati? Well he's been crap in every position. Why play him as a RB? He's total shit. Has he had a good game? At all? Ever for us? I actually can't believe how bad he is. 

Tasdemir is utterly unfit. I actually resent playing someone who gives us nothing until at the end of his stay when he reaches a bit of fitness, perhaps, maybe - why are we doing this? Compo for previous tensions? I believe/heard he's a talented lad, but he's so far off the pace he really needs to be used as a sub at most. Drop Bambam in favour of an unfit player from another club who's done fa? No. Bambam should be played to increase his own physical fitness levels (and he's been brilliant - why use him as a sub?). Tasdemir's inclusion stinks. We didn't need another player in this position. We needed quality at the back and in CM. We also needed a decent replacement for Rowe. We got none of that. Why? Hm? I wonder. 

Kewell thinks about attacking shape. That's a big problem. He thinks he's clever, but he isn't when it comes to defence. You've got to get the defensive shape right as well as the attacking flow. That might not be entirely his fault, thinking about Wheater and recruitment, but who knows.

Still, back to the point. Jombati is total crap. Who on earth thinks he was a good signing...He should never play for us again. That little kid who looked like a ball boy showed more in his cameo.

11 hours ago, disjointed said:

Don't get dragged in. 

I believe that no-one should spend that amount of time using burner/old email accounts to continually try to gain access to something. Especially when that sole reason is just being a bit of mildy inconvenient background noise. I'm sure there's a German word for it, I'm sure I've said that before. I guess there's probably a word for that too.

I imagine the back four that finished the game on Tuesday will be the one that starts tomorrow, with Jameson at left back and Diarra taking a break from his role as Social Media officer to play a game of football. Wouldn't surprise me to see Garrity and Grant back involved too...

13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I imagine the back four that finished the game on Tuesday will be the one that starts tomorrow, with Jameson at left back and Diarra taking a break from his role as Social Media officer to play a game of football. Wouldn't surprise me to see Garrity and Grant back involved too...

Not totally against that back four, is Pidge out of favour or simply dropped I wonder?

Happy enough with Grant coming back in, not so much with Garrity as I guess it means McCalmont would drop out.

Archived