Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Who even knows. What concerns me is there doesn’t seem to be a way of playing. He doesn’t like midfield and doesn’t see it as being crucial to a good side it’s weird. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Next season will be no different. We will get more or less a completely new bunch of Mo's signings which will replicate his past record. One thing which may be different, is hat fans may be in the gro

Moneyball involves deep and intelligent analysis. We just use a tombola drum. 

l'm proper concerned. Sacking a manager who was making progress and temporarily appointing his polar opposite but not backing him to be even here next year seems like the epitome of a chapter cal

9 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Who even knows. What concerns me is there doesn’t seem to be a way of playing. He doesn’t like midfield and doesn’t see it as being crucial to a good side it’s weird. 

 

What does that even mean? Help me out here please.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

 

What does that even mean? Help me out here please.

Harry said in his trust interview that he doesn’t take much interest in the middle part of the pitch. To me, the midfield is the most important part of the pitch for obvious reasons. If he doesn’t change this we won’t ever improve. 
 

Apologise, few to many bottles after that game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Harry said in his trust interview that he doesn’t take much interest in the middle part of the pitch. To me, the midfield is the most important part of the pitch for obvious reasons. If he doesn’t change this we won’t ever improve. 
 

Apologise, few to many bottles after that game. 

Aha.. I’m not sure that what Harry said about the middle part of the pitch sits right with his aim to play out from the back (flawed approach at this level in my opinion)

 

In his post match interview yesterday, Harry sounded tired and despondent- almost as if he is losing patience with many of the players. It was as if he was going through the motions - unable to find many positives (clean sheet and a point was about it really).

 

He often talks about training being good and the players responding well following the latest shoddy display. A lot of managers place great store by how individuals apply themselves on the training pitch. Sadly what we are seeing more and more is a lack of application when certain players cross that white line.

 

Adams has been a good acquisition and even though he is playing in the unfamiliar(to him) position of left back, his attitude and effort should be an example to the rest of the team.

 

Harry is still learning but he has to demonstrate that he is improving as he learns. Maybe he has to compromise some of his footballing principles and adapt to the league and the level we are playing at. On Tuesday he will be in charge of his 33rd league game - the longest run in the Lemsagam era.

 

He has done well to get there. Whether he is still in charge when August comes around could be determined by how the team fares in the final third of the season.

 

 

 

Edited by TheBigDog
Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming we can pick up a couple of wins in the next few then I'd look at building for next year. Just imagine if retention and recruitment was part of a plan.

Pick a formation- which slots would you definitely fill, what does your back up look like? Whats then missing?

 

 

Keeper- we have had some good loans, not sure I'd make an offer for Lawlor, Bilboe a back up? Blood the youth team lad at the back end of the season?

 

Defence- nothing much there. I'd play Adams further forward where he could do more,  retain CBJ. Pidge limited but at least seems to care keep as squad player?

 

Midfield          Adams, Hilssner, Bam ,                                          Back up: Dunn, McAleny- play more advanced? , Dearnley- fragile/ impact sub

 

Forwards         2x new or McAleny and a bigman

 

Not much of a core or spine there. Lots of runners not many to win or hold on to a ball. Be good if some of my 6/7 gaps were filled by players on contract rather than just loans.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

For the rest of the season, how would people like to see Kewell set the team up for the next 14 games to lead into next season?

 

Should we try to set up more defensively and become more well-rounded as a team, or should we try to get the most out of some of our more attack-minded players who are likely to be here next season?

 

We can start preparing for the next season interms of tactics and personnel on the 9th of May. Right now our aim should be that we have 14 games and we should be trying to win all of them. We won't obviously but is about the mentality.

 

I've said before that one of the biggest problems at the football club is cultural one it's a culture of failure. Their isn't a winning culture we get to this time of season when we are looking safe from relegation and people say let's give the kids a go. We shouldn't just give them a game make them earn that right. The first team haven't earned the right to put their feet up for the rest of the season.

 

The best preparation for next season is to create a winning mentality NOW I hope Harry Kewell realises this.

Edited by GlossopLatic
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2021 at 12:03 AM, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Let’s be honest, it’s all over for this season isn’t it. 
My heart says we could be in a good position for next year if we keep the gaffer plus 4/5 of this squad. 
My head, and the overwhelming evidence, suggests we’ll be lucky to have any of this seasons team next year.

I’m intrigued to see who you’d keep for next season, and the justification if you can be arsed.

 

I’d keep;

 

Bilboa - don’t think he’s not a bad second choice, willing to gamble on getting a better number one than lawlor though.

 

adams - love the guy, proper player

 

jamieson - 50/50 about this guy but taking into account potential wages, worth a punt if you get two experienced centre halves for him to challenge

 

 Baden - still think there’s a very good player in there 

 

mcalmont - fuck knows why coz he’s been wank for 80% of the games but I still think there’s a player in there...or is that the deluded Leeds fans duping me?

 

hillsner - far too good for this league....hopefully his breathing problems give us a chance of signing him

 

bahamboula - has he been given the freedom of the town yet?

 

DKD - worst player I’ve seen in a latics shirt initially. Deserves another year though coz he’s proved me and a lot of others wrong. 


Blackwood - not a wind up,honest. He must have something and deserves another year. Totally different culture, league and offers something no other player does. Plus, he could have settled for an easy life in the a league. He didn’t. 

 

that’s it for me, willing to fuck the rest off. I’m guessing they’ll be a few counter arguments so ill get my argument in early for the following;

 

clarke - we wanted him to be good coz he’s young, bald and English. Let’s have it right though, he’s been wank.

 

pidge - said it last year and I’ll say it again, not good enough. Bottom of league two is his absolute max.

 

mcaleny - doesn’t do enough for me. Good record in front of goal but his overall contribution is poor. I’d hazard a guess that the majority of his goals have been consolation goals. Big Dog will confirm with that dodgy site he uses.

 

Dearnley - similar to Clarke, majority of here have decided to like him coz he’s young, English and hungry. Shown fuck all in the time he’s been here though hasn’t he if we’re honest.

 

Like I say, interested to hear other people opinions. Don’t just disagree though coz my display pic annoys you (I was right about him aswell though wasn’t i 😉)

Good post. The parts that stand out for me are, Mcaleny, Completely agree. We'd be in deep shit without his goals but in terms of overall contribution to a game its poor. That said I'd love it if we tied him down. 

 

Bahamboula has been equally as shit as he's been good. He along with the rest of them we're terrible yesterday. He's a luxury player with loads of ability. Must produce more and more consistently. 

 

What are you basing your opinions on Badan on? He looks way off to me. Hilsner getting a very easy ride here as well. Excellent against Newport and in patches elsewhere. I'd say he need to lose some weight if he wants to forge a career in central midfield. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Good post. The parts that stand out for me are, Mcaleny, Completely agree. We'd be in deep shit without his goals but in terms of overall contribution to a game its poor. That said I'd love it if we tied him down. 

 

Bahamboula has been equally as shit as he's been good. He along with the rest of them we're terrible yesterday. He's a luxury player with loads of ability. Must produce more and more consistently. 

 

What are you basing your opinions on Badan on? He looks way off to me. Hilsner getting a very easy ride here as well. Excellent against Newport and in patches elsewhere. I'd say he need to lose some weight if he wants to forge a career in central midfield. 

 

Just a quick reminder that McAleny's averaging a goal every two games and Bahamboula has the second most assists in the league... 

 

I'm not worried about their contributions - it's (almost) everyone else I'm worried about. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

 

Just a quick reminder that McAleny's averaging a goal every two games and Bahamboula has the second most assists in the league... 

 

I'm not worried about their contributions - it's (almost) everyone else I'm worried about. 

Completely and I offered balance in my views on them. They're the positives in a poor season. But I think given their obvious talents they are capable of more. 

Edited by welshgaz
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

 

Just a quick reminder that McAleny's averaging a goal every two games and Bahamboula has the second most assists in the league... 

 

I'm not worried about their contributions - it's (almost) everyone else I'm worried about. 

 

Mcaleney should be aiming to finish the season on 20 goals Bahamboula should be looking to finish the season top of the assist league and with a double figure goal tally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

 

Just a quick reminder that McAleny's averaging a goal every two games and Bahamboula has the second most assists in the league... 

 

I'm not worried about their contributions - it's (almost) everyone else I'm worried about. 


exactly. Both have been real positives and I’d rather work on their work rate than sign other who work hard and can’t score. E.g Paul Warne. 
 

kewell is not a typical English manager in sense how he is seeing things. But we need to find some midfielders for sure 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The best preparation for next season is to create a winning mentality NOW

100%

Bring the pride and passion back, I realise it will be a bumpy ride.

Pick a team to win, i dont want to worry about dogmatic squad rotation at this point or Arsene Wenger's red zone, let the medical staff decide who can play, pick the best 11.

It could be a long summer with off field drama, need to inject some positives, maybe sell a few season tickets.

Restore the faith.

Do we have a buy back option on Danny? Of course not, but in some ways this kept me going last season, looking forward to seeing Danny, Zak ...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

 

We can start preparing for the next season interms of tactics and personnel on the 9th of May. Right now our aim should be that we have 14 games and we should be trying to win all of them. We won't obviously but is about the mentality.

 

I've said before that one of the biggest problems at the football club is cultural one it's a culture of failure. Their isn't a winning culture we get to this time of season when we are looking safe from relegation and people say let's give the kids a go. We shouldn't just give them a game make them earn that right. The first team haven't earned the right to put their feet up for the rest of the season.

 

The best preparation for next season is to create a winning mentality NOW I hope Harry Kewell realises this.


Spot on, one of the first thing Lee Johnson highlighted was the defeatist attitude at the club, he wasn’t wrong and it hasn’t changed,

 

Harrys “we were favourites to go down” says it all 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, welshgaz said:

The parts that stand out for me are, Mcaleny, Completely agree. We'd be in deep shit without his goals but in terms of overall contribution to a game its poor. That said I'd love it if we tied him down. 

 

One of the better examples of a ‘shit sandwich’ 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mayfield said:

100%

Bring the pride and passion back, I realise it will be a bumpy ride.

Pick a team to win, i dont want to worry about dogmatic squad rotation at this point or Arsene Wenger's red zone, let the medical staff decide who can play, pick the best 11.

It could be a long summer with off field drama, need to inject some positives, maybe sell a few season tickets.

Restore the faith.

Do we have a buy back option on Danny? Of course not, but in some ways this kept me going last season, looking forward to seeing Danny, Zak ...

 

 
Personally I dont subscribe to bringing players back unless of course they have excelled in a higher league than we are playing in 

 

Liked Danny Rowe but he didnt live up to his ‘top billing’ did he 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tGWB said:

 
Personally I dont subscribe to bringing players back unless of course they have excelled in a higher league than we are playing in 

 

Liked Danny Rowe but he didnt live up to his ‘top billing’ did he 

Fair opinion.

I dont imagine Danny Rowe will be having any regrets about his move away.

'Never go back' is a good policy, agreed, but I make exception for Joe Royle, in any capacity.

Probably first phone call if I ever win the Euromillions.

 

On Danny Rowe, I saw us improve when he arrived, then become weaker after he left, that's it.

There is a poster with 1,000 aliases on here who has a library of stats to prove me wrong however.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

Fair opinion.

I dont imagine Danny Rowe will be having any regrets about his move away.

'Never go back' is a good policy, agreed, but I make exception for Joe Royle, in any capacity.

Probably first phone call if I ever win the Euromillions.

 

On Danny Rowe, I saw us improve when he arrived, then become weaker after he left, that's it.

There is a poster with 1,000 aliases on here who has a library of stats to prove me wrong however.


A Tarki who has more than exceeded everyones expectations since he left us would be a great example of the kind of former player we should welcome back when his career is winding down 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tGWB said:


A Tarki who has more than exceeded everyones expectations since he left us would be a great example of the kind of former player we should welcome back when his career is winding down 

 

 

Problem is players are so financially secure a "drop down" the leagues is rare nowadays, which is a great shame. I used to enjoy watching players with obvious class dropping into lower divisions when their legs had gone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Problem is players are so financially secure a "drop down" the leagues is rare nowadays, which is a great shame. I used to enjoy watching players with obvious class dropping into lower divisions when their legs had gone.

 

Shez

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Problem is players are so financially secure a "drop down" the leagues is rare nowadays, which is a great shame. I used to enjoy watching players with obvious class dropping into lower divisions when their legs had gone.


 

You’re right 

 

Seems a lifetime ago but I remember Latics signing ManU’s Martin Buchan for a season

 

One of the most comfortable with the ball defenders I’ve ever seen in our colours  

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

 

.........Ray Wilson, John Hurst, Albert Quixall and the one and only Bobby Johnstone spring immediately to mind.

I feel old today, but you're older than me!

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...