MATCH: vs Cambridge United (H) 13/03/21

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Walker: OG on his league debut, says it all.  Doubt he'd get a game in the National League South.

Badan: struggling again out of position

Diarra: worst player in the pitch by a country mile.  Shouldn't have made half time

Ntambwe and McCalmont: barely won a ball or found a blue shirt between them

Fage: did ok, got in their faces far more than Ntambwe or McCalmont, but isn't going to change a game

McAleny: missing in action, again. Doesn't work in this system at all. - I thought he played well in the first half and linked up with the other forward players.  He's almost acting as the foil in that front three which is bad for him but gave Hilßner, DKD and Adams more space.

Hilssner: best of a bad bunch in the middle, should've stayed on

Adams: our best player for me, but less effective after he was switched to the left

Piergianni: another solid performance

Keillor-Dunn: took his chances well, would like to see him up front playing off somebody who can hold the ball up - very impressed with his composure and finishing for the goals and I don't mind him taking responsibility for the pen.  He should've done much better for the headed chance between his goals though.

Bahamboula couldn't do much, Grant is not a target man for me, and Tasdemir is a waste of space - I'm glad that Curle played Bahamboula deeper and wider today and as a result he was much more threatening than Tuesday.  Grant's the closest thing to a target man that we have, which says a lot because naturally he isn't one.  I thought that Tasdemir looked OK playing a bit more centrally and as an attacking midfielder rather than as a winger or a striker.

Very good post though and I agree with everything else that's not in bold.

I'm actually more optimistic after that than after Tuesday.  Curle played Hilßner and Bahamboula in much more natural positions which is promising and I don't have an issue with the shape we used. 

The big concerns are that we don't have a proper target man for him to use (not Curle's fault) and some very poor/abysmal individual performances today.

Walker didn't justify being in ahead of Bilboe although I'd only really blame him for the 4th goal.  Ntambwe was poor but I thought that McCalmont was worse and has not earned his place on current form.  Of course Diarra was the abysmal performance, he may have been given a contract extension but he'll definitely be dropped on Tuesday.

For me, if we play...

Bilboe (either keeper really)

Clarke

Piergianni

Jameson

Adams

Ntambwe (or any other midfielder)

Hilßner

Badan

Bahamboula

McAleny

DKD

...on Tuesday, we'll stand a good chance of a win.

19 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Agree with most of this apart from the comments on McAleny and McCalmont. 

McAleny certainly didn’t go missing but the system played by Curle gave him few opportunities.

McCalmont was busy all afternoon but he does get knocked off the ball far too easily.

Jameson is available  on Tuesday but where oh where is Borthwick-Jackson? 

McCalmont was "busy" in that he runs about a lot, but I stand by what I said - he never won the ball, and hardly completed a pass.  Not a forward one, anyway.  We need more than that from him.

I'm not sure how Borthwick-Jackson is supposed to help things either, he's not a centre back either and just as suspect as Badan defensively. 

People just seem to always want whoever didn't play on the last defeat, forgetting why they were dropped in the first place.  It's a bit like those claiming Whelan will solve our problems as if he's magically a different player from earlier in the season.

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Doesn't come across as disillusioned at all for me, I'm sure he didn't have any illusions to start with. Just rightly very frustrated about losing a 2-0 lead and missing the penalty.

37 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Very good post though and I agree with everything else that's not in bold.

I'm actually more optimistic after that than after Tuesday.  Curle played Hilßner and Bahamboula in much more natural positions which is promising and I don't have an issue with the shape we used. 

The big concerns are that we don't have a proper target man for him to use (not Curle's fault) and some very poor/abysmal individual performances today.

Walker didn't justify being in ahead of Bilboe although I'd only really blame him for the 4th goal.  Ntambwe was poor but I thought that McCalmont was worse and has not earned his place on current form.  Of course Diarra was the abysmal performance, he may have been given a contract extension but he'll definitely be dropped on Tuesday.

For me, if we play...

Bilboe (either keeper really)

Clarke

Piergianni

Jameson

Adams

Ntambwe (or any other midfielder)

Hilßner

Badan

Bahamboula

McAleny

DKD

...on Tuesday, we'll stand a good chance of a win.

How about the novelty of playing 2 up front?

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

3 at the back is very difficult if the players aren't accustomed to playing it, needs time on the training ground and centre backs comfortable in possession, not sure we have either of both of those at the moment.

Anything at the back is difficult with shit players. 

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

How about the novelty of playing 2 up front?

Because

- We haven't played 2 upfront all season and have been scoring freely.

- We haven't got 2 out and out strikers at the club.

- It won't stop us shipping goals.

- Its the default solution by old stick in the muds who haven't moved on despite the fact most clubs even at this level don't play 2 upfront anymore.

12 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Because

- Its the default solution by old stick in the muds who haven't moved on despite the fact most clubs even at this level don't play 2 upfront anymore.

TBF 4 4 2 can work, it  gives the opposition something different to think about. The problem is we don't have the players that can adapt to different systems. Changing the coach every few months just confuses the situation. Stability is what we need, unfortunately the only constant is at board level and the DOF who is fucking clueless. 

1 hour ago, doctor evil said:

Overall I thought the performance was ok. We just shot ourselves in the foot giving away 3 goals against one of the better teams in the division. On the penalty, there should've been a designated penalty taker and if that was grant he had to take it.

That's extremely generous.  Many of our players seemed not to have the ability to complete simple passes or control simple balls (and that's not for the first time this season). 

Cambridge might be near the top of the league, but they were awful (there was one corner routine in the second-half where it was played short, the chap took his time, picked his spot and then hoofed it high into the Chaddy, which had me in stitches..).  The entire division is awful and we're getting dumped on on a regular basis.

I think we're so used to us being shit that we see the merest demonstration of competence as "ok" these days.  

The club's knackered....

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

That's extremely generous.  Many of our players seemed not to have the ability to complete simple passes or control simple balls (and that's not for the first time this season). 

Cambridge might be near the top of the league, but they were awful (there was one corner routine in the second-half where it was played short, the chap took his time, picked his spot and then hoofed it high into the Chaddy, which had me in stitches..).  The entire division is awful and we're getting dumped on on a regular basis.

I think we're so used to us being shit that we see the merest demonstration of competence as "ok" these days.  

The club's knackered....

I try to take into account what I perceive to be the level of the players we've got. I see us as a middle of the road league 2 outfit. We've got a few players who are better than that but a lot that aren't. If you go into every match expecting to see loads of quality you're going to be disappointed a hell of a lot.

6 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

I try to take into account what I perceive to be the level of the players we've got. I see us as a middle of the road league 2 outfit. We've got a few players who are better than that but a lot that aren't. If you go into every match expecting to see loads of quality you're better off going to see 91 other teams

FIFY 

55 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Because

Don't fall for trends, they come and go. 2 good players up front will work against any team.

Just now, BP1960 said:

Don't fall for trends, they come and go. 2 good players up front will work against any team.

And some die a death like 2-3-5 and the W M formation.

Their will always be some enbittened old timer telling us we should do it like we used too I'm the golden days.

Again how does 2 upfront solve our defensive problems

4 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

I try to take into account what I perceive to be the level of the players we've got. I see us as a middle of the road league 2 outfit. We've got a few players who are better than that but a lot that aren't. If you go into every match expecting to see loads of quality you're going to be disappointed a hell of a lot.

I think McEleney and possibly Bahamboula and Hilsner are better than middle of the road League 2.  DKD, Pidge and Adams are probably middle of the road League 2. The rest are lucky to be here.

I gave up on seeing quality at Latics a long time ago....I do expect a certain standard, though and that seems to have declined fairly rapidly since our current owners have been in place.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Big difference between trends and evolution. The games changed and moved on, with the wingers/attackers chipping in with a lot more goals these days rather than 2 men up top. 

Plus what you say is flawed. We don’t have two midfielders that combine well enough to play in a 2. We don’t even have a proper striker at the club never mind two. 

Just because it's out of fashion doesnt mean it won't work. Wait till I win the Euromillions, buy the owner out, sack his brother and run the team with good players using Big Joe's formation.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Just because it's out of fashion doesnt mean it won't work. Wait till I win the Euromillions, buy the owner out, sack his brother and run the team with good players using Big Joe's formation.

I'll be your assistant BP, I promise I won't bring a clipboard.

Archived