Playing Squad - Summer 21

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/12/2021 at 1:24 PM, the_mighty_bosh said:

I have to respectfully disagree with these posts.  Granted Jameson and Fage are squad players at absolute best, but Whelan showed some promise towards the end of the season and for me he's looked like the type of player who will improve next season again with more games and an enforcer alongside him.  DKD's form dropped towards the end of the season but 10 goals for someone who isn't an out-and-out striker in their first EFL season isn't a disappointment.

Pidge is the one defender who has been more of a help than a hindrance this season.  He's limited no doubt, but he'll be the type of player that Curle will work well with if he stays.  Adams has been good and we won't get a more proven recent promotion winner from this level than him.

As for a 30 player turnover plus Curle leaving to have a chance of success...I'll happily do a £50 Latics-related bet (Playershare pledge or equivalent) that if Curle isn't manager for the first game of next season then we won't finish in the top 7. 

I'm also as certain that 15 in and 15 out won't leave us in a better position.  That's not to say that we don't need 15 better players in to push for promotion, but it would require more investment than we'll be able to put in to get that higher calibre of player.  I can't think of a manager at this level who we could get in who would be able to achieve that, and that's without the Sporting Director offering his "expertise".

All I have heard at the back end of the season is "how can Curle be expected to get results with the rubbish he has at his disposal?" You have mentioned DKD, Piergianni, Adams and Whelan all being good enough. Add to that Bahamboula, McCalmont, Clarke and McAleny, who we can all agree are more than good enough. The keeper has got a lot of praise since coming in (no idea why, but he has). That's 9 out of the regular that, one way or another, are deemed good enough on here. Surely Curle has underachieved then?

As for a playershare bet, I'm not giving another penny to playershare after they blew the last lot on Ricardo Fuller...

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

All I have heard at the back end of the season is "how can Curle be expected to get results with the rubbish he has at his disposal?" You have mentioned DKD, Piergianni, Adams and Whelan all being good enough. Add to that Bahamboula, McCalmont, Clarke and McAleny, who we can all agree are more than good enough. The keeper has got a lot of praise since coming in (no idea why, but he has). That's 9 out of the regular that, one way or another, are deemed good enough on here. Surely Curle has underachieved then?

As for a playershare bet, I'm not giving another penny to playershare after they blew the last lot on Ricardo Fuller...

I don't particularly rate Clarke, DKD or Walker, personally. Think they're average L2 players at best. Piergianni's limited, but play to his strengths and he's okay at this level. 

Guess it's also a question of what we mean by "good enough". Are the players you list good enough to be part of a squad that could push for the Top 7? Probably - if the rest of the squad were at the same level (which they're not...). Good enough to start in a promotion-winning team? Probably not, with a couple of exceptions.

For what it's worth, I think Curle's got a bottom-half squad and he's got bottom-half results out of it. Performing at about par, I reckon. 

Yes, they are all more than good enough for this division but when Curle came in we didn’t have a settled side and never did under Kewell. Curle needed time to assess the squad and had only a short time in which to do it!

Because of the way this club operates we will lose loanees, Clarke & Mcalmont.

Because of the way this club operates only offering one year deals we will never be able to keep our better players like McAleny, who should have had a (couldn’t refuse)contract extension months ago!

Because of the way this club operates we’re losing money hand over fist and we will probably be forced to sell Bahamboula to the highest bidder before the start of next season.

Because of the way this club operates we will only have half a dozen capable and contracted players for next season and will probably be bringing in yet another pile of inferior shite just to make up the numbers.

Because of the way the club operates there is no long term plan..... everything is geared to short term.

Don’t blame Curle for any of this sorry mess, blame the 🤡🤡‘S running the show!!!

********ABDALLAH OUT********

On paper you can say there's 9 good players. But fage, dkd, clarke, mccalmont are all very young as is whelan. Theyre not going to perform for 46 games. And even when they do perform is a 16 player game. As soon as they tire or get a knock, who do we have to replace them? Next season they will be better. But we need players around them aswell. Fage dkd whelan pierrgianni Adams, bahamboula and mcaleny if we can keep them will be strong next year. But they cant do it for 46 games on their own. So curle, although he's not impressed me much tactically, hasn't had a great deal to go with

Pretty harsh to judge Curle so critically after a short stint with an adopted poor/average at best squad.

IF he got the job it’d all come down, yet again, to how much say he has in building his own team.  And whilst I don’t believe many managers in the game now get a full say in who comes in, he’ll have a definite blue print of what sort of team and players he wants. He’ll also want time to build a culture in the dressing room and around the club, and there’s also that question mark around whether he’ll be allowed/given time to do so.

55 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Already see quite a few released players who I wouldn't mind - hope Curle or his replacement gets the chance to bring his own in.

The best will be gone as we will likely wait for last minute cheapos in August.

1 hour ago, mick26 said:

Already see quite a few released players who I wouldn't mind - hope Curle or his replacement gets the chance to bring his own in.

Yes I would agree.  My fear is they are being released because the clubs don't have the money now to meet their demands. Quite a few are reported as having turned down offers from their current club. We of course would be in the same boat. Interesting to see how many of the released players get picked up.

Updated:

30. Mackenzie Chapman (scholar)

5. Carl Piergianni (2022)
14. Dylan Fage (2022)
15. Kyle Jameson (2022)
20. Andrea Badan (2022)
22. Raphaël Diarra (2022)
32. Will Sutton (scholar)

8. Callum Whelan (2022)
10. Davis Keillor-Dunn (2022)
23. Nicky Adams (2022)
24. Dylan Bahamboula (2022)
28. Ben Hough (scholar)
43. Reece Gaskell (scholar)
59. Jack Williams (scholar)

7. George Blackwood (2022)
18. Conor McAleny (2021 - contract offered)
19. Zak Dearnley (2022)
27. Vani Da Silva (scholar)
29. Junior Luamba (scholar)

34. Harry Vaughan (scholar)

9 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Updated:

30. Mackenzie Chapman (scholar)

5. Carl Piergianni (2022)
14. Dylan Fage (2022)
15. Kyle Jameson (2022)
20. Andrea Badan (2022)
22. Raphaël Diarra (2022)
32. Will Sutton (scholar)

8. Callum Whelan (2022)
10. Davis Keillor-Dunn (2022)
23. Nicky Adams (2022)
24. Dylan Bahamboula (2022)
28. Ben Hough (scholar)
43. Reece Gaskell (scholar)
59. Jack Williams (scholar)

7. George Blackwood (2022)
18. Conor McAleny (2021 - contract offered)
19. Zak Dearnley (2022)
27. Vani Da Silva (scholar)
29. Junior Luamba (scholar)

34. Harry Vaughan (scholar)

That list of defenders make me fear that next season will be a repeat of this season, hopefully we are allowed to go to away games though, be good to meet up with old friends and chew the cud. 

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Seven scholars? Didn’t Paul Murray say he thought three or four might be taken on? 

I think I've only included scholars who've been part of match day squads. May have missed some though.

5 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Hopefully we can find a few diamond's in the rough, they'll be plenty to choose from and most certainly no worse than those retained or what's left.

Yes Mo will find Aladdin France or somewhere!

Archived