Playing Squad - Summer 21

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Yep and Jameson 

I think Jameson may develop into a reasonable player. I had no confidence in Diarra at all. I don't even know what his best position is.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Handsy said:

I don’t think Jameson will improve in any way shape or form   I’d get rid ASAP too many mistakes in his game 

His mistakes stem from overconfidence, something Curle alluded to last season, so hopefully he'll get this knocked out of him. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

When you consider that at least half the our current squad are garbage. We are still at least 6/7 short from anything resembling a half decent squad. 

yes - I like our signings so far - yes they’ve all come from struggling sides last year but we sold Milligan after being relegated ourselves in 95 so you can’t say “they were crap last year so still will be” 

but, we have much work to do - Blackwood, Badan and Diarra can absolutely not be seen as players for next year and should be moved - as should Jameson but if any of them are to stay I’d choose him 

we need to replace the creativity of McAlmont and McEleney - Curle still has a lot to do 

3 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

yes - I like our signings so far - yes they’ve all come from struggling sides last year but we sold Milligan after being relegated ourselves in 95 so you can’t say “they were crap last year so still will be” 

but, we have much work to do - Blackwood, Badan and Diarra can absolutely not be seen as players for next year and should be moved - as should Jameson but if any of them are to stay I’d choose him 

we need to replace the creativity of McAlmont and McEleney - Curle still has a lot to do 

Totally agree mate. 

I like Magehy Hope and the keeper. Solid signings. 

Clarke and Hart could be punts but you never know. 

Still need a back up keeper, a left back, a ball winning midfielder. (A shit version of Kante will do) two wide players, and two strikers. (Mac will be off at 12.01 on the 1st of July.) 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Totally agree mate. 

I like Magehy Hope and the keeper. Solid signings. 

Clarke and Hart could be punts but you never know. 

Still need a back up keeper, a left back, a ball winning midfielder. (A shit version of Kante will do) two wide players, and two strikers. (Mac will be off at 12.01 on the 1st of July.) 

I will be sat behind the directors box and Clarke will probably have his Mrs sat there so he will do for me…

Having said that keep him fit (which could be the issue) he sounds like he knows his game which is 100% an upgrade on the 3 we have chosen to bin 

but you are absolutely right, 5 signings in one day does not hide we still have a fucking lot to do 

57 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Blackwood gone 

I'm not going to ignore the fact that there were games where he was either totally ineffective or just plain crap, but he also showed glimpses of real skill and quality (Cheltenham and Exeter goals stand out).  I wouldn't have minded if we kept him on for another year and try to make something out of him, but not really disappointed that he's gone.

Will he follow Kewell to Barnet or head back to Australia?

18 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'm not going to ignore the fact that there were games where he was either totally ineffective or just plain crap, but he also showed glimpses of real skill and quality (Cheltenham and Exeter goals stand out).  I wouldn't have minded if we kept him on for another year and try to make something out of him, but not really disappointed that he's gone.

Will he follow Kewell to Barnet or head back to Australia?

Hold up here. Didn't the Cheltenham goal just hit him after the keeper saved a shot? An absolute flop and good riddance to him. No wonder the Lemsagam brothers don't like it when the Head Coach makes a signing if this is the kind of player a head coach brings in...

5 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Blackwood looked short, may have developed into something but dont think we are in a position to be carrying people for 2/3 years in the hope they make it like Blackwood/Barnes. 

I agree specifically about Blackwood and Barnes, but I think giving players a year or 18 months to settle at the club as squad players can pay off if they aren't on high wages.  Look at Kieran Lee and Dale Stephens, it took them at least 18 months to settle in but when they did they were very useful players.  Matt Smith is another example, albeit an extreme one.  It can also lower the turnover of players year-on-year.

Whelan is the best example of this type of player in the current squad.

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Hold up here. Didn't the Cheltenham goal just hit him after the keeper saved a shot? An absolute flop and good riddance to him. No wonder the Lemsagam brothers don't like it when the Head Coach makes a signing if this is the kind of player a head coach brings in...

Just watched it back and not really.  Not an amazing goal by any means but it was a good little flick when the ball was behind him.  It involved skill to score it which other players wouldn't have been able to.

As I said, no tears shed due to him leaving but I wouldn't be surprised if he does well with his next club and has a decent career.  Reminds me a little of Lee Erwin and Chris Porter in their early stages with us.  Pretty underwhelming starts but then hit a rich vein of form given time. 

He was always going to be a player for us to develop (Kewell said as much in his 1st interview), so it's harsh to say that he's a flop when he was out injured for months which hindered his development just as he was getting game time.

2 hours ago, latics22 said:

Should have kept him another year.

Tomas Egert syndrome: gets a free pass by hardly ever playing, because it's easier to look average when you only play a few minutes at the end of games that are already foregone conclusions

Players who aren't fit enough to play a decent number of matches are a luxury we can't afford, unless they are an exceptional prospect.  He isn't. 

It won't be hard to find somebody of similar ability who can actually turn out occasionally for the money

15 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Tomas Egert syndrome: gets a free pass by hardly ever playing, because it's easier to look average when you only play a few minutes at the end of games that are already foregone conclusions

Players who aren't fit enough to play a decent number of matches are a luxury we can't afford, unless they are an exceptional prospect.  He isn't. 

It won't be hard to find somebody of similar ability who can actually turn out occasionally for the money

Spot on. 

It’s one of our biggest issues, carrying at least 5 or 6 (sometimes on relatively big money) in the squad who hardly ever play. 

Archived