Richie Wellens exit stage left.

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

So Wellens chose to pick some of ALMO's players ahead of his own signings?  We'll never know for certain if that was through force, influence or off his own back, but it seems strange to me, especially given the numerous accounts (particularly from Shez, Scholes and Wild) about the way the owners operate.

As I say we're not going to agree.  I don't hold Wellens responsible and I'd have him back as manager under competent owners. He went on to achieve a promotion with Swindon and win the EFL trophy with Salford, while we've dropped and settled a full division below where we were when the Lemsegams took over.

Although the EFL Trophy was just one match as it was last year's competition

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football must be the only business where we put the whole responsibility of the organisation on the shoulders of one middle manager.

Having said that Had the Lemsagams not spunked what must have been close to £1million in wages and fees on Menig, Omrani, Maouche, Moimbe, Nepo, and Placide (granted the latter 2 did alright) and just given that to John Sheridan in 2017 to spend he would have probably had us pushing for the top 10 in League 1 minimum I reckon.

27 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Although the EFL Trophy was just one match as it was last year's competition

It'll still go on his CV, after "got relegated with one of the best squads Latics have ever had, end of story", I reckon...

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It'll still go on his CV, after "got relegated with one of the best squads Latics have ever had, end of story", I reckon...

End of story. .😂

I was highlighting the point that his record can’t just be erased, because it was a tough gig. How many managers at how clubs have had it tough??  I didn’t hear Ryan Lowe complain when he got Bury promoted despite financial meltdown happening around him.

As you rightly point out, he’s a won a cup with Salford (albeit one game) and a promotion with Swindon and he gets credit for it. Why? Because he must of had an impact as the manager. But according to you his impact and failure doesn’t count at all with us.

Credit his success. 

Absolve him from his failures. 

It’s a nonsense. 

35 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I was highlighting the point that his record can’t just be erased, because it was a tough gig. How many managers at how clubs have had it tough??  I didn’t hear Ryan Lowe complain when he got Bury promoted despite financial meltdown happening around him.

That would be Ryan Lowe, who was given probably the biggest budget (albeit one they couldn't afford) in the league and probably allowed to get on with his job without interference?

It's not a tough gig here like it is at the other teams at our level. Financial insecurity is, unfortunately, normal. The owner and his unqualified brother picking the team, interfering in the changing room and pissing off the majority of their employees and sponsors isn't. 

30 minutes ago, JoeP said:

That would be Ryan Lowe, who was given probably the biggest budget (albeit one they couldn't afford) in the league and probably allowed to get on with his job without interference?

It's not a tough gig here like it is at the other teams at our level. Financial insecurity is, unfortunately, normal. The owner and his unqualified brother picking the team, interfering in the changing room and pissing off the majority of their employees and sponsors isn't. 

Ryan Lowe did have a big budget.

So did Wellens. 

Bury players didn’t get paid for moths, and ultimately not at all. 

Our ‘out of favour’ players got paid a few days after the favourites. 

Lowe galvanised his players in their crisis. 

Wellens bitched and moaned in our crisis and blamed everyone expect himself. 

When I mentioned other clubs, I didn’t just mean financials. I meant bat shit crazy owners, players arriving because the chairman likes him. Influencing managers. It’s not right, and shouldn’t happen. Directors that getting involved in things they should be nowhere near. But it’s not only us, it goes on all time. And it’s incumbent on any manager to deal with the situation and control what you can affect.

Lowe did a great Job in that regard. Wellens folded. 

31 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So did Wellens. 

When I mentioned other clubs, I didn’t just mean financials. I meant bat shit crazy owners, players arriving because the chairman likes him. Influencing managers. It’s not right, and shouldn’t happen. Directors that getting involved in things they should be nowhere near. But it’s not only us, it goes on all time. And it’s incumbent on any manager to deal with the situation and control what you can affect.

Lowe had his own players and was left to it (in fact I think the Chairman basically went awol, if I remember rightly?), everyone was in the same boat and that might be why they were easier to galvanise.

I don't buy that there's many other clubs with owners who run things in the same way as ours did (do?).  Too many ex-employees have spoken out about how out of the ordinary it is.

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Lowe had his own players and was left to it (in fact I think the Chairman basically went awol, if I remember rightly?), everyone was in the same boat and that might be why they were easier to galvanise.

I don't buy that there's many other clubs with owners who run things in the same way as ours did (do?).  Too many ex-employees have spoken out about how out of the ordinary it is.

I do think things have (marginally) improved - and I am firmly in the clown brothers out camp!

for example wasn't Adam’s at Bury? If things were still so bad here I doubt he would have entertained coming

11 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I do think things have (marginally) improved - and I am firmly in the clown brothers out camp!

for example wasn't Adam’s at Bury? If things were still so bad here I doubt he would have entertained coming

Where have things improved?

12 months ago we finished the season 19th in L2 where are we now 17th? Probably going to finish about there arent we that an improvement to you? Most of the same of the same problems still exist off the pitch.

Just because players have signed for us doesn't mean things are getting better.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Where have things improved?

12 months ago we finished the season 19th in L2 where are we now 17th? Probably going to finish about there arent we that an improvement to you? Most of the same of the same problems still exist off the pitch.

Just because players have signed for us doesn't mean things are getting better.

I meant in terms of conditions around the club for players and staff to be perhaps less toxic than previously- no one has fallen out with the chuckles for a while (to my knowledge)

not league position or fans 

2 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I meant in terms of conditions around the club for players and staff to be perhaps less toxic than previously- no one has fallen out with the chuckles for a while (to my knowledge)

I don't think it's as bad as it was, but I think Jordan Barnett had a dig after he went back to Notts County..

3 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

You mean except the club captain who was banished to the youth team and was only just reached a settlement a couple of weeks ago after we sold enough season tickets to pay him off.

The first team Head coach was recently sacked.

Oh and if you listened to BPAS this week we've lost 2 important sponsors.

Those things happened this month.

And we still haven't resolved resolved the issue with north stand. So no things are still as toxic as ever and no lessons are being learned.

8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You mean except the club captain who was banished to the youth team and was only just reached a settlement a couple of weeks ago after we sold enough season tickets to pay him off.

The first team Head coach was recently sacked.

Oh and if you listened to BPAS this week we've lost 2 important sponsors.

Those things happened this month.

And we still haven't resolved resolved the issue with north stand. So no things are still as toxic as ever and no lessons are being learned.

Wheater fell out with them a year ago I said recently FFS I’m not arguing with you 

I said players - probably not arsed about the North Stand if they get paid 

I haven’t listened to the podcast this week as I have been busy but I will  

i don’t necessarily see Kewell being sacked as negative - we weren’t going anywhere under him no matter how many 3-2 games we lost. I do think Curle till the end of the season as pointless is he then goes but I think it’s more his choice at the moment 

30 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Wheater fell out with them a year ago I said recently FFS I’m not arguing with you 

i don’t necessarily see Kewell being sacked as negative - we weren’t going anywhere under him no matter how many 3-2 games we lost. I do think Curle till the end of the season as pointless is he then goes but I think it’s more his choice at the moment 

Unless you can be arsed getting into a 22 reply conversation Chaddy, I’d leave balance in your posts for somewhere else mate. 

No positives can be mentioned. 

EVERYTHING IS SHIT. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

So did Wellens. 

Didn’t Lowe get relegated with Bury the same season as Wellens did with us? 

30 minutes ago, League one forever said:

They went down with us, not sure if Lowe was in charge. 

I seem to recall that Lowe did a stint as player/manager then went back to playing and then took the managers gig. At what point that coincided with us getting relegated I'm haven't got a clue. I bet Unsworth on here knows though. 

4 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I seem to recall that Lowe did a stint as player/manager then went back to playing and then took the managers gig. At what point that coincided with us getting relegated I'm haven't got a clue. I bet Unsworth on here knows though. 

Yeah that rings a bell, but didn’t he leave to play elsewhere, then come back as manager? 

He got the caretaker job in January, relegated in May. To be fair they were probably gone anyway when he took over. But 19 points in 19 games wasn’t setting the world alight. They kept him on and they went up next season. He left and took Plymouth up the season after. 

Wellens got 46 points from 36 games. Binned off. Took Swindon up a year later. 

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

He got the caretaker job in January, relegated in May. To be fair they were probably gone anyway when he took over. But 19 points in 19 games wasn’t setting the world alight. They kept him on and they went up next season. He left and took Plymouth up the season after. 

Wellens got 46 points from 36 games. Binned off. Took Swindon up a year later. 

So. . Rowe is the better manager? 😎

15 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Rowe fell out with Mo after the Mansfield game. Was sold a week later...

Archived