BPAS PODCAST: 12th Apr '21 Episode 30: Beyond the Boundary

In the days before the internet, printed fanzines were the way that fans shared their independent views, jokes and stories with each other. Many of you will remember Beyond The Boundary and we caught up with it's creator Pete Mason @meatpasteand contributor Dave Ogden @Dave_Og for this week's episode.

Please help us do the work we do by visiting www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing and looking in our online shop. We'll be adding more products in the coming weeks and months and would be grateful if you purchased the odd one or two to show your support!

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast.

Learn more about The FSA by visiting https://thefsa.org.uk/

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.

A story I've probably recounted before but Barnsley away, season we got promoted, coach from the Black Horse on Manchester St. The erstwhile Mr Crompton had turned up in a donkey jacket with King Arthur Rules OK on the back in solidarity with the Yorkshire mining brothers and Arthur Scargill. He proceeded to sell fanzines in the away end unknowingly contravening section B subsection J clause 23 of Barnsleys ground regulations and was turfed out. Not one to be deterred he paid to go in the home end with said donkey jacket and wondered why people were giving him a wide berth on account of suspecting him being a nutter.

5 hours ago, Inspectormorose. said:

A story I've probably recounted before but Barnsley away, season we got promoted, coach from the Black Horse on Manchester St. The erstwhile Mr Crompton had turned up in a donkey jacket with King Arthur Rules OK on the back in solidarity with the Yorkshire mining brothers and Arthur Scargill. He proceeded to sell fanzines in the away end unknowingly contravening section B subsection J clause 23 of Barnsleys ground regulations and was turfed out. Not one to be deterred he paid to go in the home end with said donkey jacket and wondered why people were giving him a wide berth on account of suspecting him being a nutter.

I think this is what I was trying to get over in the interview about Latics fans having tons of stories. Harry got some mileage out of that incident 

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

Good listen. 

Funny how we build pictures of people we’ve never met. I don’t what I expected you to sound like Dave but it wasn’t that. 😁👍🏻

Find me the person who likes hearing their own voice... 😁 

Actually I do know a few people who really do like the sound of the their own voice😂

13 hours ago, League one forever said:

Good listen. 

Funny how we build pictures of people we’ve never met. I don’t what I expected you to sound like Dave but it wasn’t that. 😁👍🏻

Agree about the quality of the podcast.

i think that we all build an image of someone -  but for me it’s usually how they look based on how they sound.

Many years ago, as a Systems Account Manager, I used to look after a number of northern councils and local authorities. Given the long distances my usual interaction with my contact, pre video calls, was over the phone.

One in particular had the most beautiful tones and warmth to her voice and we got on famously. Eventually I organised a northern trip and stay over. By now I was infatuated with that ‘voice’ and we agreed to have dinner at my hotel....

It’s hard to say which of us was more disappointed when we saw each other for the first time... ah well...🙄

• Matt featured this topic
12 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

i think that we all build an image of someone -  but for me it’s usually how they look based on how they sound.

Many years ago, as a Systems Account Manager, I used to look after a number of northern councils and local authorities. Given the long distances my usual interaction with my contact, pre video calls, was over the phone.

One in particular had the most beautiful tones and warmth to her voice and we got on famously. Eventually I organised a northern trip and stay over. By now I was infatuated with that ‘voice’ and we agreed to have dinner at my hotel....

It’s hard to say which of us was more disappointed when we saw each other for the first time... ah well...🙄

Always go by the rule, fit on the phone, add ten stone 

20 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

But did you anyway? 😂 

On 4/13/2021 at 10:52 AM, TheBigDog said:

Hattie Jacques possessed a very alluring voice and played sultry temptresses on the radio.

An early appearance on TV closed that avenue.

Thanks again for the podcast Matt it was quite a nice change of tact aswell. You've had people on this podcast discussing the current affairs of the club and they have been a good listen but it was nice that we had people on reminiscing about happier times.

I expected Dave to sound abit more Northern but then I realised he's lived down in London for 30-40 years which has possibly softened his accent.:wink:

9 hours ago, Lukers1 said:

I loved BTB, the best cover was Andy Ritchie in shorts and a shoes with a fire work blowing out of his bum. 

It has to be the lads showing their arses on the town hall steps when we won promotion to the top flight. 

11 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Thanks again for the podcast Matt it was quite a nice change of tact aswell. You've had people on this podcast discussing the current affairs of the club and they have been a good listen but it was nice that we had people on reminiscing about happier times.

I expected Dave to sound abit more Northern but then I realised he's lived down in London for 30-40 years which has possibly softened his accent.:wink:

41.....I drink shandy now😳🍺

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived