MATCH: vs Southend United (H) 06/03/21

44 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We appear to be getting to that time in the season again when any chance of a late charge for play offs has evaporated and as we are safe from relegation tools are being downed. I did say prior to the Carlisle game that I feared this would happen and despite last Saturday's very good result I still felt that this was going to happen.

This happened pretty routinely in league 1 and now is happening in league 2 its probably why most of them play at this level. We have 14 games left and 42 points to attempt to win (solid maths there :)) the majority of this squad are out of contract and due to rotation will get game time between now and the end of the season. Its upto them, they can play out the rest of this season going through the motions and get released and probably end up on the footballing scrap heap or they can knuckle down and graft and get a contract either here or elsewhere. I don't expect them to do it for me or for the shirt or for the club or even for the Head Coach I expect them to do it for themselves.

Are you sure?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We appear to be getting to that time in the season again when any chance of a late charge for play offs has evaporated and as we are safe from relegation tools are being downed. I did say prior to the Carlisle game that I feared this would happen and despite last Saturday's very good result I still felt that this was going to happen.

This happened pretty routinely in league 1 and now is happening in league 2 its probably why most of them play at this level. We have 14 games left and 42 points to attempt to win (solid maths there :)) the majority of this squad are out of contract and due to rotation will get game time between now and the end of the season. Its upto them, they can play out the rest of this season going through the motions and get released and probably end up on the footballing scrap heap or they can knuckle down and graft and get a contract either here or elsewhere. I don't expect them to do it for me or for the shirt or for the club or even for the Head Coach I expect them to do it for themselves.

Kewell has been using language recently that was pretty much writing off this season. Low standards permeate this club from top to bottom. 

54 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'm not disagreeing but I don't understand why they would train and prepare all week, then once its Saturday not be interested.

They are only playing a game of football.  Ignoring the fact they have little to play for, their will of wanting to win should be enough.  

Make no mistake....this lot and the head coach are more than capable of taking this club into the National League. If we were to end up in a relegation scrap we are definitely not equipped to come through it.

We had 8 shots and only 1!!! (one) (uno) on target today against the next to bottom club. They are absolutely bloody rubbish and still managed 15!! (4 on target)

I cannot defend Kewell any longer and if it’s true that Mo is recruiting the players and Kewell is just involved in the coaching then more fool him!!!

We are heading for what could well will be our worst ever home record and it’s a bloody good job there are no fans in the ground watching!!

I really couldn’t care less whether he stays or goes....our football club under this regime is totally fucked!!!

19 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Are you sure?

The last 6 seasons the 23rd placed team has received 

19/20 Macc Town 32pts * on 39 games

18/19 Notts County 41  pts

17/18 Barnet 46 pts

16/17 Hartlepool 46 pts

15/16 Dagenham & Redbridge 34 pts

14/15 Cheltenham 41 pts.

So based on that 47 points is the magic number that sees you home 2 wins and 2 draws from 14 games will see us get that.

The final 14 games in 17/18 yielded 17 points,  3 wins and 8 draws. It would take a far more spectacular collapse from here for us to go down to the national league.

Only 2 go down from L2 where 4 went down from L1 and we went down on the last day and we were only 1 goal either scored or kept out from staying up.

39 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

I'm not disagreeing but I don't understand why they would train and prepare all week, then once its Saturday not be interested.

They are only playing a game of football.  Ignoring the fact they have little to play for, their will of wanting to win should be enough.  

Well it's not that they don't want to win their just isn't the same intensity as you would have if you were fighting at either end of the table which focus's minds.

36 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

The good news is that we're so inconsistent that I find it hard to believe we won't pick up the two or three wins we need from 14 games to stay up. 

Exactly my logic, although it's also why the playoffs are so unlikely too.

3 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Exactly.  That attitude got us relegated from League One - listless draws whilst everyone else started scrapping for survival and picking up points.

I'll never forget that Donny game at home, possibly last home game of the season? Donny players were already on the beach as they were safely midtable, and our lot played exactly the same. Just total complacency, and I'm getting that same vibe from this lot 

That's not to say I think we'll be dragged into the mire. But we've been here before 

Today was probably our worst performance of the season. It truly was a mediocre game of football. We were fortunate that a hardworking but limited Southend side failed in front of goal. Lawlor made two decent saves and they hit the woodwork twice.

As bad as we were today, we did have three good chances with Grant failing with two headed efforts - and Piergianni should have done better with his at the death.

Once again the familiar old failings were there in abundance; passes failing to find the man, clearances lumped aimlessly forward and even basic technical skills sorely lacking.

Once again many had poor games: 

Bahamboula - largely anonymous and Southend shackled him well

Grant - poor game and not comfortable playing the loan striker role

Keilor-Dunn - outmuscled all game and contributed very little.

McCalmont - caught in possession too often, poor distribution 

Tasdemir - had a few more touches but had little impact

The only positives were a good goalkeeping show by Lawlor and Fage looked okay going forward.

We shouldn’t forget that we had a number of players out injured and one suspended but that only served to illustrate the lack of depth in our squad.

The woeful home form continues. Yet another horror show.

Occasionally I feel like bad for Piergianni. He gets grief for lumping it forward, but at times, especially in home games, the movement in front of him is non existent and he basically has no choice but to punt it to the wings and hope for the best. Not having a proper centre forward has absolutely fucked us at home, there's absolutely no out ball when the opposition is compact. I know he was never a massive favourite but we're crying out for someone like Aaron Holloway to lump balls to and bring others into play. Grant isn't and never will be that player 

25 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The only positives were a good goalkeeping show by Lawlor and Fage looked okay going forward.

We shouldn’t forget that we had a number of players out injured and one suspended but that only served to illustrate the lack of depth in our squad.

Fair assessment, just feels like death of a thousand cuts being a Latics supporter.

Fage is interesting, Roy reminds us he has "pace to burn", did ok today, wasnt bundled off the ball so much.

Odd positive, but Conor Mac showed his quality in glimpses, marking a change to the previous 60 minutes of nowt much. I argue he should be retained, others think he's nothing more than his goal tally ...

Yes the squad is weak, still should have put them under pressure, we didnt.

I'm probably not alone in looking at the table, thinking christ there isnt much quality, just a couple of sides (I like Cheltenham) who have been on the verge of going up, or have thrown money at it. Surely we should be capable of challenging.

Salford have no excuses if they fail to go up, none.

So I agree, little to cheer about, although I did smile when the lad at Bratford put one in late on to take some shine off Bolton

52 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Today was probably our worst performance of the season. It truly was a mediocre game of football. We were fortunate that a hardworking but limited Southend side failed in front of goal. Lawlor made two decent saves and they hit the woodwork twice.

As bad as we were today, we did have three good chances with Grant failing with two headed efforts - and Piergianni should have done better with his at the death.

Once again the familiar old failings were there in abundance; passes failing to find the man, clearances lumped aimlessly forward and even basic technical skills sorely lacking.

Once again many had poor games: 

Bahamboula - largely anonymous and Southend shackled him well

Grant - poor game and not comfortable playing the loan striker role

Keilor-Dunn - outmuscled all game and contributed very little.

McCalmont - caught in possession too often, poor distribution 

Tasdemir - had a few more touches but had little impact

The woeful home form continues. Yet another horror show.

While I thought Piergianni's distribution wasn't good (maybe because the movement in front wasn't good), I thought he did the defensive basics well and was more decisive than any other Latic on the pitch.  I too was disappointed about the header at the end, he got very slightly underneath it but he's the player I would've expected to score it.

On the other hand I thought that Diarra was really poor in the air.

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'll never forget that Donny game at home, possibly last home game of the season? Donny players were already on the beach as they were safely midtable, and our lot played exactly the same. Just total complacency, and I'm getting that same vibe from this lot 

That's not to say I think we'll be dragged into the mire. But we've been here before 

Are you joking? They battered us - we were lucky to escape with a point.

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

Unlikely?? That's won the understatement of the year award! 

😄 I thought the "so" part of that was enough?!

Ah well, yeah playoffs are nigh on an impossibility, especially on today's showing.

The frustrating part is that it wouldn't surprise me if we score 3 or 4 in a few games between now and the end of the season, but I also see many more performances like today too.  Kewell has to be very careful that the standard doesn't drop consistently before the end of the season, if it does he won't deserve a 2nd season in charge.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Yeah just saw that myself. They looked far more likely than we did, even if they failed to hit the target

Absolutely, which is sort of my point. They were on the front foot for large parts despite us being the ones with something to play for. That sort of complacency has cost us before.

Archived