STATS: Over my shoulder? Safe as houses

Average points needed to achieve these key positions in Division 4 since 1987; champion, last automatic promotion place, last play-off place, and bottom two places. Seasons between 91 and 95 had less teams due to league restructure and clubs folding.

Latics would end the season on 53.89 pts if the seasons overall PPG is taken into account. Alternatively, if form PPG is used Latics would finish on 47.6 pts. On average, both of these scenarios are enough to beat relegation. The last time 48 pts was not enough to secure league safety was in the 2013/14 season when Bristol Rovers were relegated on 50pts by goal difference.

48 pts has been a relegation total 8 times in the last 32 seasons.

image.png

2 hours ago, Bender said:

48 pts has been a relegation total 8 times in the last 32 seasons.

So we're heading for a points total that would see us down one season in every four.  

The bookies think it's much less likely than that if they're offering odds of 50/1, but it's not very reassuring.

We certainly need to aim for better next season or we might not be so lucky.

Simply aiming for better and being lucky is delaying the inevitable. Our club is at least top end Division 1 and we shouldn’t be aiming for anything less.

AL & Co have dragged this club down to levels not seen for over 50 years and as a result fans expectations have been significantly lowered to such an extent that even surviving in the bottom tier of the football league has become acceptable!

I am sick to the back teeth of this regime and we simply have to get them out. They have had three years to convince fans they have good intentions and are capable of moving the club forward yet have failed in just about every aspect.

We have become a laughingstock and the longer they are here the worse the situation will become. With AL at the helm I’m convinced we will end up in the National League at best and liquidated at worst!!! The club is an absolute joke and it’s time supporters made themselves heard.

I urge PTB, the FLG and the trust to join forces and hopefully, with the backing of the fans can force him to put the club up for sale!!

*********ABDALLAH OUT*********

I have been concerned for some time that we may be sleepwalking towards the relegation trapdoor again as the goals have dried up alarmingly over last 9 games and only 1 win has been secured in that time courtesy of a wonderful 20 minutes at Carlisle. 

I do take some reassurance from the stats and think that only 6/7 points more should keep us safe however it is scant consolation when we appear to be going backwards season in/season out and unless radical action is taken to address our obvious shortcomings within the squad, i can only see further decline onthe horizon. 

What i will say on behalf of both Kewell and to a lesser extent Curle and the players is that I don't feel that there has ever been a time watching that I have felt that the players have put in less than 100% as a whole and the team seem to have developed quite a tight unit. I may well be wrong, I am not ITK and do not know any players personally but I think our shortcomings on the pitch are more a lack of individual quality and collective organisation. This is in stark contrast to the 2017/18 relegation where a team of individuals with substantially decent skills failed to develop collectively and were relegated when there really was no lack of quality. 

I am of the opinion that the club needs a complete change of leadership and I hope as a fanbase we can see it before the decline becomes even more marked     

7 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

What i will say on behalf of both Kewell and to a lesser extent Curle and the players is that I don't feel that there has ever been a time watching that I have felt that the players have put in less than 100% as a whole and the team seem to have developed quite a tight unit.

This is my perception too. 

With the annual influx of new players on short-term contracts or loans there has has been some talk of players not having any affiliation or feeling for the club. The togetherness and spirit within the squad is evident and allowing for fitness and obvious limitations, the team does work hard.

However it is also fair to say that asking certain individuals, McAleny for example, to tackle back is to the detriment of their attacking impact. When Dearnley is fit I would play him and Conor up front and tell them not to drop deep - old school huh?

Curle has already referred to the excellent spirit in the dressing room and that has to be a good thing.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

We could pick 0 points up between now and the end of the season and still stay up. Grimsby and Southend are doomed...

There is every chance we could pick up 0 points, I'm not as confident as you on the other. 

6 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

We could pick 0 points up between now and the end of the season and still stay up. Grimsby and Southend are doomed...

Don't bank on that one

Obviously not looked over your shoulder at our run in

Every chance of winning nothing, they only need to win a couple and we'll be dragged in proper.

18 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

AL & Co have dragged this club down to levels not seen for over 50 years and as a result fans expectations have been significantly lowered to such an extent that even surviving in the bottom tier of the football league has become acceptable!

If somehow we did get relegated, we may well be accepting survival in the NL under lemy.

17 minutes ago, al_bro said:

If somehow we did get relegated, we may well be accepting survival in the NL under lemy.

Would Curle be the first manager to be both promoted and relegated from the same division consecutively?

*of course he would walk before we went down 

17 hours ago, al_bro said:

AL won't mind, recruiting from the North West Counties league will save him a lot of money. 

On 3/18/2021 at 2:48 PM, Littlemoor Lad said:

Don't bank on that one

Every chance of winning nothing, they only need to win a couple and we'll be dragged in proper.

You haven’t looked at Grimsby and Southend’s run in...

Grimsby have a harder running than us and Southend’s is similar. We aren’t going down. No chance. 

16 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

You haven’t looked at Grimsby and Southend’s run in...

Grimsby have a harder running than us and Southend’s is similar. We aren’t going down. No chance. 

fancy inviting Steve Coppul over to arrange a lap of honour? 😉

• Matt unfeatured this topic
On 3/18/2021 at 2:48 PM, Littlemoor Lad said:

Don't bank on that one

Well that's 1 point closer to another year in paradise!

Archived