• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do people actually dislike Richie Wellens I personally can't think of any reason too.   I see him as someone who was a great player for us a good ish coach who was let down badly by the regi

All managers get a free pass from me under this lot..   Wellens also had "peak" Abdallah to deal with, rather than the supposed watered-down (but destructive, never-the-less..) version we've

You mean except the club captain who was banished to the youth team and was only just reached a settlement a couple of weeks ago after we sold enough season tickets to pay him off.   The fir

Do people actually dislike Richie Wellens I personally can't think of any reason too.

I see him as someone who was a great player for us a good ish coach who was let down badly by the regime.

Infact if the regime fucked off in the summer and we started with a clean slate next season I wouldn't be adverse to give him another go at it under steady leadership.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 8
11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Do people actually dislike Richie Wellens I personally can't think of any reason too.

I see him as someone who was a great player for us a good ish coach who was let down badly by the regime.

Infact if the regime fucked off in the summer and we started with a clean slate next season I wouldn't be adverse to give him another go at it under steady leadership.

This is where I'm at, he has done much more positive than negative things for the club. 

3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

This is where I'm at, he has done much more positive than negative things for the club. 

Apart from getting us relegated. 

No doubt it was difficult, but his free pass status with some of our fans is staggering. 

Might as well call Kewell’s home record 
Unlucky while we’re at it. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, League one forever said:

No doubt it was difficult, but his free pass status with some of our fans is staggering. 

All managers get a free pass from me under this lot..

Wellens also had "peak" Abdallah to deal with, rather than the supposed watered-down (but destructive, never-the-less..) version we've got now..

• Like 4

I don't dispute we were relegated whilst he was coach. My point was there are more positives, relegation would have happened the year after even if we had managed to stay up that season. 

1 minute ago, disjointed said:

I don't dispute we were relegated whilst he was coach. My point was there are more positives, relegation would have happened the year after even if we had managed to stay up that season. 

What positives did he bring? 

The only one I can think of is the start he made. 6 unbeaten- which got him the job. After that he just went downhill.

I fully appreciate how difficult ALMO are to manage, and it certainly means we won’t go up under them. But they’re easy get out for every manager, it means they take no personal responsibility and that doesn’t sit right with me. 

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Wellens also had "peak" Abdallah to deal with, rather than the supposed watered-down (but destructive, never-the-less..) version we've got now..

So Kewell’s inability to take one point off the bottom half at home all season, is nothing to do with him?? 

1 minute ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

He made a huge error going to Salford, like here, he'd of been on a hiding to nothing and it was always destined to failure.

That’s a great point. I think he saw the backing, and saw an ‘easy’ promotion with his old mates. 

• Like 1
Just now, League one forever said:

That’s a great point. I think he saw the backing, and saw an ‘easy’ promotion with his old mates. 

But couldn't live up to their expectations regardless of that,

The next man will be exactly the same.

So Kewell’s inability to take one point off the bottom half at home all season, is nothing to do with him?? 

Meh, some managers have been worse than others - but they've all ultimately failed because of the hand they've been dealt.

54 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What positives did he bring? 

The only one I can think of is the start he made. 6 unbeaten- which got him the job. After that he just went downhill.

I fully appreciate how difficult ALMO are to manage, and it certainly means we won’t go up under them. But they’re easy get out for every manager, it means they take no personal responsibility and that doesn’t sit right with me. 

His playing days here, that is what the original point of liking or dis liking him. I was taking his time as a whole, not just his management. 

11 minutes ago, disjointed said:

His playing days here, that is what the original point of liking or dis liking him. I was taking his time as a whole, not just his management. 

Ah, fair enough. 

One of my favourite players, no question. 

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

But couldn't live up to their expectations regardless of that,

The next man will be exactly the same.

Or they might not. I've got no doubt they'll be a Championship club within 5 years if not sooner.

He was a great player and he had a lot of potential as a coach. But, he couldn't rally and motivate the players for a final push, and he didn't look especially bothered. Still, that was purely my impression. I don't deny he was utterly undermined by ALMO, but it still felt like he didn't care less at the end. I don't dislike him, i don't really rate him as a manager.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

He was a great player and he had a lot of potential as a coach. But, he couldn't rally and motivate the players for a final push, and he didn't look especially bothered. Still, that was purely my impression. I don't deny he was utterly undermined by ALMO, but it still felt like he didn't care less at the end. I don't dislike him, i don't really rate him as a manager.

He probably wasn't that bothered.  The Craig Davies interview highlights the atmosphere within the club at the time..

I was at Portsmouth away.  After the football we played that day, Wellens can have the job whenever he wants it as far as I'm concerned.

20 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Playing in front of 2 or 3 thousand....what is the point?

Could have said the same re Wigan and they managed nearly a decade at the top and an FA Cup win.  Where they are now isn't directly related to those days. 

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Maybe if wellens had stood up to him from day one, Abdullah might never has become what he became 

1 minute ago, latics22 said:

Maybe if wellens had stood up to him from day one, Abdullah might never has become what he became 

No he would have only lasted 31 days or so. 

28 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Yep, I bet he was just a run of the mill regular guy before he pitched up here. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Creative thinking, although even going with that logic - I believe it was Shez who was manager when AL first started making his presence felt around the club.  Shez named just three subs at Blackpool in protest.  AL carried on regardless.