MATCH: vs Scunthorpe United (A) 16/03/21

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Was going to say we're prob safe at 0-1. But now we're drawing, been here before. But will struggle to to go down even if we wanted to surely....

Grimsby should be out of the equation tomorrow night with the trannies visiting but let's see if Scunny can up their game for the visit of Southend on Saturday.

No ambition and back to our regulation 17th place.

4 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

He's got until the end of the season to change his ways

To be honest a smart club that has brought him in to our current situation would understand that most of our squad won't fit his style, but let him keep the ones that he feels he can work with, get rid of the rest, and bring in players who fit his style.

Sadly we aren't even close to being a smart club.

Watching their goal back, the ball comes in too easily from their left because Adams is sat in too deep and narrow, but how the hell does Badan lose his marker so quickly!  When the camera leaves him as the ball is moved left he's right next to Hallam, but when the ball reaches the striker he's dropped off him so much!  I know he's not a natural centre back but that's just basic defending.

Much better shape than at Port Vale last week and better all round display however still get the feeling that this season is starting to resemble the relegation season in so far as we were playing some great stuff at times in the earlier part of the season (well between games 10-20 after a terrible start), then performances dipped, goals and wins dried up and draws became the order of the day. 

Just one win in 9 I think now, that great 20 minutes at Carlisle, thought we were heading for a win tonight but a last gasp equaliser (although had been coming), quite reminiscent of that awful end to the season when we just couldn't buy a win, 

In that season though, 21st position left us relegated, this season anything above 23rd will retain our league status.   

7 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Much better shape than at Port Vale last week and better all round display however still get the feeling that this season is starting to resemble the relegation season in so far as we were playing some great stuff at times in the earlier part of the season (well between games 10-20 after a terrible start), then performances dipped, goals and wins dried up and draws became the order of the day. 

Just one win in 9 I think now, that great 20 minutes at Carlisle, thought we were heading for a win tonight but a last gasp equaliser (although had been coming), quite reminiscent of that awful end to the season when we just couldn't buy a win, 

In that season though, 21st position left us relegated, this season anything above 23rd will retain our league status.   

Without wanting to jinx it, I think we'll be OK.  The draws are frustrating but even if we only get 3 points in the remaining 11 games (which would be a significant drop from our current poor form) it still means that Southend need 5 wins from 11 games or Grimsby would need 6 wins and a draw from their remaining 13 to overtake us. 

To win games they need to score goals.  They've scored 7 fewer goals than us combined.

7 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Without wanting to jinx it, I think we'll be OK.  The draws are frustrating but even if we only get 3 points in the remaining 11 games (which would be a significant drop from our current poor form) it still means that Southend need 5 wins from 11 games or Grimsby would need 6 wins and a draw from their remaining 13 to overtake us. 

To win games they need to score goals.  They've scored 7 fewer goals than us combined.

I do think we will be ok Bosh but we more or less sleepwalked into relegation in 2017/18 from a seemingly impregnable position. That season Dale strung together a few unlikely results which ultimately put pressure on us when we didn't see it coming, a couple of weeks ago the bottom 3 were adrift but Barrow have put 3 wins on spin together and are within touching distance. Only takes Southend or Grimsby to mount a similar run and we might be nervously looking over our shoulders.  Our away wins have dried up now, only away win since December at Carlisle whilst home form has tailed off after a couple of good wins in January v Salford & Newport. 

I think we should be ok with 2 more wins tbh 

Hope now Curle has seen that we will never ever be a team playing deep to allow teams to get at us and score.Ive lost count over the years of this. 

There used to be a good Chaddy

End chant of ""Attack attack  attack  attack attack" and that is good advice.

2 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Why are we putting nine men behind the ball to hang on to a lead against Scunthorpe?

We were definitely in the position to go for a second and kill the game off

Mainly because we aren’t very good, and our defence can’t be trusted.

32 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I do think we will be ok Bosh but we more or less sleepwalked into relegation in 2017/18 from a seemingly impregnable position. That season Dale strung together a few unlikely results which ultimately put pressure on us when we didn't see it coming, a couple of weeks ago the bottom 3 were adrift but Barrow have put 3 wins on spin together and are within touching distance. Only takes Southend or Grimsby to mount a similar run and we might be nervously looking over our shoulders.  Our away wins have dried up now, only away win since December at Carlisle whilst home form has tailed off after a couple of good wins in January v Salford & Newport. 

I think we should be ok with 2 more wins tbh 

I understand and I never underestimate our ability to catastrophically shoot ourselves in the foot.

I am confident that neither of the bottom two will catch us though.  Grimsby have a horrible April where the only bottom half side they play is us and, this cannot be ignored, they were desperate to sign Giles Coke in January.  As for Southend, they've scored 3 goals in their last 8 games.  All of those were worldies against Forest Green, they didn't score in the other 7 games.

EDIT: Grimsby play Bradford in April who are 13th, but they also have Salford, Cheltenham, Bolton, Morecambe and Exeter who are all chasing the playoffs or promotion.

47 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Mainly because we aren’t very good, and our defence can’t be trusted.

It's Bahamboula he doesnt trust, thinking they will catch us on the break if he loses possession.

It was just as if this was Curle's third game in charge...

Of anyone!

Absolute naivety with the subs. In fact, it was fucking diabolical.

It was like he was determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at any cost.

He almost succeeded.

3 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

It was just as if this was Curle's third game in charge...

Of anyone!

Absolute naivety with the subs. In fact, it was fucking diabolical.

It was like he was determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory at any cost.

He almost succeeded.

Inviting them on trying to defend a 1 nil lead usually ends how it did or worse,

Very frustrating and we could be in for a very long afternoon Saturday, especially if our former striker is still smarting and wanting revenge 

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It's Bahamboula he doesnt trust, thinking they will catch us on the break if he loses possession.

There’s a fine balance when you are winning a game in the closing stages - especially away from home - between trying to get another or protecting what you have. He chose the latter and that’s fair enough. If he had brought Bahamboula on and then we had conceded he would have been hammered on here for not bringing on a more defensive minded player, and rightly so in my opinion.
Its about game management and grinding out a result. We’ve conceded 60 odd goals this season though and that tells me that collectively the defence hasn’t been good enough.
A lot of the time it’s been due to  the weakness of the midfield players and the defence gets overrun, but they have to take responsibility for what happens in our penalty area and Scunthorpe’s equaliser came from a guy totally unmarked in our box in the dying minutes.
Really poor defending.

Bar the subs, I didn't think it was that bad. 

A million miles from Saturday's debacle - passing, control and movement actually looked professional. Both centre-backs looked decent. Not convinced about the keeper. 

We've got too many sub-standard players, but we nearly did a job on them. Hopefully Curle will take note of the impact the subs made. We move on. 

As mentioned by others, Curle takes the rap for that. Brainless double sub and even more brainless not to bring Bahamboula on. Bahamboula showed against Carlisle and Tranmere that, even when he isn't involved in a game, he needs to be on the pitch for every minute because he can provide moments of magic that gains us points.

On a side note, thought Piergianni did well again last night...

Archived