Swindon Town FC cease communications with TrustSTFC

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Shez’s Swindon about to be put in administration?

Reading their board makes me sad but gives me equilibrium. 

So many clubs are struggling with a playboy owner, who has no interest in the academy/community/or welfare of the club. It shouldn’t surprise me- but in a strange it does. 

Why can’t owners enjoy the buzz sensibly? 

The best example of how I would run a club is Accrington. Be the best you can be, but accept and work within your limits. 

With everyone on board, you can be skint and do ok. 

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

So many clubs are struggling with a playboy owner, who has no interest in the academy/community/or welfare of the club. It shouldn’t surprise me- but in a strange it does. 

I wonder why this has become the norm in recent years, I don't remember hearing about this sort of thing happening so frequently in the 80's & 90's. What was the turning point that saw this influx of owners who don't seem to give a toss about the football club? 

1 hour ago, Barry Bosnian said:

I wonder why this has become the norm in recent years, I don't remember hearing about this sort of thing happening so frequently in the 80's & 90's. What was the turning point that saw this influx of owners who don't seem to give a toss about the football club? 

Bosman.  Mediocre lower leagues footballers earning stupid money. The premier league. 

Combination of the above meant your ‘normal’ local businessperson simply can’t fund it. It now attracts a lot of egomaniacs and... maniacs! 

59 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Bosman.  Mediocre lower leagues footballers earning stupid money. The premier league. 

Combination of the above meant your ‘normal’ local businessperson simply can’t fund it. It now attracts a lot of egomaniacs and... maniacs! 

When I read that Erling Haaland wants £30m a year salary to sign for his next club I feel ill ...🤒 

5 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Big ego's,no common sense.

29 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Big ego's,no common sense.

we know... but what’s attracted them?

....the beginning of the end was the Bosman. Great and probably just for footballers... but a disaster for the game and particularly lower league clubs.  

Ego if it all goes well they can  lord it about the town like local heroes and have statues erected whelan walker etc .when it goes wrong they can blame the players efl dastardly local councils etc and then sell off all that prime land for housing 

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Other than saving us those two times, he's not been great for a long time - and gets more miserable with each job he takes

To be fair, he kept Fleetwood up a couple of years back when they were struggling (might even have been the year we went down) and was doing well at Carlisle before he inexplicably jumped ship to Shezterfield. Had a torrid time there and at Wigan (lolz) and Swindon...

On 4/17/2021 at 10:40 AM, kowenicki said:

Definitely the Premier League. I think that's the biggest reason. Another reason is how easy it is to access people worldwide in the modern era. Pre-internet was different and club owners nearly always were exclusive to their own geographical area, even if they were Mr Moneybags such as Jack Walker. Once the PL established itself and the money was starved from other clubs, businessmen - many of them in it for their own ends - circle them like hungry vultures.

Archived