Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Stainrod said:

The Oldham’s are bottom of this league too!

 

 

(I know; that’s a good thing on this occasion)

 

There are 55 refs that have been appointed in L2 this season, I cropped the table halfway down as I'm guessing nobody wants to see all of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can we all just agree, for sanity's sake, that Keith Curle was the last person who was at fault last night?   Even if he did pick the team, he'd been in the job 48 hours and has been handed

Well Curle's had an early impact alright.  Although he's definitely thrown the baby out with the bathwater with regards to our attacking play.  I think the pre-match team talk was simply "keep a clean

Chilled on Sunday

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Would not be surprised Littlemoor, another one who was dispensed with far too early, assume his costs were too high?   

Good player and I'd of liked a two season stint for him, alas we'll see how he fares against us and make judgement after.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Would not be surprised Littlemoor, another one who was dispensed with far too early, assume his costs were too high?   

He got loads of criticism on here, never understood it myself.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Get my BP bingo shouts in early...

 

Weak in midfield 

Youth team coach will be in charge next

McAlmont is awful

Pidge hasn't found a blue shirt yet

Better under Kewell

Dino was a motivator

Why does he have that clipboard? 

Stood with hands in pockets

442

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Good player and I'd of liked a two season stint for him, alas we'll see how he fares against us and make judgement after.

 

He was a decent full back at this level, but he was one appearance away from a new deal so was exiled.  Fage and Jombati are a downgrade on him but Adams is an upgrade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Get my BP bingo shouts in early...

 

Weak in midfield 

Youth team coach will be in charge next

McAlmont is awful

Pidge hasn't found a blue shirt yet

Better under Kewell

Dino was a motivator

Why does he have that clipboard? 

Stood with hands in pockets

442

 

Do Port Vale have electronic perimeter advertising? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

 

He was a decent full back at this level, but he was one appearance away from a new deal so was exiled.  Fage and Jombati are a downgrade on him but Adams is an upgrade.

Zak Mills seemed to have no luck at all, often injured or seemingly struggling to regain match fitness.

Recall him suffering a shoulder injury, then aggravating it.

The 'cant be picked again or he gets another year' thing seemed to be the popular assessment of his demise.

On his day, he was an ok full back but more useful when he charged up the left wing.

Shame he wasnt fully fit and allowed to have an extended run.

Comment from Vale fans is less than complementary.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

 

He was a decent full back at this level, but he was one appearance away from a new deal so was exiled.  Fage and Jombati are a downgrade on him but Adams is an upgrade.

Adams is only there because of his age and it's such a shame he can't be midfielder general here

Mills was player of the season at his previous club and caused us plenty of problems in those games, before we managed to sign him.

We'll see if he's still got it tomorrow night I guess?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Adams is only there because of his age and it's such a shame he can't be midfielder general here

 

Got me thinking...

 

If, as is being stated, Curle prefers to play 3-5-2 then I wonder if Adams will play as part of a five this evening? 

 

If CBJ and Clarke are fit then we could see something like:

 

Lawlor

Clarke, Piergianni, Borthwick-Jackson

Fage, Adams, Hilssner, McCalmont, Keilor-Dunn

Grant, McAleny

 

but then again it could be totally different 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

 

Got me thinking...

 

If, as is being stated, Curle prefers to play 3-5-2 then I wonder if Adams will play as part of a five this evening? 

 

If CBJ and Clarke are fit then we could see something like:

 

Lawlor

Clarke, Piergianni, Borthwick-Jackson

Fage, Adams, Hilssner, McCalmont, Keilor-Dunn

Grant, McAleny

 

but then again it could be totally different 😉

He uses 352 with wing backs so more than likely adams and cbj if he's fit as wing backs. Fage if he's not

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

 

Got me thinking...

 

If, as is being stated, Curle prefers to play 3-5-2 then I wonder if Adams will play as part of a five this evening? 

 

If CBJ and Clarke are fit then we could see something like:

 

Lawlor

Clarke, Piergianni, Borthwick-Jackson

Fage, Adams, Hilssner, McCalmont, Keilor-Dunn

Grant, McAleny

 

but then again it could be totally different 😉

Like that but bambozzle for mccalmont

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

He uses 352 with wing backs so more than likely adams and cbj if he's fit as wing backs. Fage if he's not

 

Agree with this.

 

With Adams and Fage on the right and CBJ and Badan on the left, we have players who could play the wing-back role on either side, which will make the transition between Kewell and Curle easier.

 

On paper even without Wheater we have enough players who can play centre back in the squad.  I'm not convinced that they're up to scratch on an individual level but that's Curle's job to turn them into a cohesive unit.

 

Again in midfield we have enough players, but it's getting the right balance in there which is important.  In the short term I can see Ntambwe coming straight in.  Bahamboula will probably play in the attacking midfield role with DKD as backup.

 

Up front I think he'll begin with Grant and McAleny.  I see Blackwood as more of a Lee Erwin or Scott Vernon type who looks like a target man but doesn't impose himself like one, Curle will probably try to toughen him up but for now Grant will get about defences more regularly.

 

The squad will have to adapt quickly to his methods if we want short term results, but barring an out-and-out target man I think we've got players who could play his system at the very least.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

 

Got me thinking...

 

If, as is being stated, Curle prefers to play 3-5-2 then I wonder if Adams will play as part of a five this evening? 

 

If CBJ and Clarke are fit then we could see something like:

 

Lawlor

Clarke, Piergianni, Borthwick-Jackson

Fage, Adams, Hilssner, McCalmont, Keilor-Dunn

Grant, McAleny

 

but then again it could be totally different 😉

If his first act is to drop Bahamboula... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

 

Agree with this.

 

With Adams and Fage on the right and CBJ and Badan on the left, we have players who could play the wing-back role on either side, which will make the transition between Kewell and Curle easier.

 

On paper even without Wheater we have enough players who can play centre back in the squad.  I'm not convinced that they're up to scratch on an individual level but that's Curle's job to turn them into a cohesive unit.

 

Again in midfield we have enough players, but it's getting the right balance in there which is important.  In the short term I can see Ntambwe coming straight in.  Bahamboula will probably play in the attacking midfield role with DKD as backup.

 

Up front I think he'll begin with Grant and McAleny.  I see Blackwood as more of a Lee Erwin or Scott Vernon type who looks like a target man but doesn't impose himself like one, Curle will probably try to toughen him up but for now Grant will get about defences more regularly.

 

The squad will have to adapt quickly to his methods if we want short term results, but barring an out-and-out target man I think we've got players who could play his system at the very least.

 

I wonder if KC sees Ntwambe as a centre back in a 3?

He's big and strong and ok in the air.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If his first act is to drop Bahamboula... 

 

No, he's a big strong lad, its the lightweights who will be the first to go.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The first thing any new manager should do is to ask each player what their favourite/favoured position is, then when the opportunity arises they should be played in that position. Only after that can any assessment on them can be made i.e. have they played well or had a stinker. I think we have had players playing out of their favoured positions, which is probably why I and many others have criticised them in the past and will probably will still do so in the future as we are not aware in most cases what their favoured position is, we just assume. It's quite easy to see who can't control a ball or pass to their own players, get caught in possession etc but that should be seen on the training ground not in a match, so it's wait and see pudding who gets selected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Nicky Adams having a big say in team selection tonight, that will be interesting.

 

Next to be demoted to the youth team then?

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

The first thing any new manager should do is to ask each player what their favourite/favoured position is

I tried that in my first management role (not football!).  All it achieved was to piss off the people who had to do something other than what they wanted. Lesson learned, most people want to be directed. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I tried that in my first management role (not football!).  All it achieved was to piss off the people who had to do something other than what they wanted. Lesson learned, most people want to be directed. 

 

Directed, but not confused by reams of instructions on a clipboard.

I still remember laughing at one manager when his dossier was caught in a strong gust of wind and scores of paper were strewn all over the pitch. 😆

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Not sure where Bahamboula will fit in if Curle wants to play with wing backs...

 

I could see him playing in the advanced role that DKD has been playing, albeit behind a front two rather than the lone forward.

 

Like what BP said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the lightweight players dropped such as DKD, McCalmont and, when he has the chance to, Fage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Not sure where Bahamboula will fit in if Curle wants to play with wing backs...

Bahamboula behind the front two, with license to break forward and shoot.

 

The question is more where Keillor-Dunn fits in.  Given we've got nobody with any aerial presence up front, I'd be tempted to rotate him up top with McAleny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Matt unfeatured this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...