MATCH: vs Harrogate Town (A) 20/04/21

Their commentators, the main one in particular were hilarious and just as one eyed as captain obvious and field marshall heavy touch.

Commendable that in stoppage time the main man still believed that "Town can still get something out of this".

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

My jury is firmly with the Whelan camp. Sees the opportunities and tries the pass. Just needs a little more strengthening/timing in his passing leg and he can be as good as Shez.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...! 

• Matt featured this topic
9 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

My jury is firmly with the Whelan camp. Sees the opportunities and tries the pass. Just needs a little more strengthening/timing in his passing leg and he can be as good as Shez.

That's some statement!

I share some ‘bantz’ with a couple of mates in a WhatsApp group while watching Latics. Here is a progression of some of the comments as the game unfolded last night:

’what a bad ball by Clarke to Bam’

’Alfie you beauty’

’poor playing surface’

’Bam limping...’

’I don’t think we understand how to play on this pitch’

’have you ever been a coach Roy?’

’the Harrogate number 28 is playing well’

’poor pass again’

’Pidge!’

’ref!’

’stupid’

’if that had gone in...’

’Lederhosen?’’

’how did CBJ not score?’

’I don’t like John Helm’

’should have been two’

And that summed up the first half..The second was equally insightful...

’coolness personified by Bahamboula’  

‘dodgy keeper’

‘surely it’s past Vaughan’s bedtime?’

‘save!’

’at last a clean sheet!’

As match reports go I’d say that was pretty accurate 😉

So our goal of the season competition is going to be comfortably better than recent seasons and the two quality goals by McCalmont and Bahamboula probably won't even make the shortlist (sadly Blackwood's won't either but I liked the way he chased it down).

My question is:  was Bahamboula's goal better than Rowe's against Hampton earlier in the season?  Both were so coolly finished.

Guest Stanley30
38 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I share some ‘bantz’ with a couple of mates in a WhatsApp group while watching Latics. Here is a progression of some of the comments as the game unfolded last night:

’Alfie you beauty’

’poor playing surface’

’Bam limping...’

’poor pass again’

’Pidge!’

’ref!’

’stupid’

’if that had gone in...’

’Lederhosen?’’

’how did CBJ not score?’

’I don’t like John Helm’

’should have been two’

‘dodgy keeper’

‘save!’

’at last a clean sheet!’

Keep these going as better than some of the other match reports I've seen :)

10 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

Whelan could make a good player, he can see and execute a pass and with more and better coaching could step up. I always criticise his tackling because basically he can't, neither could I, neither could Paul Scholes but not many got past him, that's the difference. None of our midfield can tackle and that is what we are short of, we concede so many goals because our defence is not defended. The late great Brian Clough used to say to the likes of Larry Loyd and Kenny Burns, 'you win the ball and then pass it to a footballer like Martin O'Neil'. John Sheridan he will never be but I agree he could be a lot better and worth keeping.

7 minutes ago, Wee Bobby said:

Worcester Owl.  Man City conceded 100 goals in 1957 and finished 5th in Div 1. They scored 104 though. Pass of the match was Macalmonts cross field to Clarke when we scored our 2nd goal.

Amazing City stats, but were their goals against 10 worse than any other Div 1 side? Presumably not if they finished 5th. 204 goals in 42 games is incredible.

Only Leicester conceded more on 108.  City were leading scorers . Wolves won the league scoring 1 less than City. Latics could be the 1st team EVER to be top scorers and conceders in the same season in ALL football league seasons history.

I went to Bert Listers wake when he passed away. I was invited by his sister and was held at the eitihad. I sat with a couple of ex City players from the the 50s and one of them mentioned that season. He said they played two games one week and won 8-4 and then lost the next 7-2.

30 minutes ago, Wee Bobby said:

Only Leicester conceded more on 108.  City were leading scorers . Wolves won the league scoring 1 less than City. Latics could be the 1st team EVER to be top scorers and conceders in the same season in ALL football league seasons history.

I went to Bert Listers wake when he passed away. I was invited by his sister and was held at the eitihad. I sat with a couple of ex City players from the the 50s and one of them mentioned that season. He said they played two games one week and won 8-4 and then lost the next 7-2.

Latics are decent at getting daft bounce results....Christmas Day 1935 we beat Tranmere 4-1 at home, lost 13-4 the day after!!!

I recall November 1972 we defeated Plymouth 7-1 at BP and following league game lost 2-6 at Grimsby

The "good old days" 

1 hour ago, Wee Bobby said:

Bosh. What about Rowes goal v Exeter away from 40 yards.

Oh I agree that there are plenty of other goals and that Rowe free kick is a personal favourite.  I was comparing two goals which were very similar.

When I saw Rowe's goal against Hampton I thought that was a special goal because I can't remember us having a player with the composure and skill to score a goal like that.  Now we have Bahamboula scoring a such a similar type of goal in the same season!

Over the season we haven't have a great team which is why we're in the bottom half, but some of the individual brilliance has been great to watch.

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Amazing City stats, but were their goals against 10 worse than any other Div 1 side? Presumably not if they finished 5th. 204 goals in 42 games is incredible.

Think that was the days of the  Revie plan when I once saw the great Bert Trautmann concede 7 goals, none were his fault.

7 hours ago, C.O.JONES said:

Whelan could make a good player, he can see and execute a pass and with more and better coaching could step up. I always criticise his tackling because basically he can't, neither could I, neither could Paul Scholes but not many got past him, that's the difference. None of our midfield can tackle and that is what we are short of, we concede so many goals because our defence is not defended. The late great Brian Clough used to say to the likes of Larry Loyd and Kenny Burns, 'you win the ball and then pass it to a footballer like Martin O'Neil'. John Sheridan he will never be but I agree he could be a lot better and worth keeping.

Although he hasn’t been brilliant. He has shown glimpses of being a player. He is one of very few players that I would be ok with giving another season to see if a decent run in the side brings him on. Lots to learn from DKD in that respect, he looked gash early doors but Kewell stuck with him and his goal return has been great. 

Whelan was again good last night after an excellent performance at Morecambe. My criticism of him early season was that his passing was constantly backwards or sideways, real premiership coaching but uninspiring. He is now very good at firstly making himself available (not hiding) and it seems his first thought is to go forward. Impressive turnaround and Curle seems to like him. If he could tackle and shoot he’d be quite a player! Needs to add goals to his game to continue his progress.

• Bender unfeatured this topic
On 4/21/2021 at 8:51 AM, TheBigDog said:

’Alfie you beauty’

’poor playing surface’

’Bam limping...’

’poor pass again’

’Pidge!’

’ref!’

’stupid’

’if that had gone in...’

’Lederhosen?’’

’how did CBJ not score?’

’I don’t like John Helm’

’should have been two’

‘dodgy keeper’

‘save!’

’at last a clean sheet!’

We also have one. The main bit of it is a lad who says he has no interest in the games anymore but then watches all 90 minutes of the action and comments on it every two minutes. Unfortunately, I fell asleep on Tuesday and missed most of the game...

On 4/21/2021 at 9:22 AM, the_mighty_bosh said:

So our goal of the season competition is going to be comfortably better than recent seasons and the two quality goals by McCalmont and Bahamboula probably won't even make the shortlist (sadly Blackwood's won't either but I liked the way he chased it down).

My question is:  was Bahamboula's goal better than Rowe's against Hampton earlier in the season?  Both were so coolly finished.

I thought Bahamboula's was  goal of match based purely on the excellent crossfield ball by Mcalmont to Harry Clarke.. 

Archived