Next Oldham Manager

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The statement said he'll be working with the current first team staff so don't think we need to worry about that.

He'll be left alone and if he does well he'll continue to be left alone.

I know what the statement said, but ALMO have a bit of previous being economical with the truth. I hope he does have autonomy, but I'm skeptical. 

4 minutes ago, DarkStar said:

The workings of this club should be well known amongst prospective managers and players by now.

Keith Curle must know what he's walking into.

An easy 3 month's pay for him with no pressure

if he fails, it's the owners fault. It won't harm his reputation any as everyone in football knows about our basketcase owners

I watched his interview this morning and came away thinking he seems like the solid, experienced manager that we have been desperately needing and that I'll be amazed if he sees out the 2 months. He's the type to call a spade a spade and call a fool a fool and that won't go down well at all. He already said in that interview that all owners think their team should be at the top but it can't always be the fault of the players and manager why they aren't. That kind of on point honesty will see him out of the door quickly if the recent past is anything to go by. 

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

An easy 3 month's pay for him with no pressure

if he fails, it's the owners fault. It won't harm his reputation any as everyone in football knows about our basketcase owners

Brought in as a firefighter IMO.

21 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Does anyone else think putting him with an assistant manager he has never met is a bit strange? Everything just feels very "short term" with this and feel like he is just babysitting the club for the next 10 weeks or so...

Which is why I was pissed off and got shot down for it as being negative by someone. 

yes he could extend his stay, we all know he won’t let’s be honest. 

If we lose games we won’t offer him the job, if he wins games he will get better offers (even in league 2) that he would take over us. 

If he somehow did stay, he will be kicked out for calling Barry a Twat. 

It’s all short term, it’s all fucking annoying and quite frankly pathetic. 

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

We've gone down from better positions than this. 

This is a genuine fear that I have. There is often an upturn in results when a new manager is brought in - but what if it doesn’t happen? It wouldn’t take much for us to be dragged down to bottom three or four. 

I will be watching the game this evening with more than the usual amount of trepidation ... 😮

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Does anyone else think putting him with an assistant manager he has never met is a bit strange? Everything just feels very "short term" with this and feel like he is just babysitting the club for the next 10 weeks or so...

An assistant manager who was "brought in to help out" only recently...

Doesn't really add up does it.

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This is a genuine fear that I have. There is often an upturn in results when a new manager is brought in - but what if it doesn’t happen? It wouldn’t take much for us to be dragged down to bottom three or four. 

I will be watching the game this evening with more than the usual amount of trepidation ... 😮

Unless we are replacing our players with pencil sharpeners and rubbers, then there is no way on this earth we will finish below Southend, Barrow and Grimsby...

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

We haven't...

OK. I can't be bothered to look up absolute detail but how many games did we win after the semi-final loss in 1994?  Point is we are most certainly not safe.

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Unless we are replacing our players with pencil sharpeners and rubbers, then there is no way on this earth we will finish below Southend, Barrow and Grimsby...

We'd only have to finish below two of them... :)

2 hours ago, BJBlue said:

I watched his interview this morning and came away thinking he seems like the solid, experienced manager that we have been desperately needing and that I'll be amazed if he sees out the 2 months. He's the type to call a spade a spade and call a fool a fool and that won't go down well at all. He already said in that interview that all owners think their team should be at the top but it can't always be the fault of the players and manager why they aren't. That kind of on point honesty will see him out of the door quickly if the recent past is anything to go by. 

my thoughts exactly! I like him but can see him calling Mo a cunt and be gone by summer...

I hope I’m wrong because he’s the first experienced manager (bar Shez) since Penney “shudders” (Royle doesn’t count)

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

In the Premier League. Hardy a given that we would have won them. We are 8th from bottom in a division that only 2 sides go down from. We are going nowhere...

unlikley but not impossible.

Maybe the fire he's fighting is that even if they were priced at a fiver season ticket sales wouldn't be looking promising

Archived