MATCH: vs Port Vale (A) 09/03/21

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

3 centre backs. . . 

I fear a hammering tonight. 

I'm guessing that the wing-backs will have a "defence first" mentality if Curle gets his way, so it'll effectively be 5 at the back.

I actually feel that this game would have suited Kewell's style of play fairly well, but with Curle in charge I'm not so worried about getting hammered.  Because we'll sacrifice attacking flair for defensive solidity.  I just hope it works!

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'm guessing that the wing-backs will have a "defence first" mentality if Curle gets his way, so it'll effectively be 5 at the back.

I actually feel that this game would have suited Kewell's style of play fairly well, but with Curle in charge I'm not so worried about getting hammered.  Because we'll sacrifice attacking flair for defensive solidity.  I just hope it works!

We’ve always bemoaned the lack of goals scored with previous managers, having now experienced it with HK I can confirm that sitting 16th playing defensively or attacking feels exactly the same. 

I don’t care how we play. I just want winning football- however it comes. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

We’ve always bemoaned the lack of goals scored with previous managers, having now experienced it with HK I can confirm that sitting 16th playing defensively or attacking feels exactly the same. 

I don’t care how we play. I just want winning football- however it comes. 

I used to be like that. Whatever it takes just to get wins. But over the years I've noticed that even good seasons, we fall when we get close. Even this season, its a trend every half decent year, we put a few good results together and when we are a couple wins short of being in the mix, we lose. Happens every time we have a middle of the table season whoever the owners and managers are. And we end up in the same position bein bored. This season we are in the same position but ive not been bored that many times. So im startin to swing over to the side of this is who we are as a club. We get a sniff of play offs in league 1 and in league 2, then our good run falters and we drift away. Its almost like they're being told that we are too close to succes so back off. So i jus want entertainment now

24 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

I used to be like that. Whatever it takes just to get wins. But over the years I've noticed that even good seasons, we fall when we get close. Even this season, its a trend every half decent year, we put a few good results together and when we are a couple wins short of being in the mix, we lose. Happens every time we have a middle of the table season whoever the owners and managers are. And we end up in the same position bein bored. This season we are in the same position but ive not been bored that many times. So im startin to swing over to the side of this is who we are as a club. We get a sniff of play offs in league 1 and in league 2, then our good run falters and we drift away. Its almost like they're being told that we are too close to succes so back off. So i jus want entertainment now

You’re not alone with that view, and I know where you’re coming from. 

Success has been replaced with ‘well we always lose so it might as well be entertaining losses.’  I can’t subscribe to that. It’s not style of play that ultimately does for us. Nor is it who we are as a club. It’s more ‘what the owners have let it become’  It’s a mixture of chronic mismanagement at board level, poor recruitment of coaching staff, not sticking with potential good coaches, poor player recruitment and worse of all a losing mentality which pervades right throughout the club. We can be great again on the pitch but all above needs to be place first and then the wins will come as a consequence.

Until then, I’m hanging everything on Curle or however is the incumbent on ignoring mo, galvanising a group, keeping it simple, and getting them enjoying their football. That alone would have higher than 17th. 

By now, we would routinely be in the Waldorf in Manchester sinking a few before a carry out and heading off to sunny Stoke (?) and that hotel across the road from the station for happy hour! Taxi to Vale Park to see Oldham win (occasionally) in a shit game. Cmon u Blues

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

I fear a hammering tonight. 

Vale have about 7 starters out so I wouldn't. Mills will likely play as proper RWB James Gibbons snapped his grilled cheese like hamstring last week. Again. 

27 minutes ago, doha said:

Vale fan.

RE earlier comments about Zak Mills, I'd like to see us take Oldham to court at some point for inflicting him on us as he's fcking bobbins. Genuinely one of our worst ever signings. 

The following 8 seconds sum up all 20 odd games he's played for Vale this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58XhQDFe3f0

Take us to court, you'll be lucky to get paid even if you win the case. 

12 minutes ago, doha said:

Vale have about 7 starters out so I wouldn't. Mills will likely play as proper RWB James Gibbons snapped his grilled cheese like hamstring last week. Again. 

You are a welcome addition to this forum, your negativity fits in well. 

1 minute ago, disjointed said:

You are a welcome addition to this forum, your negativity fits in well. 

You should see the Vale facebook groups, there's voodoo dolls being made. 

Archived