Trust meets new CEO Karl Evans

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Why on earth (or any other planet)would he?  Just because a Latics fan is famous doesn't make them a natural owner

Clearly it is something of a fantasy to expect Brian Cox to launch a takeover for Latics. 

However, I am consistently astounded at the amount of successful people from Oldham or with strong connections to our town. Witness the obituary of Paul Ritter, both of whose parents were from the town.

There would be mileage in tapping all these type of people in an organised fashion to publicise the club's plight, offer connections and support and generally up the profile of the town and the club.

The Put Something Back Club?

Similar happens in rugby league where big players like Kevin Sinfield, Barrie McDermott and Terry Flanagan support the town and the amateur clubs so that there remains a strong infrastructure and profile.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

Clearly it is something of a fantasy to expect Brian Cox to launch a takeover for Latics. 

However, I am consistently astounded at the amount of successful people from Oldham or with strong connections to our town. Witness the obituary of Paul Ritter, both of whose parents were from the town.

There would be mileage in tapping all these type of people in an organised fashion to publicise the club's plight, offer connections and support and generally up the profile of the town and the club.

The Put Something Back Club?

Similar happens in rugby league where big players like Kevin Sinfield, Barrie McDermott and Terry Flanagan support the town and the amateur clubs so that there remains a strong infrastructure and profile.

Fame/success/wealth are readily conflated but not always the same thing.  The town has a long history in theatre but that just means it gets a few people in the public eye. I don't suppose Paul Ritter (born in Gravesend) was especially wealthy on the back of a jobbing acting career just because he eventually struck lucky with a moderately successful sitcom.

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Fame/success/wealth are readily conflated but not always the same thing.  The town has a long history in theatre but that just means it gets a few people in the public eye. I don't suppose Paul Ritter (born in Gravesend) was especially wealthy on the back of a jobbing acting career just because he eventually struck lucky with a moderately successful sitcom.

Indeed. It's the profile rather than the wealth which is initially of interest.

9 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

Indeed. It's the profile rather than the wealth which is initially of interest.

I recall when we tried it with Eric Sykes - he quickly realised it was his money they really wanted!

53 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I recall when we tried it with Eric Sykes - he quickly realised it was his money they really wanted!

Yes, a very entertaining part of his autobiography.

I am, however, talking about profile, influence and publicity rather than major funding

9 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

I am, however, talking about profile, influence and publicity rather than major funding

Still convinced he's family.  Spitting image of my Dad and they grew up two streets apart... :)

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Still convinced he's family.  Spitting image of my Dad and they grew up two streets apart... :)

The first 100 pages or so are one of the best evocations of Oldham of that era. Unsentimental, realistic and affectionate.

16 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

We had high profile and publicity, but the owner managed to piss him off. 

4 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

They wouldn't. Maybe he could use some of the highly sensitive equipment available to him to detect someone with vastly more money than sense. There must be someone out of the billions and billions of people on earth. 

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

AL has more money than sense, its just he doesn't have a lot of money. 

Vastly was the operative word. 

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Why on earth (or any other planet)would he?  Just because a Latics fan is famous doesn't make them a natural owner

Read my message properly I said consortium not one owner. 

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Read my message properly I said consortium not one owner. 

No idea whether that's supposed to be tongue in cheek given it just sounds plain stroppy - but  the question was why on earth would he.  Just as valid.  Beats me why just because we've heard of someone we think they'd want to get involved any more than anybody else.

44 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

No idea whether that's supposed to be tongue in cheek given it just sounds plain stroppy - but  the question was why on earth would he.  Just as valid.  Beats me why just because we've heard of someone we think they'd want to get involved any more than anybody else.

No arguing with you, usually the opposite of what people post as though you enjoy that. I've blocked you as no point in responding any more.

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I'd guess it was stroppy !

Annoyed me yes when I made a fair suggestion.

If Wrexham fans can take the initiative like that why can't we?

Archived