1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Problem is players are so financially secure a "drop down" the leagues is rare nowadays, which is a great shame. I used to enjoy watching players with obvious class dropping into lower divisions when their legs had gone.

For anyone who managed a few seasons even as a bench warmer in the premier league money is unlikely to be a driver.

Could only really see it for someone looking for a route in to coaching.

Maybe there are a few out there who just want to keep playing as long as they can because they know they are a long time 'retired'

Doubt we have many fans playing at a higher level who would come back to help out even without the current toxic set up.

My dad was excited about John Hurst, my recollection is of a hard worker but he looked old to my much younger self.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

For anyone who managed a few seasons even as a bench warmer in the premier league money is unlikely to be a driver.

Could only really see it for someone looking for a route in to coaching.

Maybe there are a few out there who just want to keep playing as long as they can because they know they are a long time 'retired'

Doubt we have many fans playing at a higher level who would come back to help out even without the current toxic set up.

My dad was excited about John Hurst, my recollection is of a hard worker but he looked old to my much younger self.

Only 30 when he signed for us, perhaps his lack of front teeth made him look older than he actually was.

Next season will be no different. We will get more or less a completely new bunch of Mo's signings which will replicate his past record. One thing which may be different, is hat fans may be in the ground to make it clear to the regime and the players what they think of them. However they will be very thin on the ground. By this time next year crowds could possibly be around 2000 and not even that for the cold and wet night matches.

44 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Next season will be no different. We will get more or less a completely new bunch of Mo's signings which will replicate his past record. One thing which may be different, is hat fans may be in the ground to make it clear to the regime and the players what they think of them. However they will be very thin on the ground. By this time next year crowds could possibly be around 2000 and not even that for the cold and wet night matches.

Depressingly you are right, we will just endure on a spiral of mediocrity whilst this lot are here, or learn and there is more chance of my night with Jennifer Lawrence and baby oil than the latter 

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Probably just because I'm still annoyed about last night, but, barring Bahamboula, I would get rid of every single one of them...

You'll get your wish and it'll be a simular bunch of no hopers brought into replace those gone, isn't that the reality or is it just a state of mind?

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Probably just because I'm still annoyed about last night, but, barring Bahamboula, I would get rid of every single one of them...

One observation about Bahamboula: 

Opponents now know about him and the damage that he can do. In the past few games he has been given very little room by the opposition with teams often double teaming him. As such he has not been as effective (or as entertaining) as when he first burst onto the scene.

He needs to change his style somewhat - moving towards the ball, running into space - rather than always receiving the ball to feet.

It would also help if he was played out wide. He had very little influence in the game against Port Vale and often cut a frustrated figure. His early booking didn’t help and apart from a shot that curled over the bar and cross for McAleny he was too often crowded out.

He is an undoubted talent but he needs to adapt.

40 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Opponents now know about him and the damage that he can do. In the past few games he has been given very little room by the opposition with teams often double teaming him. As such he has not been as effective (or as entertaining) as when he first burst onto the scene.

He needs to change his style somewhat - moving towards the ball, running into space - rather than always receiving the ball to feet.

It would also help if he was played out wide. He had very little influence in the game against Port Vale and often cut a frustrated figure. His early booking didn’t help and apart from a shot that curled over the bar and cross for McAleny he was too often crowded out.

Makes you wonder what our spare players are doing when he's marked by two or three defenders in every game.

This probably explains why he's playing at this level with his talent.

52 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

We won’t see the best out of him again I’m afraid.

Not his fault, but the appointment of our new manager by the supreme leaders. 

Our two best players are wingers, yet we appoint a manager who plays wing backs. 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Really don't know what he can do to "adapt".  

I don't know what any player can do up against three defenders all match, with nobody within twenty yards to offer support.  Where were Keillor-Dunn and McAleny last night?

I thought he won a decent amount of headers and kept the ball for some time.

Played wide, or with players in support, he'll still do damage.

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Makes you wonder what our spare players are doing when he's marked by two or three defenders in every game.

This probably explains why he's playing at this level with his talent.

When he's surrounded by 4 players he shoud have support and players moving to space. Our players stand around watching him.

Archived