MATCH: vs Exeter City (H) 23/03/21

4 hours ago, Emcee_Latic said:

Just listened to Curle's post match interview. No bullshit and talked a lot of sense. Be very happy to see him here next season. Might not be the most exciting football but I really think he could get us out of this God forsaken league.

He's the man who may just be the one tell Mo to fuck off and stop poking his nose in.

If the Muppets let him recruit the right players, I thing we have a chance.

I'm probably delusional, pissed or both!!

I agree he is a proper manager, but will he get or want time at Oldham?

Not sure if he is the one to tell Mo to keep his nose out.  You have to ask why Diarra and Tasdemir were brought on last night, in particular before Bobby Grant.  

It can’t be because Curle has seen them play well for him, because both have been a liability any time they have been on the pitch in the past 6 games!  It kind of looks like Mo gave his orders that they get game time.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two goals from identical corners and ...and this is the thing for me...no defenders on the posts. I do not understand why this is so much the norm nowadays. Match after match on the tv and the ball goes in where a player would have been in years gone by. 
Forgive the old man but I do not get it. 

6 hours ago, Emcee_Latic said:

Just listened to Curle's post match interview. No bullshit and talked a lot of sense. 

I like this part of him, no “bomber alley” or “area of most severity” bollocks just says it as it is.

Very quiet and unassuming but has that air of authority 

I like him 

8 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

A well worked set piece and a really smart and controlled finish by McCalmont gave us the lead to defend, but Curle's expectations for the team defensively were clearly drilled into them and it made sure that we were ready for the onslaught to and able to protect the lead (just).

That there was the result that Saturday's overall performance deserved rather than tonight's performance, but personally I'm much happier with the win tonight.

From what I heard, Curle spent large parts of the game screaming ‘shape!’ from the sidelines... Fage failed to hear him on that one occasion...

A bit of a false comparison in your second paragraph above - I think most would be happier with a win than a draw...

The performance from many individuals last night was way below what we saw on Saturday - and I was not happy about that 😮

Not read the whole of the replies on here so apologies again if it has already been mentioned. I saw lots of tweets last night saying how well we defended, but I'm not entirely convinced we did. We conceded 23 shots on our goal (similar to Scunthorpe, I think) and the only reason Exeter didn't stick 4 or 5 past us was a good display from Walker and very poor finishing. Piergianni and Jameson (especially on his weaker side) played very well individually, but Adams, Fage, Badan, Whelan, McCalmont and Hilssner offered us nothing defensively and Exeter got in time and time again. There was a strong argument for subbing Tasdemir when Luamba was coming on - he was abysmal again.

Would like to see some of the youngsters (Sutton, De Silva, Luamba, Hough) now given a decent run of games between now and the end of the season and early decisions made on whose contracts we are looking to renew...

7 hours ago, Emcee_Latic said:

Just listened to Curle's post match interview. No bullshit and talked a lot of sense. Be very happy to see him here next season. Might not be the most exciting football but I really think he could get us out of this God forsaken league.

He's the man who may just be the one tell Mo to fuck off and stop poking his nose in.

If the Muppets let him recruit the right players, I thing we have a chance.

I'm probably delusional, pissed or both!!

I'd say you're actually completely rational and full of common sense. If only we could say the same about our owners.

After that win I'm setting us a target of 64 points to finish the season on. Tough but it can be done.

57 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Two goals from identical corners and ...and this is the thing for me...no defenders on the posts. I do not understand why this is so much the norm nowadays. Match after match on the tv and the ball goes in where a player would have been in years gone by. 
Forgive the old man but I do not get it. 

I'm with you all the way on this. I constantly rant about no defenders on the posts at corners. OK, it gives you two more defenders in the box, but I still see it as a risk and as you say it's often punished.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Not read the whole of the replies on here so apologies again if it has already been mentioned. I saw lots of tweets last night saying how well we defended, but I'm not entirely convinced we did. We conceded 23 shots on our goal (similar to Scunthorpe, I think) and the only reason Exeter didn't stick 4 or 5 past us was a good display from Walker and very poor finishing. Piergianni and Jameson (especially on his weaker side) played very well individually, but Adams, Fage, Badan, Whelan, McCalmont and Hilssner offered us nothing defensively and Exeter got in time and time again. There was a strong argument for subbing Tasdemir when Luamba was coming on - he was abysmal again.

Would like to see some of the youngsters (Sutton, De Silva, Luamba, Hough) now given a decent run of games between now and the end of the season and early decisions made on whose contracts we are looking to renew...

For me Port Vale was an example of us getting away with bad defending due to their poor finishing.  Last night Exeter had four very good chances, one in the first half that Bowman scuffed/Jameson blocked, one where Collins' shot was saved onto the bar, the goal and the one where we got extremely lucky where Walker made two saves and they hit both posts in the space of five seconds.  But considering they had 23 shots and had us camped in for most of the 2nd half they didn't really create a lot, especially in the last 20 minutes.  Badan had a lapse in concentration in injury time which CBJ bailed him out of but other than that I thought the team were pretty disciplined defensively.

Definitely agree about giving the youngsters some playing time between now and the end of the season.  We've got a shape that we could fit them into and experienced players like Pidge and Adams who could help them through games, but we've also got first teamers who aren't playing well enough to guarantee their place.  We aren't going down or up so there wouldn't be as much pressure on them.  Luamba proved to be a lot more effective than Tasdemir in giving the defence an outlet last night.

22 minutes ago, League one forever said:

. . . and yet we won. 

1 defeat in 5. 

You still not prepared to give Curle a chance? 

Some people are determined to be miserable. There's enough misery at this club though, got to enjoy the wins when they come and indulge in hopeful speculation for the future. Even if you know in the back of your mind it will all come crashing down regardless of progress on the pitch. 

14 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Thought we had 10 men during Exeter's onslaught.

Actually, I think we only had nine, seeing as Badan and Tasdemir can't be regarded as genuine footballers.

As has been said, we got away with one last night and long may it continue. The one thing I find baffling is, when we needed someone up top to hold the ball and stop it coming straight back, why the hell did we leave Grant on the bench and put Tasdemir on? He hasn't offered a single thing in any of his appearances, yet I recall Kewell saying he'd wanted him for some time. I don't get it.

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

1 win in 5 too...

Of course. Depends whether you’re a miserable sod or not I suppose. 😉

That result was coming last night because the performances have been gradually more encouraging. It’s not champagne football, but the reality is that expansive free flowing play where you don’t concede many, needs technical players of much higher standard.  With the squad we’ve got and with so few leaders we’re competing and starting to look solid. Which is a big improvement. 

One other thing- 

Curle has had far more success with his style, than Kewell has with his ‘everyone concedes in league two’ style. 

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

A bit of a false comparison in your second paragraph above - I think most would be happier with a win than a draw...

Fair point, what I meant was that I preferred us to win last night rather than Saturday.  But that's simply because of family rivalry on my part!

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

. . . and yet we won. 

1 defeat in 5. 

You still not prepared to give Curle a chance? 

37 minutes ago, BJBlue said:

Some people are determined to be miserable. There's enough misery at this club though, got to enjoy the wins when they come and indulge in hopeful speculation for the future. Even if you know in the back of your mind it will all come crashing down regardless of progress on the pitch. 

Not being miserable I am glad we won, obviously.

Like I said before it’s not Curle that I don’t like. I’ve said if he was here for the long term I would be happy. It’s the fact he’s labelled as “interim head coach”, the polar opposite to our last manager, and not knowing what type of manager will be appointed for next season. 

Add that to the fact, we should have lost to Port Vale, we bottled it against Cambridge, we sat back and took a point against Scunthorpe, we did well but didn’t score against Bradford and we got lucky and won last night. It’s hard to really get excited at this appointment and admittedly I’m finding it difficult for these reasons. 

All good and well seeing improvement and a bit more structure, but great that will last 9 games. Im not excited about Curle and I can’t really be arsed to get behind him for him to leave soon. 

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Like I said before it’s not Curle that I don’t like. I’ve said if he was here for the long term I would be happy. It’s the fact he’s labelled as “interim head coach”, the polar opposite to our last manager, and not knowing what type of manager will be appointed for next season. 

Add that to the fact, we should have lost to Port Vale, we bottled it against Cambridge, we sat back and took a point against Scunthorpe, we did well but didn’t score against Bradford and we got lucky and won last night. It’s hard to really get excited at this appointment and admittedly I’m finding it difficult for these reasons. 

All good and well seeing improvement and a bit more structure, but great that will last 9 games. Im not excited about Curle and I can’t really be arsed to get behind him for him to leave soon. 

He can only work with what he's got.  He's not an alchemist.

I'll settle for hard fought scruffy wins over gung ho free flow kamikazi football........

Only one of those styles would see us get promotion.....

Some great matches won under HK but more abject, clueless and totally inept displays due to constant changing of the team and formations.

KC has already got the team playing a certain way, with players that aren't his, do you think he would want half of these jokers in the team if he had a choice, I dont.

Got to give him a go next season, no brainer for me........ but what do I know, only been watching us since 1976.

1 minute ago, LightDN123 said:

Fair enough.

It’s funny though, I see the interim title as a positive. Gives both sides a chance to see if they can work together from a relatively pressure free league position. If Curle finishes strongly, his stock will be high and the clowns might bend a little. 

2 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I'll settle for hard fought scruffy wins over gung ho free flow kamikazi football........

Only one of those styles would see us get promotion.....

Some great matches won under HK but more abject, clueless and totally inept displays due to constant changing of the team and formations.

KC has already got the team playing a certain way, with players that aren't his, do you think he would want half of these jokers in the team if he had a choice, I dont.

Got to give him a go next season, no brainer for me........ but what do I know, only been watching us since 1976.

Spot on. 

Curle has a promotion with his Style. 

Kewell has never had a side in the top half with his style - in 3 attempts. 

Says it all. 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fair enough.

It’s funny though, I see the interim title as a positive. Gives both sides a chance to see if they can work together from a relatively pressure free league position. If Curle finishes strongly, his stock will be high and the clowns might bend a little. 

I mean if he does well more than likely just go somewhere else. If he does badly, or even mediocre the supreme leaders will just give him the boot. 

Archived