MATCH: vs Crawley Town (A) 05/04/21

2 hours ago, Mayfield said:

Is there a prize for highest scoring club?

Imagine if it was ground improvements, not just fixing fire doors but a complete new stand for instance.

"Congratulations Mr Lemsagam for providing such entertainment this season. Where would you like the stand to be built?"

That was how we won the Ford Stand Mayfield, come to think of it, the Main Stand is in serious need of replacement  

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

That was how we won the Ford Stand Mayfield, come to think of it, the Main Stand is in serious need of replacement  

It's an interesting part of our history.

The stand we won, then flattened, to be replaced some time later by a fancy modern stand which now cant be occupied.

You couldn't make it up eh?

I just had an image of AL having remarkable good fortune, which if nothing else threw a grenade into the madness of split ownership.

Similar good fortune as finding yourself with a manager with the pedigree to lead us out if this God awful 4th division nightmare.

Lord knows what chaos and scandal unfolds through the summer, just clinging to the hope that KC and the nucleus of today's starting 11 stays.

The odds on Dylan B and Conor Mac staying are slim, but I keep the faith.

12 hours ago, kowenicki said:

We’ve scored 59 goals, second highest in the league. 

We have now scored the most goals in the league from open play. 

Scoring hasn’t been the problem. 

Do we tend to score more goals when Bamboozler plays? I don't have the stats.

8 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

The old Ford stand was built when we won the ‘Ford Sporting League’. The competition was designed to reward goals scored and fair play on the pitch.

There was a monthly prize of £2,500 and an overall prize of £50,000. This was the season Latics, managed by Jimmy Frizzell, won promotion from the fourth division (the Latics of Fryatt, Shaw, Bebbington and Bryceland to name but four) scoring 88 goals which was second highest behind Notts County who won the division.

However - it was the disciplinary record that won it for us - it was incredible: 42 games. 4 booked. 0 sent off. 😮

In the end Latics won every monthly award and the overall prize money.(*)

Read more here here if you’re interested:

https://www.thefootballhistoryboys.com/2020/02/the-competition-that-paid-for-stand.html

(*) Estimated to be worth £1.1m in today’s money. 

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The old Ford stand was built when we won the ‘Ford Sporting League’. The competition was designed to reward goals scored and fair play on the pitch.

There was a monthly prize of £2,500 and an overall prize of £50,000. This was the season Latics, managed by Jimmy Frizzell, won promotion from the fourth division (the Latics of Fryatt, Shaw, Bebbington and Bryceland to name but four) scoring 88 goals which was second highest behind Notts County who won the division.

However - it was the disciplinary record that won it for us - it was incredible: 42 games. 4 booked. 0 sent off. 😮

In the end Latics won every monthly award and the overall prize money.(*)

Read more here here if you’re interested:

https://www.thefootballhistoryboys.com/2020/02/the-competition-that-paid-for-stand.html

(*) Estimated to be worth £1.1m in today’s money. 

Remember it well Bigdog, if my memory serves me correctly, Crewe were actually runners up every month as well. Would love those days back of free flowing, attacking football at BP, sometimes got turned over when least expected (Southport, Workington spring readily to mind) but that was the beauty of the Latics to an 8 year old Middy lad who adored them, still do but not in our current state off the field    

I thought that was the most dominant performance of the season, although that was partly down to Crawley pretty much letting us do what we wanted, definitely a team on the beach.

Hilßner and Adams came on and did well (Ntambwe and Garrity less so), but the starting XI all deserve to start on Friday with the way they played.

Colchester will have more riding on the game but it's a great opportunity to get back-to-back wins.  1 win in 24 is a stunningly bad record at this level!

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Hilßner and Adams came on and did well (Ntambwe and Garrity less so), but the starting XI all deserve to start on Friday with the way they played.

As you rightly say, we have to temper any praise for the team with the fact that Crawley looked a poor side and, apart from one or two attacks, did not cause us too many problems.

However it was as you say ‘our most dominant performance of the season’.  

Bringing in an emergency keeper in Walker has proved to be a very good decision. And in front of him the back three of Clarke/Piergianni/Jameson are playing well together. Piergianni has stepped up under the interim manager and is a towering influence at the back. Borthwick-Jackson did well and looks far more comfortable in a wing back role.

Someone (either on here or twitter) suggested that Bahamboula seems to be more effective when Fage starts behind him on the right. I tend to agree.

On Monday the four forward players comprised McCalmont, McAleny, Whelan and Keillor-Dunn. Of those only DKD looked off his game. But he did play that sublime through ball for Conor and he never hides even when not playing well.

Same starting eleven? If all are fit then yes. 

4 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I thought that was the most dominant performance of the season, although that was partly down to Crawley pretty much letting us do what we wanted, definitely a team on the beach.

Colchester will have more riding on the game but it's a great opportunity to get back-to-back wins.  1 win in 24 is a stunningly bad record at this level!

I actually had to double check that stat. I thought that cannot be right. Especially for a club like Colchester who don't really struggle too much. But wow. Might stick a tenner on us carrying on our record of ending runs! 

7 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

I actually had to double check that stat. I thought that cannot be right. Especially for a club like Colchester who don't really struggle too much. But wow. Might stick a tenner on us carrying on our record of ending runs! 

Knowing us we'll get beat by Colchester and then head over to the seaside and dine on high flying shrimps

3 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Massive word of caution on this one Chris, haven't beat Colchester at home for donkeys no matter how well we are doing/ how poorly they are doing. 

Colchester routinely turn up at BP with a plan, score in first minute or thereabouts and Latics can't break them down and they return home with 1-0 win. 

Last time they came I think was a riveting 3-3 draw (as was game at theirs this season) but last home win v Col U was 1-0 and Richard Butcher (RIP) scored the winner. 

Think Col U are certs to score at least as they haven't even scored an away goal in last 10 games!

9 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

4 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

I too had to check Colchester’s record and it’s a wow from me too...

P24 W1 D11 L12

and they have not scored in their last 10 away games.

What could possibly go wrong?

2 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Massive word of caution on this one Chris, haven't beat Colchester at home for donkeys no matter how well we are doing/ how poorly they are doing. 

Colchester routinely turn up at BP with a plan, score in first minute or thereabouts and Latics can't break them down and they return home with 1-0 win. 

Last time they came I think was a riveting 3-3 draw (as was game at theirs this season) but last home win v Col U was 1-0 and Richard Butcher (RIP) scored the winner. 

Think Col U are certs to score at least as they haven't even scored an away goal in last 10 games!

Thats what I'm betting on. I remember barnsley rocking up bottom of the league on a 9 game losing streak. We stopped that run by typically losing and they went on to promotion 😩. I was confident until I saw that stat. Now im leaning towards us being over confident after a good win against a team on the down, and them turning us over

4 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I too had to check Colchester’s record and it’s a wow from me too...

P24 W1 D11 L12

and they have not scored in their last 10 away games.

What could possibly go wrong?

Football hoodoo! :D 
Same line up, same commitment [if that's even possible] I'll go 3-1.
I know but it's a Friday and I have got next week off work.

4 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Looking at that line up and subs and suddenly our current lot look like superstars

We had the luxury of bringing on legends like Sefil and Vera from the bench.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived