MATCH: vs Port Vale (A) 09/03/21

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Curle won't put up with DKD, McAleny and McCalmont on that showing.

Hilssner was probably worse though.

Having said that these players know there's few options he can choose from so can drift through games without any concern. 

Won't put up with it? Its his fault that they didn't play well. Apart from mccalmont because he played like he always plays. Crap. You can't play dkd, bahamboula, mcaleny, hilsner in a defensive minded team woth zero intent on going forward and expect them to play well. Its like playing 9 defensive players and asking them to go all out attack. Itd be a shambles

1 minute ago, Chris15Arm said:

Won't put up with it? Its his fault that they didn't play well. Apart from mccalmont because he played like he always plays. Crap. You can't play dkd, bahamboula, mcaleny, hilsner in a defensive minded team woth zero intent on going forward and expect them to play well. Its like playing 9 defensive players and asking them to go all out attack. Itd be a shambles

Adams picked the team he said, have a go at him.

46 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The contest resembled a game of attack and defence. We were lucky but did defend well.

44 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We really didn't. They hit about 8 straight at Lawlor. Defending was shocking. They just couldn't finish

That was the lucky part. 

I kept pleading for us to stop passing short from goal kicks, we are hopeless at it.when Lawlor did go long he put it out of play!!!

whilst overall this has been a more entertaining season than we are used to it has also provided too many performances which are amongst the dullest I have seen in nearly 50 years of supporting Latics. Too many players have only the occasional good game (McCalmont, DKD, Mceleney, Bahamboula) some are consistently not good enough (Diarra, Badan,, Ntambwe) and we just don’t have enough height.

Curle has a big job ahead, I wouldn’t keep many of this lot.

11 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

I don't think he will anyway if he stays.  Regardless of ability I don't think a lot of this squad will fit in with his style, including Bahamboula and McAleny (who probably won't be here anyway).

Luckily most of the squad are out of contract in the summer so he'll have some chance to make his mark if he's here.

12 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Can't see Curle being here next season - it'll be Butler as Head Coach under our esteemed (useless) Sporting Director.

We just have to hope that ALMO do one and someone better picks up the pieces.

17 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

I kept pleading for us to stop passing short from goal kicks, we are hopeless at it.when Lawlor did go long he put it out of play!!!

whilst overall this has been a more entertaining season than we are used to it has also provided too many performances which are amongst the dullest I have seen in nearly 50 years of supporting Latics. Too many players have only the occasional good game (McCalmont, DKD, Mceleney, Bahamboula) some are consistently not good enough (Diarra, Badan,, Ntambwe) and we just don’t have enough height.

Watched KC tonight and seems like he doesnt  suffer fools gladly.Lets hope he keeps the likes of Bam Dunn McEleny and Piers and Lawlor and builds around them.

Maybe next season  it will be a case of KC and The Sunshine Band 

4 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

If Adams did big the team maybe he should just leave it to the manager and focus on his game as he was poor tonight in his favoured position. 

Curle didn't know the players so asked Adam's to pick the team. He will know them for sure now and select the next team himself.

3 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Watched KC tonight and seems like he doesnt  suffer fools gladly.Lets hope he keeps the likes of Bam Dunn McEleny and Piers and Lawlor and builds around them.

Maybe next season  it will be a case of KC and The Sunshine Band 

He won't stand for some of the lack lustre performers we saw tonight. Expect a regular or two to be dropped.

4 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Can't believe Leeds think he'll be a backup for Kalvin Phillips

Is it possible he'll be the next Jay Fulton. I'll be honest i've not seen much of either of them but I remember he was really poor when he was here and has since gone on to become a regular in the Swansea team 

6 minutes ago, marhar said:

Is it possible he'll be the next Jay Fulton. I'll be honest i've not seen much of either of them but I remember he was really poor when he was here and has since gone on to become a regular in the Swansea team 

I think it's possible.  McCalmont's sporadically shown this season that he's got something about him, but there's been way too many poor performances here to be certain that he'll make it at a higher level.

I don't think he'll be comfortable with Curle's strategy, but it might be the making of him if he works hard to adapt to it.

Morning after the night before  and I still can’t believe  how inept a performance that was last night  three players come out of that ok Piagianni Lawlor and Fage  had good games rest no better than a 5 out of ten  performances   Hope things improve  for weekend  when he’s had more time to work with them  in training  anyway onto Saturday see if we can improve our dismal home record 

Can we all just agree, for sanity's sake, that Keith Curle was the last person who was at fault last night?

Even if he did pick the team, he'd been in the job 48 hours and has been handed the worst squad in the club's history to do something with...

23 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Can we all just agree, for sanity's sake, that Keith Curle was the last person who was at fault last night?

Even if he did pick the team, he'd been in the job 48 hours and has been handed the worst squad in the club's history to do something with...

Reading comments above blaming him make me shake my head more than when watching and wondering just how bad it was. I can't remember who said it but someone came up with him 'losing the fans'. If that was really how a significant number feel then we as a group deserve all the crap we get. 

The pitch looked like the fairway at Carnoustie and we haven't got the personnel to play hoofball.

Think it could be a bumpy period as a lot of the lads know they won't be around next season but Curle has no choice but to play them whilst trying to get positive results to give the place a lift.

57 minutes ago, JoeP said:

31 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Reading comments above blaming him make me shake my head more than when watching and wondering just how bad it was. I can't remember who said it but someone came up with him 'losing the fans'. If that was really how a significant number feel then we as a group deserve all the crap we get. 

Did he have his eyes shut for 48 hours ? Has he not seen or heard about us this year ?

He set us up to be that defensive. He played Hillsner at left wing back. He played Badan at centre back. He played Ntambwe. Of course he takes part of the blame, he’s the manager and we got absolutely battered. 

I would be more concerned about the fans who think we defended well because we kept a clean sheet. No let’s get this right, we got battered by Port Vale, they should have scored about 8. 

11 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Did he have his eyes shut for 48 hours ? Has he not seen or heard about us this year ?

He set us up to be that defensive. He played Hillsner at left wing back. He played Badan at centre back. He played Ntambwe. Of course he takes part of the blame, he’s the manager and we got absolutely battered. 

I would be more concerned about the fans who think we defended well because we kept a clean sheet. No let’s get this right, we got battered by Port Vale, they should have scored about 8. 

We keep talking about wishing the owner had a sensible long term plan for the club.  But we slate a manager after one game.

Not read through all the comments so apologies if it has all been mentioned before. That was a dreadful performance. I'm going to give Curle a reprieve on the game because he was only in the role for 36 hours, but Hilsnner at LWB might just go down as the worst selection I have ever seen in my time watching Latics. We lose so much of Bahamboula's quality when we play him down the middle. Yes, I know it is another clean sheet but that is solely down to Port Vale being impotent, as were Southend on Saturday. I have also read a stat on Twitter this morning (so might not be fully accurate) that we have failed to score in 11 of our 33 league games this season.

Listened to Curle's interview on GMR last night and can't help but feel he is not going to be here at the start of next season. If we were appointing an outside candidate like Curle, it should have been an 18 month deal. If we were just going to offer a deal until the end of the season, we would have been much better given it Murray or Butler in a caretaker role. 

Apologies for the doom and gloom...

10 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Our main problem is squad quality and balance.  We don't have enough players in certain areas to play most formations so we'll always have to have players out of position.

We were rubbish, not for the first time. We had a big gap between the lone striker and the rest of the team, not for the first time.  We were on the back foot for most of the game, not for the first time.

And the rot had already set in when it comes to scoring.  That was our 3rd blank in a row.

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Hilsnner at LWB might just go down as the worst selection I have ever seen in my time watching Latics. 

On what we saw last night it's hard to disagree (bar the hyperbole) but he's generally referred to everywhere as a winger so I'd assume he's played in that position even if he's been doing a different job for us.  Thinking a winger might be able to do a job at wing back doesn't strike me as being completely ridiculous.

Archived