MATCH: vs Port Vale (A) 09/03/21

image.png

Referee appointed; S.Stockbridge. Was the referee vs Tranmere Rovers away this season.

Tranmere Yellow: Clarke, Woolery, Lewis

Latics Yellow: Jombati, Keillor-Dunn, Blackwood. Red: Jombati (second yellow)

image.png

Port Vale:
Not won is six games.
Not scored at home in two games.
Lost last three games.

Latics:
Not scored in two games.
12 points out of the last 30.
One win in six games.

>> Prediction League: https://owtbpredictionleague.azurewebsites.net/

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Matt said:

Port Vale:
Not won is six games.
Not scored at home in two games.
Lost last three games.

Latics:
Not scored in two games.
12 points out of the last 30.
One win in six games.

Makes the heart race...

12 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I’m handing over my tenner as we speak 👍

In two minds.  I never watch at the weekends as I have other priorities - and nothing I've seen/heard/read has made me reprioritise.   I generally but not always watch midweek games but I'm yet to see a single league victory this season and the games I have picked have been unfailingly abysmal.  

52 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

In two minds.  I never watch at the weekends as I have other priorities - and nothing I've seen/heard/read has made me reprioritise.   I generally but not always watch midweek games but I'm yet to see a single league victory this season and the games I have picked have been unfailingly abysmal.  

Its like a metaphor for the modern fan. By modern l mean 38 and under.

35 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Yep, Carlisle and Northampton.

Curle likes playing wing backs so Adams fits in well to that

We havent 3 good centre backs, and who's the left wing back?

17 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We havent 3 good centre backs, and who's the left wing back?

If we had three decent centre backs, Kewell would probably still be here.

It's hard to think of a squad less suited than ours to playing Curle's preferred system, to be honest.

But Adams fits in at least!

If youre Port Vale and you’ve gone 6 games without a win, which team would you want to be turning up at your place 

Been so long since we changed a manager I  cant remember if we can expect a kick on in form 🙄

1 hour ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Yep, Carlisle and Northampton.

Curle likes playing wing backs so Adams fits in well to that

If we go 3-5-2 or similar, I could see us going with this team:

Lawlor

Jombati

Piergianni

Diarra

Fage

Ntambwe

Hilßner

Adams

Bahamboula

Grant

McAleny

With Fage and Adams being wing-backs, we should have a unit of 6 players who are primarily defensive minded, Hilßner less so but he could still drop deep.  That's not to say they're all defensively competent, but having defensive support from the midfield for Jombati and Diarra should at least give us strength in numbers.

Bahamboula and McAleny (with Grant as the foil) should at least be able to create something.

5 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

If we go 3-5-2 or similar, I could see us going with this team:

Lawlor

Jombati

Piergianni

Diarra

Fage

Ntambwe

Hilßner

Adams

Bahamboula

Grant

McAleny

With Fage and Adams being wing-backs, we should have a unit of 6 players who are primarily defensive minded, Hilßner less so but he could still drop deep.  That's not to say they're all defensively competent, but having defensive support from the midfield for Jombati and Diarra should at least give us strength in numbers.

Bahamboula and McAleny (with Grant as the foil) should at least be able to create something.

Actually looks better than any formation HK has turned out.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Actually looks better than any formation HK has turned out.

I feel that it would be solid, but we'd be sacrificing a fair amount of our attacking freedom.

I'm happy with it if we win more games and have a go at promotion next season, but we should be under no illusions about the style of football.

Who recalls the success we have had at Port Vale under interim management before 

(1) The 1-0 win at Vale Park after Johnson had departed - think Mike Jones got the winner, Lockwood was immense at the back

The "We don't care about Johnson" night

(2) The 4-1 win at Vale between Christmas ad New Year under Wild after Bunn's Oldham had crashed 6-0 at Carlisle on Boxing Day. Surprisingly good and Maouche back heel live long in the memory. 

On the negative side, vale not won in 6 and need a win more than we do even.     

3 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Who recalls the success we have had at Port Vale under interim management before 

(1) The 1-0 win at Vale Park after Johnson had departed - think Mike Jones got the winner, Lockwood was immense at the back

The "We don't care about Johnson" night

(2) The 4-1 win at Vale between Christmas ad New Year under Wild after Bunn's Oldham had crashed 6-0 at Carlisle on Boxing Day. Surprisingly good and Maouche back heel live long in the memory. 

On the negative side, vale not won in 6 and need a win more than we do even.     

Queue a Zac Mills thunderbolt winner

Archived