MATCH: vs Port Vale (A) 09/03/21

Has anybody ever thought that Macalmont might actually be colour blind. On Saturday he passed the ball to anyone in a yellow shirt and last night just passed it to anybody who happened to be on the pitch at the time.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, C.O.JONES said:

Has anybody ever thought that Macalmont might actually be colour blind. On Saturday he passed the ball to anyone in a yellow shirt and last night just passed it to anybody who happened to be on the pitch at the time.

Many of this team lack composure, the ball is an hot potato and clearances are often panicky.

Calm down lads.

5 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

He was outdone though by Badan and DKD, maybe the whole squad ought be be sent to Specsavers for eyesight tests?

30 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Did he have his eyes shut for 48 hours ? Has he not seen or heard about us this year ?

He set us up to be that defensive. He played Hillsner at left wing back. He played Badan at centre back. He played Ntambwe. Of course he takes part of the blame, he’s the manager and we got absolutely battered. 

I would be more concerned about the fans who think we defended well because we kept a clean sheet. No let’s get this right, we got battered by Port Vale, they should have scored about 8. 

You're right at the end there - we did get battered and should have lost by 8.  Not for the first time this season.

But Curle's been in the job 48 hours.  I've watched about 90% of our games this season, but haven't a clue what our best line-up is, because the players in the squad (apart from about 3) aren't up to it, yet you expect someone who has a very vague knowledge of our squad to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear in 2 training sessions?  Bonkers...  

It appears it wasn't even him who picked the team, anyway.

25 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Did he have his eyes shut for 48 hours ? Has he not seen or heard about us this year ?

He set us up to be that defensive. He played Hillsner at left wing back. He played Badan at centre back. He played Ntambwe. Of course he takes part of the blame, he’s the manager and we got absolutely battered. 

I would be more concerned about the fans who think we defended well because we kept a clean sheet. No let’s get this right, we got battered by Port Vale, they should have scored about 8. 

Of course it is foolish and unfair to Keith Curle to place the responsibility for last night’s performance solely on his shoulders.

However it cannot be ignored that the current manager did set the team up as he likes to play. He has to take some of the blame for playing so many players out of position. Quite simply his chosen formation and approach to the game did not work and the starting eleven looked ill at ease with his directions. 

Once again too many individuals displayed poor technical skills and awareness of how to do the basics. With two or three exceptions, the team simply didn’t look comfortable on a very poor playing surface.

In the end we came away with an undeserved point - down to some good individual defending, a huge element of luck and the ineptitude of the opposition forwards.

If nothing else, Curle will have learned a lot about the players at his disposal. 

11 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We really didn't. They hit about 8 straight at Lawlor. Defending was shocking. They just couldn't finish

Couldn't agree more with this. Our collective defending was abysmal, although I did think Piergianni did quite well...

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Couldn't agree more with this. Our collective defending was abysmal, although I did think Piergianni did quite well...

Of its type (it wasn't Tarkowski at Preston!) it was an outstanding performance.  He gets a lot of stick for his distribution but he's not claiming to be Van Dijk

14 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Of its type (it wasn't Tarkowski at Preston!) it was an outstanding performance.  He gets a lot of stick for his distribution but he's not claiming to be Van Dijk

If KC stays I reckon he will bring in more Pidge types. It just might work in this division as Lincoln showed.

Doubt he will be here next season  though and Mo will recruit more lightweights no one else wants.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If KC stays I reckon he will bring in more Pidge types. It just might work in this division as Lincoln showed.

Doubt he will be here next season  though and Mo will recruit more lightweights.

Which will go against the famous "vision and plan" that the great man released in May 2019...

Vision 
I do have a clear vision for Oldham Athletic. It is to play entertaining football in the Oldham Athletic tradition. This will be fast-paced and tactically and technically good quality. It will be delivered by developing young talent through the academy system, as well as a Europe-wide system of recruitment and excellent coaching and management. 

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Which will go against the famous "vision and plan" that the great man released in May 2019...

Vision 
I do have a clear vision for Oldham Athletic. It is to play entertaining football in the Oldham Athletic tradition. This will be fast-paced and tactically and technically good quality. It will be delivered by developing young talent through the academy system, as well as a Europe-wide system of recruitment and excellent coaching and management. 

Well I think we know that went in the bin. 

Appreciate that people will let Curle off as he’s only been here a few hours. But even a basic look into our team would tell you that we are shit defensively, so why go all out defence and surprise we played crap. 

He’s been here two minutes but he still played a part, how many times do you see teams get a new manager and play well ? A lot. He is to blame for that game, simple. I’m not saying sack him or he won’t ever come good. 

19 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Vision 

With Kewell in charge (again, for all of his faults) there was an argument that they were trying to do this, naive as it is to try it at this level with the type of players we can recruit in general.

Curle is not this, and they've (again) completely changed course from whatever plan they've said they're trying. 

I can absolutely understand sacrificing attractive football for a formula that has been proven to work in the past and by and large has got results.  The problem is that I don't believe the ownership properly understands what they've got themselves into.  As a result they'll probably push the reset button (...again) way too early and go in yet another different direction with no positive difference in outcome.

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

It probably did, but we haven't had an updated one have we...?

No. But we can draw conclusions. The main one is that it was written in five minutes on the back of a fag packet. We know Mo has no input to the academy and as for playing the Oldham style? Is there an Oldham style? I certainly couldn't define it. 

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

No. But we can draw conclusions. The main one is that it was written in five minutes on the back of a fag packet. We know Mo has no input to the academy and as for playing the Oldham style? Is there an Oldham style? I certainly couldn't define it. 

And Brexit has buggered up the pan European recruitment 

47 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Vision 

Well the Europe wide system looks to have gone for a Burton.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Well the Europe wide system looks to have gone for a Burton.

Good, perhaps clubs will now start to concentrate on youth set ups and bring on more home grown talent instead of relying on cheap end foreign signings that don't understand the English game at this level, we are not premiership are we? 

4 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Good, perhaps clubs will now start to concentrate on youth set ups and bring on more home grown talent instead of relying on cheap end foreign signings that don't understand the English game at this level, we are not premiership are we? 

The difference is clubs will have to rely on British agents, who will recommend those they desperately want to shift to gullible sporting directors.

42 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

With Kewell in charge (again, for all of his faults) there was an argument that they were trying to do this, naive as it is to try it at this level with the type of players we can recruit in general.

Curle is not this, and they've (again) completely changed course from whatever plan they've said they're trying. 

I can absolutely understand sacrificing attractive football for a formula that has been proven to work in the past and by and large has got results.  The problem is that I don't believe the ownership properly understands what they've got themselves into.  As a result they'll probably push the reset button (...again) way too early and go in yet another different direction with no positive difference in outcome.

This exactly! 

I don’t care about Kewell, I don’t care about Curle, though I am not a fan of negative managers which he is, but will still watch if it meant we win more games than lose. 

But it’s the massive difference in play styles, strategy and direction that pisses me off. Add that with the fact he’s here for 60 days and it’s all pointless. 

52 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Spot on Bosh. 

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Yep.

Things will only get better when we get new owners.

Until then, we've just got to argue and discuss tit-for-tat issues.  Otherwise, there's nothing really to talk about here..

oh fuckinell heres Monty the over positive knobead

Lawlor 9

Pidge 9

Badan 8

Fage 10

Whelan 7.5

Diarra 7

Macca 7 for trying

Tried to play out from the back so anybody saying 'all we did was knocj it long to Bahamboula' is a fuckin retard.

Incidentally, if Bahamboula can be arsed, we can play it long to him. He could easy win more than he does. l Understand that he doesnt and why he doesnt and also moaning about it.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

oh fuckinell heres Monty the over positive knobead

Lawlor 9

Pidge 9

Badan 8

Fage 10

Whelan 7.5

Diarra 7

Macca 7 for trying

Tried to play out from the back so anybody saying 'all we did was knocj it long to Bahamboula' is a fuckin retard.

Incidentally, if Bahamboula can be arsed, we can play it long to him. He could easy win more than he does. l Understand that he doesnt and why he doesnt and also moaning about it.

Come to think of it,

I said Fage was good after coming on

9 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Come to think of it,

I said Fage was good after coming on

He did do very well, and his ball control seems to be improving,  but by the time he got on Vale were knackered after all that pressing and it wasn't so tough for him.

6 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Appreciate that people will let Curle off as he’s only been here a few hours. But even a basic look into our team would tell you that we are shit defensively, so why go all out defence and surprise we played crap. 

He’s been here two minutes but he still played a part, how many times do you see teams get a new manager and play well ? A lot. He is to blame for that game, simple. I’m not saying sack him or he won’t ever come good. 

he did pick the team. He knows how to get results in this league so hard to argue. 

however, all our best players, baha and mcaleny are wingers. Surely he sees that. Yet he goes for his trusted 3-5-2 from the off. Wonder if he will move away from it or try and get out guys to fit his system 

Archived