European Super League

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It’s hilarious. The backlash from other clubs and associations will be fun to watch. A league of international PSFs with players barred from playing internationals and probably some other crippling restrictions on those clubs. I’m loving the meltdown. 

It'll never happen. Would like to think the "big 6" (laughable claim in itself) have burnt their bridges with the Premier League etc, but of course it will all be brushed under the carpet and it will be like this whole charade never happened in 2 months time...

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

It'll never happen. Would like to think the "big 6" (laughable claim in itself) have burnt their bridges with the Premier League etc, but of course it will all be brushed under the carpet and it will be like this whole charade never happened in 2 months time...

I thought this, but the responses from the respective clubs this morning seems that they have grouped together and sticking by it. 

It has been coming for some years now, first the prem, then the champions league, changes to youth and academy systems, big cubs getting first dibs on young talent and the way the money filters down to pyramid. The big clubs feel threatened when the likes of Leicester gate crash the party, they want a monopoly.

Sadly, they will be the initial uproar, similar to when the Glaizers  took over at United, with most fans vowing to never go back and even setting up FC Utd, but in the end they all crept back. Football is tribal, even though your team you support might be crap, to jump ship and support another team is unthinkable, but in the case of this super league, once the PR machine moves into overdrive and the games will at first will be cheap to watch, then the masses will flock to watch. The new european league will then become a world league.

The days when the likes of Oldham and Wimbledon making it to the top table will be long gone.

If the "big 6" get there way, it will just be a licence for them to play a 2nd string side in the domestic league and concentrate on the European league. Its greed and nothing else, too full of their own self importance, its a game of football ffs. 

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

If the "big 6" get there way, it will just be a licence for them to play a 2nd string side in the domestic league and concentrate on the European league. Its greed and nothing else, too full of their own self importance, its a game of football ffs. 

Surely they won't be allowed to play in the domestic league. Let them go and we can have a more competitive and exciting top division. 

58 minutes ago, hillside blue said:

It has been coming for some years now, first the prem, then the champions league, changes to youth and academy systems, big cubs getting first dibs on young talent and the way the money filters down to pyramid. The big clubs feel threatened when the likes of Leicester gate crash the party, they want a monopoly.

Sadly, they will be the initial uproar, similar to when the Glaizers  took over at United, with most fans vowing to never go back and even setting up FC Utd, but in the end they all crept back. Football is tribal, even though your team you support might be crap, to jump ship and support another team is unthinkable, but in the case of this super league, once the PR machine moves into overdrive and the games will at first will be cheap to watch, then the masses will flock to watch. The new european league will then become a world league.

The days when the likes of Oldham and Wimbledon making it to the top table will be long gone.

The Premier League was formed 30 years ago and has seen little structural change since and needs to change to expand its worldwide audience

Burnley v Sheffield United just doesn't attract anywhere near the same advertising and tv audiences that a PL Big6 v a European Giant Club would do 

You'll get a few 'football purists' threatening to boycott the games but come on, how many of the Big6 supporters will be boycotting games v Barca, Juve. Real Madrid or one of the Milan Clubs

UEFA are primarily to blame for me, only recently announcing to extend their own Champions League format by adding more teams to the competition that most football fans just don't want to watch

Cracked me up, the conscience of English Football, Gary Neville splashed all over tv yesterday crying about how disgusted he was and that the Big6 should be relegated. The very same Gary Neville who recently said that Managers should be given more time, then sacks Richie Wellens. The very same Gary Neville who has some Indonesian Billionaire pumping £millions into his own club Salford City FC.

Anyone else reckon Sky Sport haven't got the tv contract for the proposed new competition

The FA cant even provide adequate pitches for grassroots football so fingers crossed this will be a massive wake up call to improve English Football and also give the hopeless EFL a kick up the arse to improve the lower league format, cos Carlisle to Exeter on a Wednesday night just doesn't cut it 

We are run by Dinosaurs and whilst I personally dislike the ethics of the Big6, at least they are trying to cut down their financial debt by making their offering more attractive to a wider audience

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I’d tend to agree. 

However, there comes a time where football needs to toughen and say NO to the big clubs blackmailing tactics. Maybe call their bluff this time, but it would be an action with serious financial self harm consequences too I think. 

43 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm so naive that I think Mourinho's sacking this morning must be because as a former Champions' League winning manager with Porto  he must have taken the moral high ground.... 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mourinho said “this stinks” and they sacked him. for all of his faults, he does seem to me to be the kind of bloke that would not like this one bit. 

5 minutes ago, tGWB said:

The Premier League was formed 30 years ago and has seen little structural change since and needs to change to expand its worldwide audience

Burnley v Sheffield United just doesn't attract anywhere near the same advertising and tv audiences that a PL Big6 v a European Giant Club would do 

You'll get a few 'football purists' threatening to boycott the games but come on, how many of the Big6 supporters will be boycotting games v Barca, Juve. Real Madrid or one of the Milan Clubs

UEFA are primarily to blame for me, only recently announcing to extend their own Champions League format by adding more teams to the competition that most football fans just don't want to watch

Cracked me up, the conscience of English Football, Gary Neville splashed all over tv yesterday crying about how disgusted he was and that the Big6 should be relegated. The very same Gary Neville who recently said that Managers should be given more time, then sacks Richie Wellens. The very same Gary Neville who has some Indonesian Billionaire pumping £millions into his own club Salford City FC.

Anyone else reckon Sky Sport haven't got the tv contract for the proposed new competition

The FA cant even provide adequate pitches for grassroots football so fingers crossed this will be a massive wake up call to improve English Football and also give the hopeless EFL a kick up the arse to improve the lower league format, cos

Carlisle to Exeter on a Wednesday night just doesn't cut it 

We are run by Dinosaurs and whilst I personally dislike the ethics of the Big6, at least they are trying to cut down their financial debt by making their offering more attractive to a wider audience

Of course sky don’t and won’t have the TV contract. The TV rights will sit with the clubs and their own TV channel(s).  

How many times do our clubs beat the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona in the Champions League?  Once every few years?

Be good to see United at the bottom of a table even if they can't get relegated

But yeah - it's an absolutely abhorrent idea and I wouldn't be paying to fly to to Europe twenty odd games a season plus ticket prices.  

It will be millionaires and prima donna's that go to this sham - the game of the working class does not exist anymore and hasn't for a long time.

Where do the likes of arsenal  and Tottenham and united  think they will finish in this super league they haven’t troubled the Man City Chelsea monopoly  on the premier league for years it’s about money  and nothing else Man City. Big club no way rich club yes  Ajax  4 times winners of European cup  Nottingham forest twice  Aston Villa once.  Celtic far bigger club fan wise world wide than city Tottenham and arsenal and past. Winners and finalist  big 6 my arse big heads more like 

17 minutes ago, tGWB said:

The FA cant even provide adequate pitches for grassroots football so fingers crossed this will be a massive wake up call to improve English Football and also give the hopeless EFL a kick up the arse to improve the lower league format, cos Carlisle to Exeter on a Wednesday night just doesn't cut it 

Attractive to who, how many away fans will be at these matches? The ESL TVrights will be restricted to their own club channels and hired out to Sky, BT and any other takers for profit.

They are in for a massive shock as general interest in this league will be way below expectations.

Serves them right if they all went bust.

23 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Attractive to who, how many away fans will be at these matches? The ESL TVrights will be restricted to their own club channels and hired out to Sky, BT and any other takers for profit.

They are in for a massive shock as general interest in this league will be way below expectations.

They are relying on the Asian markets and corporate hospitality, not fans in the traditional sense 

28 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Not to mention home attendances will plummet. It’s a mid week competition and the fans of these clubs who are most likely to boycott it are the ones who turn up every week.

The thing will fail if fans, broadcasters and journalists treat this competition with the same level of credence as they do with those preseason tournaments the likes of Man Utd, Barca, Inter play in America and Japan. Nobody reports on them, nobody cares about them. If everyone who is against this idea across Europe refuses to acknowledge the competition, and expel those clubs from their domestic leagues then it will be much worse for these so called big 15. They might have success viewership wise in the states and in other international territories but they still won’t compete with the combined might of European club football.

Asian resident fans are fickle. I was in Singapore and the taxi driver said he’d stopped supporting Man U as they kept losing... and now supported Liverpool. 

I blame Jean-Marc Bosman and Jimmy Hill for all of this!  😁

Player power and wages. The race for income is purely down to this. 

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

youre way off on this BP

these Clubs will already have paid $millions in market research to test the potential of such a competition and JP Morgan have allegedly come up with nearly $5 billion to fund it 

Interest Worldwide will be massive 

Archived