Playing Squad - Summer 21

3 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

Pretty harsh to judge Curle so critically after a short stint with an adopted poor/average at best squad.

IF he got the job it’d all come down, yet again, to how much say he has in building his own team.  And whilst I don’t believe many managers in the game now get a full say in who comes in, he’ll have a definite blue print of what sort of team and players he wants. He’ll also want time to build a culture in the dressing room and around the club, and there’s also that question mark around whether he’ll be allowed/given time to do so.

He has a formation and style that works so will want players that fit that. If he gets that then he’ll be a good manager for us. If he doesn’t then I’m not sure he’s that adaptable. I hope they back him with what he wants but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, astottie said:

Yes I would agree.  My fear is they are being released because the clubs don't have the money now to meet their demands. Quite a few are reported as having turned down offers from their current club. We of course would be in the same boat. Interesting to see how many of the released players get picked up.

clubs are struggling. Imagine offers on same money are t there this year so they rejected it. Can’t see many signing up early unless they get what they want so I’d bet most players will wait until last min to sign to drive up there wage. Expect very few signing until about a week before season starts 

No real surprises with the retained list, notwithstanding those signed by the sporting Director before KC rolled in.  Whatever money we have available, it needs investing in a solid spine to the team.  I would pull out the stops to sign Conor McAleny which would show some good intention but suspect he will be off to better things.  

14 minutes ago, Whitts said:

No real surprises with the retained list, notwithstanding those signed by the sporting Director before KC rolled in.  Whatever money we have available, it needs investing in a solid spine to the team.  I would pull out the stops to sign Conor McAleny which would show some good intention but suspect he will be off to better things.  

Leaves us with probably 8 who are worth keeping, so that's at least 16 new faces required. Mo will probably now be scouring transfermarkt.com for freebies he's never seen.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

As expected. 

Shame for Barnes - he has skill but is just too injury prone.

Borthwick-Jackson could be a decent footballer but just seems to have an attitude problem

The rest of those released are not up to it.

As for the contracted list, there are one or two on there lucky to have a chance next season - Diarra and Jameson need to step up big time. 

What’s needed:

2 keepers

2 centre backs

2 fullbacks

2 defensive midfielders

1 creative midfielder 

2 strikers (or 3 if McAleny leaves)

Thats a dozen minimum and they have to be an improvement on those leaving or we face another disappointing season.

After 3 seasons of his operati

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Leaves us with probably 8 who are worth keeping, so that's at least 16 new faces required. Mo will probably now be scouring transfermarkt.com for freebies he's never seen.

After several seasons of a failed business model and thousands of pounds wasted on dross, maybe they will finally realise that it has not worked and they will allow someone who knows what they are doing recruit the team.  There are enough decent players being released at the moment who could be brought in early and get the club challenging at the right end.  How we all deserve something positive to look forward to after this COVID affected season!

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

What’s needed:

2 keepers

2 centre backs

2 fullbacks

2 defensive midfielders

1 creative midfielder 

Thats a dozen minimum and they have to be an improvement on those leaving or we face another disappointing season.

and no more wingers....

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Shame for Barnes - he has skill but is just too injury prone.

Borthwick-Jackson could be a decent footballer but just seems to have an attitude problem

The rest of those released are not up to it.

As for the contracted list, there are one or two on there lucky to have a chance next season - Diarra and Jameson need to step up big time. 

What’s needed:

2 keepers

2 centre backs

2 fullbacks

2 defensive midfielders

1 creative midfielder 

ffs if youre gona piff in my general direction bc l said CBJ could be good if he could be arsed, before going on to say we need to somehow squeeze out about a quality ten. l'd like to think that you'd go a bit further than to say CBJ could be good if he could be arsed before going on to say that we need twelve 😂😂😂

'pint of what youve been drinking please'

Edited by Monty Burns
tidyup

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Whitts said:

After 3 seasons of his operati

After several seasons of a failed business model and thousands of pounds wasted on dross, maybe they will finally realise that it has not worked and they will allow someone who knows what they are doing recruit the team.  There are enough decent players being released at the moment who could be brought in early and get the club challenging at the right end.  How we all deserve something positive to look forward to after this COVID affected season!

No you see that would require brain cells to see the error of their ways.

Abdullah and Mo are thick!

They will carry on with this insanity.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

Can't say there are any surprises.  I think CBJ could've worked well in Curle's side at wing back but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Burton with Dino.

No way that McAleny will stay if there's League One interest.

The next question is how many of the under contract players are staying.

7 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Can't say there are any surprises.  I think CBJ could've worked well in Curle's side at wing back but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Burton with Dino.

No way that 'Anyone' will stay if there's League One interest.

The next question is how many of the under contract players are staying.

We could be starting from scratch yet again and so it continues 😧

10 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

If Curle stays he may go for Hallam Hope, a big favourite of his according to some.

This snippet on Wiki...

He has been praised for his finishing skills, movement and aerial threat but has been crtiicised for a lack of aggression, work rate and left-foot ability.

😮

19 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

This snippet on Wiki...

He has been praised for his finishing skills, movement and aerial threat but has been crtiicised for a lack of aggression, work rate and left-foot ability.

😮

Suppose if he was great at everything he wouldnt be playing in League 1 or 2

So he is only right footed, thats a 100 % improvement on some from last season.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, disjointed said:

That list of defenders make me fear that next season will be a repeat of this season, hopefully we are allowed to go to away games though, be good to meet up with old friends and chew the cud. 

I can’t see any list of defenders!😆

• Matt unfeatured this topic