Playing Squad - Summer 21

24 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Proves we have a VERY poor defence. Your second point is a bit of a stretch. 

Yes I'll take that but we'll also be struggling to score from open play if he doesn't play Bamboozler when available. When he doesn't play the others don't get freed up or find space and now we don't have a Rowe type player we have no one to hold up the play either. He says that Bamboozler has a lack of defensive qualities, so pray tell Mr Curly Keith what do Garrity, Whelan, McCalmont and DKD offer in that department and some of our bloody defenders can't even defend.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Yes I'll take that but we'll also be struggling to score from open play if he doesn't play Bamboozler when available. When he doesn't play the others don't get freed up or find space and now we don't have a Rowe type player we have no one to hold up the play either. He says that Bamboozler has a lack of defensive qualities, so pray tell Mr Curly Keith what do Garrity, Whelan, McCalmont and DKD offer in that department and some of our bloody defenders can't even defend.

So, if you were manager, which 4 players from our vastly talented squad would you replace them with?

Just now, oafc1955 said:

So, if you were manager, which 4 players from our vastly talented squad would you replace them with?

Sorry to upset you but we don't have a vastly talented squad and I didn't say that I would replace them (although I would if given the money and knowing who would be available) I was making the point that Bamboozler is being criticised for something that others are also guilty of.

7 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Missing the point! No one in that team can defend, so don't drop the only decent outlet we have for players with no skill or defending ability !!!! What bam brings is more than any defence, attack is the best form of defence 

7 hours ago, C.O.JONES said:

Sorry to upset you but we don't have a vastly talented squad and I didn't say that I would replace them (although I would if given the money and knowing who would be available) I was making the point that Bamboozler is being criticised for something that others are also guilty of.

Fair enough...I agree and would play Bahamboula every game but not necessarily from the start.

12 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Fair enough...I agree and would play Bahamboula every game but not necessarily from the start.

I believe that you should always start with your strongest team available and get your nose in front first. I'm not a great believer in bringing on your 'impact' player/s later on in the game, it probably means you are chasing the game and it may be too late by then. Substitutions should only be made for injuries, tactical, or changing formation, fatigue should not come into question as they should all be fit to be selected in the first instance. 

2 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Nonsense 

We're crap and need to use the only serviceable weapon in our minimalist armoury 

Oh I don't know, I've got AL and MO down as absolute Grade A weapons. 

On 3/30/2021 at 2:31 PM, Dave_Og said:

False number 9 has been a legitimate and successful tactic for Barcelona and Arsenal.  For us it doesn't merit that description; it's just desperation.

I'm not having that. Urko Vera was the greatest false 9 I've ever seen live. He was so good, whatever position he played deserved the adjective. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Move heaven and earth for Mac. 

Bin the rest. 

Conor is almost certainly due to finish with over twenty goals.

How many of his calibre are available?

With the likely embargo on signing players for a fee (for clubs who took emergency EFL loans or state aid), hanging on to the one we have is clearly a great idea.

Sadly our offer to Conor may not be attractive enough, but I would hope the club could structure some bonus laden deal which said his end of season bonus would be tempting.

Watching him play, he is desperate to score, exasperated if he doesn't receive the ball when in the right area and works tirelessly, all good traits.

The other question for me is goalkeeper, I warmed to Ian Lawlor and Laurie Walker has been an unlikely success. Is it smart to keep one, rather than another lucky dip?

If CBJ is in budget and would stay, I would keep him.

12 minutes ago, Mayfield said:

Conor is almost certainly due to finish with over twenty goals.

How many of his calibre are available?

With the likely embargo on signing players for a fee (for clubs who took emergency EFL loans or state aid), hanging on to the one we have is clearly a great idea.

Sadly our offer to Conor may not be attractive enough, but I would hope the club could structure some bonus laden deal which said his end of season bonus would be tempting.

Watching him play, he is desperate to score, exasperated if he doesn't receive the ball when in the right area and works tirelessly, all good traits.

The other question for me is goalkeeper, I warmed to Ian Lawlor and Laurie Walker has been an unlikely success. Is it smart to keep one, rather than another lucky dip?

If CBJ is in budget and would stay, I would keep him.

Keepers and defenders are ten a penny. 20 goal a season strikers are not, sacrifice a wage elsewhere and pay Mac ‘double wages’ 

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

I'm sad that @singe has done twitter polls for keep/release, but not done it here. Yet...?

Just testing it as I  got it wrong trying to making possible to answer one for each but also answer each option, it got messy last time. Trying to figure it out.

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

It’s easy Metty. 

Of the out of contract players- 

Move heaven and earth for Mac. 

Bin the rest. 

Yeah, pretty much where I am. But I'm under the impression McAleny told the club in January that he was happy to stay till the end of the season but then would be moving on in the summer. Apart from Bahamboula, the rest can go. Even those under contract. Offer them settlements or just offer them out to any takers...

I'm going to make the assumptions that next season we'll have an average budget for this league, that Curle will stay on and that there won't be a fire sale needed.  Sadly those are assumptions rather than expectations.

However with that in mind...

On 3/17/2021 at 11:32 AM, oafcmetty said:

Picking up the baton from Crusoe. Will keep post 1 updated...

1. Ian Lawlor (season loan from Doncaster Rovers) - not worth breaking the bank to get but we could do worse at this level.
13. Gary Woods (2021) - (full-season loan to Aberdeen) - in reality he's already gone.
33. Laurence Bilboe (2021 plus option) - I'm afraid that the writing is on the wall if you're fit and ready yet an emergency loan is brought in to play your position.
30. Mackenzie Chapman (scholar) - a cheap back up option I guess.
37. Laurie Walker (emergency short-term loan from MK Dons) - after a ropey start he's looked like a decent keeper.  I'd put him in the same category as Lawlor, but I suppose the question is whether his MK coaching commitments might restrict his availability.

2. Harry Clarke (full-season loan from Arsenal) - I think he's been decent rather than great but there's a lot of potential there.  He'll get a League One loan next year.
3. Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (2021) - keep.  He has flaws but he has obvious talent.  In squad terms he has shown that he can play either as a left centre-back or a left wing-back which would save money on bringing in another body.
4. Sido Jombati (2021) - whatever his reputation was before coming here, it simply hasn't worked out.  Release.
5. Carl Piergianni (2022) - captain next year I think.  If he keeps playing the way he's played under Curle then Wheater won't be missed at all.
14. Dylan Fage (2021) - keep.  Adams will be the first choice right wing-back and CBJ first choice left wing-back, but Fage has the skillset to play both roles, as a full-back and winger and has even filled in as central midfielder at times.  Still young too.  A squad player if there ever was one.
15. Kyle Jameson (2022) - a pleasant surprise this year and while I'm not convinced about him in a back two, left centre-back suits him perfectly.
20. Andrea Badan (2022) - flawed and not as versatile as Fage, but I'm sure he'd be a decent back up left wing-back to CBJ, so keep.
22. Raphaël Diarra (2022) - Cambridge still sticks in my head.  Strangely I'd keep him because he could fill in at right back and more importantly as a defensive midfielder.  I absolutely don't trust him at centre back though!
32. Will Sutton (scholar) - from the little I've seen of him, keep.

6. Ben Garrity (full-season loan from Blackpool) - I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a professional career for himself in League Two or the National League, but I hope we can do better.

8. Callum Whelan (2022) - keep and he could be a creative force next season.  Alongside a more experienced and physical player I could see him shining.
10. Davis Keillor-Dunn (2022) - most improved player this season and I see a fair amount of potential to improve further.  If we lose McAleny I could see him playing off a target man next season and improving on his goal tally from this season.
16. Brice Ntambwe (2021 plus option) - when our midfield was nowhere near strong enough in the early part of the season he came in a did the job we needed.  Sadly he isn't good enough for now and the future, so release.
17. Serhat Tasdemir (half-season loan from Peterboro) - umm......no.
21. Marcel Hilßner (half-season loan from Coventry) - clearly there's talent there.  I thought he was at his best when having control of the ball in a deep central midfield position.  He's not been great under Curle though and I don't think he'll come cheap, so not expecting him to be with us next season.
23. Nicky Adams (2022) - I'd say his signing is one of very few that we've made in League Two that says we're serious about pushing for promotion.  Unfortunately not much else about how the club conducts itself backs that up.
24. Dylan Bahamboula (2022) -please please please can we keep him so that we can watch him live?  Please??
25. Alfie McCalmont (full-season loan from Leeds) - he'll be in League One next season at least, but he is the template young loanee for fan expectations in my opinion.  Starting off by not cutting it at the level, learning and showing some talent but being inconsistent and finally showing that his capabilities are beyond this level like he has in the back end of the season.  As a club we relied too heavily on Whelan and McCalmont early on when they weren't ready, a proven player at the level is needed to guide them though (who said Chris McCann?)
28. Ben Hough (scholar) - very little idea.
43. Reece Gaskell (scholar) - no idea.
59. Jack Williams (scholar) - no idea.

7. George Blackwood (2022) - not overly convinced but Kewell said that he brought him in as a project rather than expecting instant success.  He's shown glimpses of what he can do, so I'd keep him on to build upon those glimpses.  I'm not totally sure what type of forward/striker he is.
11. Bobby Grant (full-season loan from Wrexham) - I think his experience has helped the squad this year but not a player that would improve us next year.
18. Conor McAleny (2021) - I'd be delighted and amazed if we kept him, but at his age I could see him looking for a decent multi-year contract in League One.  For all his talent though I think he needs a team that is built to suit him or else he might slip back down to this level.
19. Zak Dearnley (2022) - I think he's a really good finisher but sadly due to injuries he can't be relied on as first choice.  Worth the gamble of an extra year, fingers crossed.
26. Marcus Barnes (2021) - he has great pace, is he good enough otherwise?  Injuries have made it hard to tell.  A short term deal would suit the club well.
27. Vani Da Silva (scholar) - no idea.
29. Junior Luamba (scholar) - I like what I've seen of him so far.

With Curle in charge I don't think that a squad overhaul is really needed.  A few savvy experienced additions (a centre back or two, two central midfielders and a target man in my opinion) and keeping the talented players who it's touch and go whether they'd stay or not (basically Bahamboula) would be enough to have us at the right end of the table with him as manager.

All the board need to do is to let staff do their jobs...oh right.

10 hours ago, League one forever said:

Keepers and defenders are ten a penny. 20 goal a season strikers are not, sacrifice a wage elsewhere and pay Mac ‘double wages’ 

We have ten a penny defenders and keepers at the moment, the goals against column  backs this up. 

Can see us offering contracts to Fage Mcaleny borthwick  Jackson and one of the keepers Walker or lawlor  Mcaleny will prob decline  and may be Borthwick Jackson as well  I can see Fage signing and one of the goalies give us 12 0r 13  going forward for next season  if curle stays I hope they leave him to  sign the 5 or 6  key players we will need  next season

I

51 minutes ago, Handsy said:

if curle stays I hope they leave him to  sign the 5 or 6  key players we will need  next season

I think this is paramount. He's done pretty well with the players he inherited which don't really fit into his perceived favourite system so shouldn't be expected to have many foisted on him for next season.

I don't think we're far off a promotion challenging side, which is probably more an indictment of this division than any past expertise.

2 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Worth the additional year but he/the coaching staff need to work on the defensive side of his game.

’This lad has pace to burn’ - Roy Butterworth. *

(*) as do Barnes, Badan and Bahamboula when he gets those mighty long legs working 

Archived