MATCH: vs Bradford City (A) 20/03/21

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

If you listen to Curle I think that he acknowledges and is pleased at the technical ability of many of the squad at his disposal. I would argue that in Clarke, Piergianni and Jameson he has a decent back three. And Fage looks better in a wing back role.

Furthermore his preferred formation allowed both McCalmont and Whelan to have a lot of the ball yesterday. Further forward, Keillor-Dunn has grown in confidence as the season has progressed - some of his ball retention yesterday was crucial. 

McAleny had seven attempts on goal yesterday which suggests that is getting opportunities as is Keillor-Dunn who had five.

In short, I think that he does have players who can play to his formation.

Bahamboula is a top player at this level he just needs to improve aspects of his decision making - when to run with the ball and when to give and go for example. Yes he could work harder out of possession but he is always available and does tackle back. 

There has been signs that the players are adapting to the new demands placed on them - let’s hope that this progress continues on Tuesday.

I hope you are right Big Dog, just looks a bit of a messy how do you do having an interim manager at this stage of the season. If we fail to make much progress results wise, the owners will not want him and will have another punt on someone else. If KC does get a few results, he can attract new suitors as if he succeeds at OAFC even in the short term that will be a massive plus given our recent history. 

I don't bother listening to our coaches/managers these days, just take the evidence from the results and what I see. I am very dubious about KC staying (above reasons), can't see McAleny being persuaded to stay and obviously McAlmont will be going back to Leeds, not sure of Whelan's status. 

I genuinely hope KC and the players can turn it round and put some positive results together, particularly at home as our home form is truly abysmal as in my initial post   

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

McAlmont will be going back to Leeds, not sure of Whelan's status. 

Whelan has another year, if McAlmont keeps up the upturn of recent games he’d be worth trying to get again 

At the moment taking the season as a whole I won’t lose any sleep for him to go back to Leeds U23s

36 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I hope you are right Big Dog, just looks a bit of a messy how do you do having an interim manager at this stage of the season.

We ain't the only one's doing this.

Bristol City, Portsmouth, Bournemouth and Doncaster have just made end of season appointments. All bigger clubs with bigger budgets. Walsall and Barrow in our league but the same dilemma for players signing on.

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

Bristol City, Portsmouth, Bournemouth and Doncaster have just made end of season appointments. All bigger clubs with bigger budgets. Walsall and Barrow in our league but the same dilemma for players signing on.

It doesn't make it right, even if other clubs are doing the same. 

• Bender unfeatured this topic
14 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

I still don't like the look of it with our players on shot term deals, don't know if the other clubs mentioned have players on similarly short term contracts. 

Incidentally, do you think 

(a) This interim manager role will be successful? IE We will finish higher than 16th which is where Kewell left us and we will prepare a decent base for our next season

(b) The interim manager (KC) will stay if results are good and (a) is achieved

(c) If (b), do you think the current owners will let KC have any say in recruitment for 2021/22 ?

16 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Whelan has another year, if McAlmont keeps up the upturn of recent games he’d be worth trying to get again 

At the moment taking the season as a whole I won’t lose any sleep for him to go back to Leeds U23s

If McAlmont is to develop, Leeds won't be looking to loan him out to a Division Two side next season.

39 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I still don't like the look of it with our players on shot term deals, don't know if the other clubs mentioned have players on similarly short term contracts. 

Incidentally, do you think 

(a) This interim manager role will be successful? IE We will finish higher than 16th which is where Kewell left us and we will prepare a decent base for our next season

(b) The interim manager (KC) will stay if results are good and (a) is achieved

(c) If (b), do you think the current owners will let KC have any say in recruitment for 2021/22 ?

Easy answer to all 3 points. I have no idea.

Short term player deals are not unusual in our league, so cannot see why not for the manager? In our case see if KC likes us and we like him and take it from there.

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

If you ran a business would you plan further than rwo months ahead? 

Do you really see much long term business planning in football?

Average managers tenure is down to 18 months now.

How many managers get 3 yr deal for example and then are fired early? Mourinho has made a decent living out of this and it is a damn site harder when you don't have millions to sqaunder on compensation payments.

Still think the  KC deal was good for both parties this time.

16 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Short term player deals are not unusual in our league, so cannot see why not for the manager? In our case see if KC likes us and we like him and take it from there.

How many managers get 3 yr deal for example and then are fired early? Mourinho has made a decent living out of this and it is a damn site harder when you don't have millions to sqaunder on compensation payments.

I actually see the point of an interim manager get someone in place in the short term and then look at a strategy in the summer.

However if you look at the recent history of our football club do you honestly think they will put together a strategy in place in the summer or will they continue to wing it like they have done for the last 3 years. Or even just drop it and do and do a runner.

Do I see Business planning yes the evidence is everywhere in the successful clubs over the last 5-6 years. Liverpool, Man City, Burnley, Brentford, Luton, Forrest Green, Newport, Salford. To name a few who have had success all comparitive all different types of clubs but you could say they are having success at their clubs.

The ones that plan think and strategise are usually the ones that succeed the ones that just wing it like us for the last decade plus are the ones that fail.

18 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Fair points but with our track record for firing managers yet another short term appointment just compounds the situation.  We have somehow managed to attract a manager with a decent track record in this division and it's unimaginable that he wouldn't be worth giving a go for 18 months at least.  It may be the case that it was his decision of course but if it was ours there are no positives for me.

31 minutes ago, OldhamAthlete said:

If McAlmont is to develop, Leeds won't be looking to loan him out to a Division Two side next season.

The longer this thing goes on, the easier it'll be to get loans from the bigger club's 

Alfie's good but they'll be plenty like him out there.

36 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I think the lack of continuity at Latics under this regime has been the major reason why the club is bumping along from crisis to crisis, seemingly finishing lower than the previous season with no stability on which to build firmer foundations. I find the whole thing ludicrous tbh, can accept short termism for players as there are a lot of them but not for the person seemingly in charge to organise the playing staff and put the team out on the pitch. 

Smacks of the usual short termism 

A lot of fanfare over a manager who hasn't won in his first 4 games. I know we had 20 shots on goal, but I never felt like we were actually likely to score. Fage played alright. Piergianni was good. Whelan was good. But it all had a bit of a testimonial feel to it...

AL must have spent a small fortune on players and coaches in the 3 years he’s been here for absolutely no reward whatsoever!

If he had spent the money wisely in the first place and appointed an experienced coach like Curle from day one and let him get on with it perhaps by now we could have been well into his dubious 5 year plan and contesting a Championship place.

That would have been the sensible approach if a promotion or two was really his intention however IMO I don’t think it ever was and he just saw us as a vehicle in which to extend his agency dealings and make easy money from player sales!!

Why else would you buy a football club saddled with debt and without the land it sits on....it makes no sense whatsoever!

I’m certain he has bought this football club for all the wrong reasons.

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

he just saw us as a vehicle in which to extend his agency dealings and make easy money from player sales!!

10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

And I'd have been fine with that as the only way it would have worked was if they had shone for us.

Archived