Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Let’s be honest, it’s all over for this season isn’t it. 
My heart says we could be in a good position for next year if we keep the gaffer plus 4/5 of this squad. 
My head, and the overwhelming evidence, suggests we’ll be lucky to have any of this seasons team next year.

I’m intrigued to see who you’d keep for next season, and the justification if you can be arsed.

 

I’d keep;

 

Bilboa - don’t think he’s not a bad second choice, willing to gamble on getting a better number one than lawlor though.

 

adams - love the guy, proper player

 

jamieson - 50/50 about this guy but taking into account potential wages, worth a punt if you get two experienced centre halves for him to challenge

 

 Baden - still think there’s a very good player in there 

 

mcalmont - fuck knows why coz he’s been wank for 80% of the games but I still think there’s a player in there...or is that the deluded Leeds fans duping me?

 

hillsner - far too good for this league....hopefully his breathing problems give us a chance of signing him

 

bahamboula - has he been given the freedom of the town yet?

 

DKD - worst player I’ve seen in a latics shirt initially. Deserves another year though coz he’s proved me and a lot of others wrong. 


Blackwood - not a wind up,honest. He must have something and deserves another year. Totally different culture, league and offers something no other player does. Plus, he could have settled for an easy life in the a league. He didn’t. 

 

that’s it for me, willing to fuck the rest off. I’m guessing they’ll be a few counter arguments so ill get my argument in early for the following;

 

clarke - we wanted him to be good coz he’s young, bald and English. Let’s have it right though, he’s been wank.

 

pidge - said it last year and I’ll say it again, not good enough. Bottom of league two is his absolute max.

 

mcaleny - doesn’t do enough for me. Good record in front of goal but his overall contribution is poor. I’d hazard a guess that the majority of his goals have been consolation goals. Big Dog will confirm with that dodgy site he uses.

 

Dearnley - similar to Clarke, majority of here have decided to like him coz he’s young, English and hungry. Shown fuck all in the time he’s been here though hasn’t he if we’re honest.

 

Like I say, interested to hear other people opinions. Don’t just disagree though coz my display pic annoys you (I was right about him aswell though wasn’t i 😉)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Next season will be no different. We will get more or less a completely new bunch of Mo's signings which will replicate his past record. One thing which may be different, is hat fans may be in the gro

Moneyball involves deep and intelligent analysis. We just use a tombola drum. 

l'm proper concerned. Sacking a manager who was making progress and temporarily appointing his polar opposite but not backing him to be even here next year seems like the epitome of a chapter cal

In the main I agree with what you said, but you are saying keep Blackwood in favour of McAleny? That sounds crazy to me. McAleny is a great player & Blackwood is just pants. I'd be tempted to keep Dearnley in the hope he can find some fitness but as you say, Pidge & Clarke can go for all I care. Pidge in particular is just not up to the job if we have any aspirations of challenging next year.

Edited by Barry Bosnian
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Let’s be honest, it’s all over for this season isn’t it. 
My heart says we could be in a good position for next year if we keep the gaffer plus 4/5 of this squad. 
My head, and the overwhelming evidence, suggests we’ll be lucky to have any of this seasons team next year.

I’m intrigued to see who you’d keep for next season, and the justification if you can be arsed.

 

I’d keep;

 

Bilboa - don’t think he’s not a bad second choice, willing to gamble on getting a better number one than lawlor though.

 

adams - love the guy, proper player

 

jamieson - 50/50 about this guy but taking into account potential wages, worth a punt if you get two experienced centre halves for him to challenge

 

 Baden - still think there’s a very good player in there 

 

mcalmont - fuck knows why coz he’s been wank for 80% of the games but I still think there’s a player in there...or is that the deluded Leeds fans duping me?

 

hillsner - far too good for this league....hopefully his breathing problems give us a chance of signing him

 

bahamboula - has he been given the freedom of the town yet?

 

DKD - worst player I’ve seen in a latics shirt initially. Deserves another year though coz he’s proved me and a lot of others wrong. 


Blackwood - not a wind up,honest. He must have something and deserves another year. Totally different culture, league and offers something no other player does. Plus, he could have settled for an easy life in the a league. He didn’t. 

 

that’s it for me, willing to fuck the rest off. I’m guessing they’ll be a few counter arguments so ill get my argument in early for the following;

 

clarke - we wanted him to be good coz he’s young, bald and English. Let’s have it right though, he’s been wank.

 

pidge - said it last year and I’ll say it again, not good enough. Bottom of league two is his absolute max.

 

mcaleny - doesn’t do enough for me. Good record in front of goal but his overall contribution is poor. I’d hazard a guess that the majority of his goals have been consolation goals. Big Dog will confirm with that dodgy site he uses.

 

Dearnley - similar to Clarke, majority of here have decided to like him coz he’s young, English and hungry. Shown fuck all in the time he’s been here though hasn’t he if we’re honest.

 

Like I say, interested to hear other people opinions. Don’t just disagree though coz my display pic annoys you (I was right about him aswell though wasn’t i 😉)

Difficult to engage with a post like this anymore because all logic and reasoning goes out of the window. Most will go. A few will stay. 
 

One thing I will say is- any head coach who can’t take a single point of the bottom half at home doesn’t deserve another year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Difficult to engage with a post like this anymore because all logic and reasoning goes out of the window. Most will go. A few will stay. 
 

One thing I will say is- any head coach who can’t take a single point of the bottom half at home doesn’t deserve another year. 


You’re not wrong regarding the first point. 

 

I do like Kewell and my argument would be he’s working with a budget which is a lot smaller than what Dino had.  The home form is scandalous though and him, and the owners, are lucky the games have been behind closed doors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

In the main I agree with what you said, but you are saying keep Blackwood in favour of McAleny? That sounds crazy to me. McAleny is a great player & Blackwood is just pants. I'd be tempted to keep Dearnley in the hope he can find some fitness but as you say, Pidge & Clarke can go for all I care. Pidge in particular is just not up to the job if we have any aspirations of challenging next year.

Yeah I get that about mcaleny, I just think it’s big money to keep him and I’m not fully convinced by his overall contribution yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that Clarke has been poor, possibly since early January, but I think if we had used him a little more sparingly we would have seen a different player, he is a young lad  who might just have played too many games. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I agree that Clarke has been poor, possibly since early January, but I think if we had used him a little more sparingly we would have seen a different player, he is a young lad  who might just have played too many games. 

This.

 

i only hope that we haven’t completely knocked his confidence. The lad had his 20th birthday on Tuesday and he played his 25th game in his first season in league 2. Quite clearly he needs a break. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

How close to zero would the chances of getting someone new in to replace McAleney?  I'd say pretty close. 

This is what I disagree with, I know I’m in the minority but he’s anonymous for large part of games for me. His goal record can’t be sniffed at, I get that.  He doesn’t offer any protection for the full back or have any involvement in anything outside the box. I wouldn’t be arsed if he left, wingers aren’t hard to come by at this level either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Let’s be honest, it’s all over for this season isn’t it. 
My heart says we could be in a good position for next year if we keep the gaffer plus 4/5 of this squad. 
My head, and the overwhelming evidence, suggests we’ll be lucky to have any of this seasons team next year.

I’m intrigued to see who you’d keep for next season, and the justification if you can be arsed.

 

I’d keep;

 

Bilboa - don’t think he’s not a bad second choice, willing to gamble on getting a better number one than lawlor though.

 

adams - love the guy, proper player

 

jamieson - 50/50 about this guy but taking into account potential wages, worth a punt if you get two experienced centre halves for him to challenge

 

 Baden - still think there’s a very good player in there 

 

mcalmont - fuck knows why coz he’s been wank for 80% of the games but I still think there’s a player in there...or is that the deluded Leeds fans duping me?

 

hillsner - far too good for this league....hopefully his breathing problems give us a chance of signing him

 

bahamboula - has he been given the freedom of the town yet?

 

DKD - worst player I’ve seen in a latics shirt initially. Deserves another year though coz he’s proved me and a lot of others wrong. 


Blackwood - not a wind up,honest. He must have something and deserves another year. Totally different culture, league and offers something no other player does. Plus, he could have settled for an easy life in the a league. He didn’t. 

 

that’s it for me, willing to fuck the rest off. I’m guessing they’ll be a few counter arguments so ill get my argument in early for the following;

 

clarke - we wanted him to be good coz he’s young, bald and English. Let’s have it right though, he’s been wank.

 

pidge - said it last year and I’ll say it again, not good enough. Bottom of league two is his absolute max.

 

mcaleny - doesn’t do enough for me. Good record in front of goal but his overall contribution is poor. I’d hazard a guess that the majority of his goals have been consolation goals. Big Dog will confirm with that dodgy site he uses.

 

Dearnley - similar to Clarke, majority of here have decided to like him coz he’s young, English and hungry. Shown fuck all in the time he’s been here though hasn’t he if we’re honest.

 

Like I say, interested to hear other people opinions. Don’t just disagree though coz my display pic annoys you (I was right about him aswell though wasn’t i 😉)

 

Of the loanees, Clarke, Garrity should go back to their parent clubs at the end of this campaign. Tasdemir should return to Peterborough now. I would look to keep Lawlor and Grant (realistic targets) and also McAlmont and Hilssner (bit of a stretch)

 

And I would give/offer Badan, Barnes, Blackwood, Whelan, Jameson and DKD a place in next season’s squad.

 

As for the more experienced players: Bilboe, Adams, Piergianni, Jombati, Borthwick-Jackson I would only keep Adams and CBJ. The others would benefit from a fresh start elsewhere before fans are let back in to heap vitriol on their heads.

And then there’s the foreign contingent... Diarra, Ntambwe should be released. But I would keep Fage.

 

Dearnley has been very unfortunate with injuries in his time with us. I disagree with your considered opinion that he’s ‘shown fuck all ...’ definitely keep him.

 

McAleny is a top top striker at this level. To dismiss him as you do is frankly, in my opinion, naive. Definitely keep him.

 

Paul Murray has suggested that two or three of the scholars will be offered professional contracts for next season. Good news.

 

And last but NOT least..I would offer Bahamboula whatever he wants to stay.

 

😎

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

This is what I disagree with, I know I’m in the minority but he’s anonymous for large part of games for me. His goal record can’t be sniffed at, I get that.  He doesn’t offer any protection for the full back or have any involvement in anything outside the box. I wouldn’t be arsed if he left, wingers aren’t hard to come by at this level either.

 

If he only touches the ball three times in a game and each time it's to put the ball in the net, he's worth his weight in gold. 

 

As for the rest - apart from Hilsner, Adams, Bahamboula and McAleney and possibly Dearnley the entire squad's probably replaceable...

 

Edited by JoeP
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

This is what I disagree with, I know I’m in the minority but he’s anonymous for large part of games for me. His goal record can’t be sniffed at, I get that.  He doesn’t offer any protection for the full back or have any involvement in anything outside the box. I wouldn’t be arsed if he left,  aren’t hard to come by at this level either.

But what's that got to do with replacing his goals? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

 

Of the loanees, Clarke, Garrity should go back to their parent clubs at the end of this campaign. Tasdemir should return to Peterborough now. I would look to keep Lawlor and Grant (realistic targets) and also McAlmont and Hilssner (bit of a stretch)

 

And I would give/offer Badan, Barnes, Blackwood, Whelan, Jameson and DKD a place in next season’s squad.

 

As for the more experienced players: Bilboe, Adams, Piergianni, Jombati, Borthwick-Jackson I would only keep Adams and CBJ. The others would benefit from a fresh start elsewhere before fans are let back in to heap vitriol on their heads.

And then there’s the foreign contingent... Diarra, Ntambwe should be released. But I would keep Fage.

 

Dearnley has been very unfortunate with injuries in his time with us. I disagree with your considered opinion that he’s ‘shown fuck all ...’ definitely keep him.

 

McAleny is a top top striker at this level. To dismiss him as you do is frankly, in my opinion, naive. Definitely keep him.

 

Paul Murray has suggested that two or three of the scholars will be offered professional contracts for next season. Good news.

 

And last but NOT least..I would offer Bahamboula whatever he wants to stay.

 

😎

Mistified what anyone sees in Barnes, headless chicken. And Lawlor, we must be able to find better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

 

If he only touches the ball three times in a game and each time it's to put the ball in the net, he's worth his weight in gold. 

 

As for the rest - apart from Hilsner, Adams, Bahamboula and McAleney and possibly Dearnley the entire squad's probably replaceable...

 

Conor Mac has proved his ability, in a poor side, we need one or more of his standard to be promoted.

 

Surely this debate now hinges on the budget and who will stay/come to the club.

 

Retaining the core talent is an obvious aspiration, so Bahamboula, McAleny, Adams, Dearnley, Hilssner and CBJ for me. Special mention for DKD, worthy of a new contract, our most improved player.

 

If this is even affordable or realistic, the balance of a squad budget maybe tiny.

 

Whether the owner is trying to be brilliant in the transfer market (moneyball) or having to take a punt on young players dropping out from good club youth systems, this lottery will probably continue.

 

Of the others, I see merit in keeping a decent L2 defender in Pidge, Fage has potential, Ntambwe has been effective at times, Jameson good or awful, Diarra has something, Badan looks good, unlucky with injury.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

 

 

Whether the owner is trying to be brilliant in the transfer market (moneyball) or having to take a punt on young players dropping out from good club youth systems, this lottery will probably continue.

 

 

 

Moneyball involves deep and intelligent analysis. We just use a tombola drum. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Moneyball involves deep and intelligent analysis. We just use a tombola drum. 

I understand that, familiar with statistical analysis.

Not sure Barry is well versed in algorithms or parametric regression.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of think this is pointless. The club is runned by Mo for Mo. He will do the opposite of what is obvious. He must think that his skills on Championship/football manager should apply to real life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The rumours are that we have reappointed Paul Butler onto the staff. If this was the case and we were to put him in as head of recruitment and Mo was to take a step back from re recruitment then this would be a massive positive step for us in terms of recruitment. However part of me thinks this is wishful thinking as doing this would be possibly a logical, strategic and even sensible decision. So he will probably give Mo money to spend which he will likely waste.

 

As for the squad well keeping our best players BamBam Connor Mac and Hilsner would be a massive positive I can't see us keeping any of them. Ironically I don't blame the owner that much if he lose players to teams in higher division offering more money that's football. I only blame him when he signs shite players and doesn't get value for money or falls out with Head coaches because hes signing crap players over his head. Dino Maarmria might not have been a tactical genius but perhaps he had a point when he walked out over us signing Jombati hardly been a success has he.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The rumours are that we have reappointed Paul Butler onto the staff. If this was the case and we were to put him in as head of recruitment and Mo was to take a step back from re recruitment then this would be a massive positive step for us in terms of recruitment. However part of me thinks this is wishful thinking as doing this would be possibly a logical, strategic and even sensible decision. So he will probably give Mo money to spend which he will likely waste.

 

As for the squad well keeping our best players BamBam Connor Mac and Hilsner would be a massive positive I can't see us keeping any of them. Ironically I don't blame the owner that much if he lose players to teams in higher division offering more money that's football. I only blame him when he signs shite players and doesn't get value for money or falls out with Head coaches because hes signing crap players over his head. Dino Maarmria might not have been a tactical genius but perhaps he had a point when he walked out over us signing Jombati hardly been a success has he.

Trying not to sound too thick here, but which Paul Butler? We've had two, but one of them had a clipboard, the other didn't as far as I know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bristolatic said:

Trying not to sound too thick here, but which Paul Butler? We've had two, but one of them had a clipboard, the other didn't as far as I know.

 

Yeah we did have 2 come to think of it, I'm hoping it's the scout guy. Again I can't confirm this I'm going off Dmaarms tweet I'm not someone who is in the know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For the rest of the season, how would people like to see Kewell set the team up for the next 14 games to lead into next season?

 

Should we try to set up more defensively and become more well-rounded as a team, or should we try to get the most out of some of our more attack-minded players who are likely to be here next season?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...