BPAS PODCAST: 29th Mar '21 Episode 28: Build Like Bees

With this season all but dead for Latics, our attention is firmly on the future. There's little chance of success on the pitch until there is stability off it. This week, Matt, Andy & Will discuss the importance of the fans in building that future, turning to the chair of Bees United, the Brentford supporters trust, to learn what they did. Bees fans were instrumental in building a new stadium and helping their team from Division 4 to the verge of the Premiership.

There are some links below that you might find useful after you have listened to this episode, which we hope will inspire you to want to do more for the future of your town and your club. 

Push Up Brentford documentary

Head of OMBC Sean Fielding Twitter 

Bees United Chair Stewart Purvis Twitter

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Learn more about The FSA by visiting https://thefsa.org.uk/

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.

What rings the strongest bell there for me in terms of supporters is what is said about Beesotted and their willingness to be outspoken but without really wishing to get involved.  Despite everything that has befallen our club over the last couple of decades I do think there has been a lot of fan noise but little action.  It's one of the reasons why I am reluctant to criticise the Trust because at least those people have stood up and put their heads over the parapet.  At various times there has been talk of a phoenix club (let's hope it doesn't come to that) but I have never heard of anyone who said they would be willing to do the very hard yards that would involve.

So, we've got to find them - those willing to do the hard yards - then, Dave.

In running our podcast, we are wanting to help our Trust by giving them a platform from which to build confidence and seek help, however the Trust do need to demonstrate they are focussing on the right things. Starting with;

- Telling us what their objective is & strategy to achieve it.

- A fan audit, what experts in Legal, Finance, Media & Communications, Management & running of businesses, already exist within our fanbase that could be of use to our Trust (an effective Trust).

- Networking with business people in the North West.

- Fundraising and setting up a Pledge, in the manner explained by Ashley Brown in a previous episode of BPAS, An interview with the FSA.

- Building relations & lobbying OMBC.

- Do we have fans with public sector experience of working in Parliamentary or Council roles that would be prepared to stand in local elections?

Like you, we admire every member of our Trust for volunteering and we acknowledge there exist some good skills amongst those folk, however we mustn't avoid being constructively critical where it is required.

3 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Thanks for replying @underdog, appreciate you doing so. We look forward to hearing more about the answers above when you guys come on the podcast next month.

we will be selecting the victims.sorry representatives at out next meeting hahah..

3 hours ago, underdog said:

Okay here is the worlds quickest snapshot as of today. My comments are in capitals, apologies if it looks like I am shouting....OOHPHS

Telling us what their objective is & strategy to achieve it. - COMPLETED LAST WEDS, 2 DIRECTORS WERE AWOL SO WE ALL HAVE UNTIL THIS WEEK TO FINALISE. READY FOR BOARD MEETING ON 7TH APIL AND ROLLOUT

- A fan audit, what experts in Legal, Finance, Media & Communications, Management & running of businesses, already exist within our fanbase that could be of use to our Trust (an effective Trust). - COMPLETED IT IS ON OUR WEBPAGE "BE A BLUE AND WHITE VOLUNTEER" AND PINNED ON OUR TWITTER PAGE TOO.

- Networking with business people in the North West - WE HAD AN INDEPENDANT MARKETING ANALYSIS DONE. WE HAVE TAKEN FEEDBACK ON BOARD. ONCE STRATEGY HAS BEEN APPROVED, WE ARE LOOKING AT A LAUNCH BUT IT NEEDS TO BE TOP NOTCH TO ATTRACT INTEREST. IT NEEDS MORE WORK

- Fundraising and setting up a Pledge, in the manner explained by Ashley Brown in a previous episode of BPAS, An interview with the FSA. - ALMOST COMPLETED. THERE ARE AT LEAST 15 I HAVE MANAGED TO FIND FROM JUST GIVING, GO FUND ME, CROWDFUNDING, GIVEY, VIRGIN. SOME HAVE JOINING FEES, CHARGE FEES, ETC. JUST NEED TO WORK OUT WHATS BEST FOR US. HEARTS WORKED OUT NOT TO PAY VAT, DCMS LAUNCH OWNERSHIP GRANT IN JUNE TOO. THERE IS A CHANCE WE COULD ACCESS A PRE-REQUISTION GRANT TO SEE IF INTERNAL ARE WE FIT AND READY FOR FAN OWNERSHIP/INVESTMENT. 

WE HAVE LAUNCHED EASYFUNDRASING, YOU CAN STILL BECOME A MEMBER FOR AS MUCH AS £1 PER MONTH, WE ARE LOOKING AT LAUCHING A LATICS LOTTERY WITH CLUBFORCE AND INVESTIGATING LEAVE A LATICS LEGACY. JASON AND PHILIPPA ARE WORKING ON THE BANK ACCOUNT RESEARCH.

- Building relations & lobbying OMBC. - COUNCILLOR SAM HAMANDI WORKS WITH THE FSA AND HAS HELPED THE TRUST AND IS HELPING THE TRUST WITH HURDLES WITH THE COUNCIL. WE HAVE ALREADY MET COUNCILLOR FIELDING WITH A PROPOSAL THAT WILL INCLUDE OLDHAM COLLEGE TOO. WE NEED TO FINALISE THE NUMBERS. WE HAVE UPDATED COUNCILLOR HANNAH ROBERTS WHO IS LOOKING INTO A SIMILAR SCHEME AND COPIED IN JIM MCMAHON TOO. LOCAL ELECTIONS ARE IN MAY SO WE MIGHT NOT GET ANY MOVEMENT UNTIL AFTER THIS

- Do we have fans with public sector experience of working in Parliamentary or Council roles that would be prepared to stand in local elections? - UNKNOWN.

THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH HOURS IN THE DAY TO DO ALL THIS STUFF ALONE AND WE DO APPRECIATE THE HANDFUL OF VOLUNTEERS WHO HAVE STEPPED UP ALREADY. OUR ACV RENEWAL VOLUNTEER AND OUR LOTTERY VOLUNTEER AS WELL AS INPUT FROM THOSE WHO WE HAVE IDENTIFIED ALREADY WITH SKILLS

THE STRATEGY IS THE START, IT LAYS THE FOUNDATION OF WHAT WE CAN DO TOGETHER TO BE READY FOR FAN INVESTMENT/OWNERSHIP THAT WILL ENSURE FOOTBALL IN THE BOROUGH OF OMBC. WE ARE ALMOST THERE, WE JUST NEED A COUPLE MORE WEEKS TO GET IT OVER THE LINE NOW AND HOW EACH AND EVERYONE OF US CAN BE INVOLVED.

cheers

Might be worth approaching sponsors that quit for expertise and funding ?

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

Used correctly, the podcast should be good for you.....

hmm...using a podcast to select victims?..that is interesting...hahah, but I know what you mean. TBA as I might be one of those victims..hahah harrrrrr (my best evil laugh there)

Archived