Playing Squad - Summer 21

11 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Curle is yet to win a game in what is a shite league. Why are we praising him. 

It's all shite and we've become far too used to it, we need a win of any kind soon, if only to settle the nerves.

Hope he can get the balance sorted for next season and put an end to this torment

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Apologise for not praising Sir Curle 

Fair play giving him a knighthood before he has really earned it.

for me, he is the first actual manager we have singed since Ronnie Moore (taking away Shez’s returns), he has a promotion from this hell hole on his CV and in a few games actually has us looking like a team of footballers with some shape.

yes we scored lots under Kewell as do my 6 year old cousins team whilst running around like headless chickens and losing 8-6 

we simply will not get out of this division conceding as we have been doing. The goals had already dried up which would have been even more concerning if Kewell continued his “everyone concedes” approach 

20 shots yesterday - the result isn’t Curle - it’s that we couldn’t get 1 out of those shots in

45 minutes ago, League one forever said:

KD signs contract extension for next season. Good news, he’s been one of our better performers. 

We asked for some continuity in the squad and it looks like we’re getting it. 

(Awaits outrage that we aren’t giving out 3 year contracts in the middle of a pandemic) 

Gone to Bradford for £10,000 in July 

no it’s a good move and I didn’t for one minute thought I’d be saying that after his first few games. In fact, I had him down as one of the worst signings we had ever made.

Happy to eat that pie 

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Gone to Bradford for £10,000 in July 

no it’s a good move and I didn’t for one minute thought I’d be saying that after his first few games. In fact, I had him down as one of the worst signings we had ever made.

Happy to eat that pie 

Same mate, although to be fair it’s only calling as you see it. He did start very poorly, and then improved. Fair play to him. 

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

KD signs contract extension for next season. Good news, he’s been one of our better performers. 

We asked for some continuity in the squad and it looks like we’re getting it. 

(Awaits outrage that we aren’t giving out 3 year contracts in the middle of a pandemic) 

Even tho Ur my favourite poster and you're walking Claire from accounts down the isle for our big day. Going by your rational, signing a player from a team that is bottom end of league two, can't be a good thing?

37 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Even tho Ur my favourite poster and you're walking Claire from accounts down the isle for our big day. Going by your rational, signing a player from a team that is bottom end of league two, can't be a good thing?

Woah. . . I didn’t commit to walking her down the isle. I bet you’ve got Mo doing a reading as well haven’t you? Let me guess, Luke- chapter 5 verse 2. . . ? Typical. 

No, it’s not mate. Unfortunately the bar for a positive spin on things is at all time low. I’m not that far from away from calling Pidge a steady eddy. 

36 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Woah. . . I didn’t commit to walking her down the isle. I bet you’ve got Mo doing a reading as well haven’t you? Let me guess, Luke- chapter 5 verse 2. . . ? Typical. 

No, it’s not mate. Unfortunately the bar for a positive spin on things is at all time low. I’m not that far from away from calling Pidge a steady eddy. 

He is a steady eddy! Jesus he's better than the rest of the crock of shit.. mo is trying to ruin the wedding with his negativeness he's banned !

In 1970/71, the last time we got promotion out of this division, we used a squad of 20 players, three of whom - Short, Marsland and Robins - made 5 appearances or less. So, 17 regular players compared to the current 33 on @oafcmetty's list. I accept that the game has changed with its proliferation of loan players, scholars in first XI squads, etc, but for a club as hard up as we are the size of that squad is incredible.

More worryingly, the 1970/71 squad had players of the calibre of Dowd, Wood, Whittle, Bowie, McNeil, Bebbington, Shaw, Fryatt and Bryceland. Whittle and Bowie played every league game that season and Wood, Shaw, Fryatt and Bryceland played 45 each, Bebbington 43. Fryatt scored 24 league goals that season and Shaw 23.

The gulf in quality between that squad and the current one is night and day. Not one of the current squad could hold a candle to the names that I've mentioned.

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

In 1970/71, the last time we got promotion out of this division, we used a squad of 20 players, three of whom - Short, Marsland and Robins - made 5 appearances or less. So, 17 regular players compared to the current 33 on @oafcmetty's list. I accept that the game has changed with its proliferation of loan players, scholars in first XI squads, etc, but for a club as hard up as we are the size of that squad is incredible.

More worryingly, the 1970/71 squad had players of the calibre of Dowd, Wood, Whittle, Bowie, McNeil, Bebbington, Shaw, Fryatt and Bryceland. Whittle and Bowie played every league game that season and Wood, Shaw, Fryatt and Bryceland played 45 each, Bebbington 43. Fryatt scored 24 league goals that season and Shaw 23.

The gulf in quality between that squad and the current one is night and day. Not one of the current squad could hold a candle to the names that I've mentioned.

Scored hatful of goals, but had solid defence  with good honest defenders who then went on to gain promotion 3 years later , wood whittle and mulvaney. Ogden understudied for Dowd  until Harry got an injury and got his chance.

So lesson was ans still is Build from the back and maybe get loanees in to add that extra in midfield and attack(surridge and Lang stand out recently)

5 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Fryatt and Shaw 47 goals between them as 2 up front, much better tactics nowadays though with no strikers and the so called false number 9.😉

Just now, BP1960 said:

Fryatt and Shaw 47 goals between them as 2 up front, much better tactics nowadays though with no strikers and the so called false number 9.😉

A great combination but I doubt Fryatt would get a kick nowadays.............how the game's changed.

34 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

False number 9 has been a legitimate and successful tactic for Barcelona and Arsenal.  For us it doesn't merit that description; it's just desperation.

2 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

So lesson was ans still is Build from the back and maybe get loanees in to add that extra in midfield and attack(surridge and Lang stand out recently)

Yes but we've already signed up most of this season's defence 😬

On 3/30/2021 at 2:31 PM, Dave_Og said:

False number 9 has been a legitimate and successful tactic for Barcelona and Arsenal.  For us it doesn't merit that description; it's just 

I'm tongue in cheek as usual Dave.

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

All goes to prove we have a poor defence and are not good at scoring from set pieces doesn't it?

Proves we have a VERY poor defence. Your second point is a bit of a stretch. 

Archived