European Super League

1 hour ago, Matt said:

One problem being what will the competition look like? Who is going to buy PPV's for PSG vs Schalke who are at the bottom of the ESL and 15 points adrift? The competition can't be in a format we're accustomed to, it has to change to appeal. US market has no comprehension of relegation, I assume now it's something to do with budgeting for the next season - easier to project when you're never going to leave the elite league. So it worth considering how this will play out, how long before the likes of Tottenham or Arsenal or Athletico get cut adrift because they can't maintain their PPV quota?

I admit this could happen, but I don't think it will.  The people running these clubs (more below) want to win for the vanity, sure. But more important is the money, power and prestige that come with it. The US has better/worse teams but all of them get a shake of the stick now and again. They are OK with that because even the lowest of the low "make money" (more on that below).  Kronke at Arsenal knows all about how this model can make him money hand over fist whilst the companies/clubs flail. Yet now and again they will get a win and all is forgiven for another 20 years of neglect. It's the hope that kills you! 

44 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Its a quick fix for rank bad and reckless management.  Simple as that.  They'd still be back in the same place soon enough though, because their vanity businesses are badly run and spending is not under control.

I don't disagree these clubs need something, or that they are in a fucking state.  But we have to remember the clubs are not doing this, their owners are. And even the worst most debt ridden clubs you listed don't have owners losing money. Look at United (for all we may want to hate them - for very good reasons) and what the Glazers did. The people owning that club made money on their money. They're living billionaire lifestyles no matter what comes of United.

This move is just another elongation of that, they don't give two fucks deep down - they just want to prolong the ride another generation or two. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Burnley crying about this now, "Football is bigger than all of us and it's future can't be compromised by self-interest"... they weren't too concerned last year when EFL clubs were dying & Sean Dyche was on TV banging on about "Successful Hedge Fund Managers don't give money to the unsuccessful ones". Now they are piping up since they are the 'unsuccessful' ones and at risk of losing money. Bloody hypocrites.

It's easy to forget in amongst all this clamour and noise that deep down Sean Dyche is a fucking cunt. Just keep that in mind.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Burnley crying about this now, "Football is bigger than all of us and it's future can't be compromised by self-interest"... they weren't too concerned last year when EFL clubs were dying & Sean Dyche was on TV banging on about "Successful Hedge Fund Managers don't give money to the unsuccessful ones". Now they are piping up since they are the 'unsuccessful' ones and at risk of losing money. Bloody hypocrites.

Sean Dyche is a prick of the highest order and always has been

14 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

5 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Sean Dyche is a prick of the highest order and always has been

6 minutes ago, Ackey said:

It's easy to forget in amongst all this clamour and noise that deep down Sean Dyche is a fucking cunt. Just keep that in mind.

Let's not lose site of who the real villains of the piste are here and its not Sean Dyche and Burnley

Fortunately this guy is here to save football and if ever the younger generation needed a guy to speak on their behalf then surely it is this 74 year old property Billionaire

Hero

19 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Let's not forget that the vast majority of us would happily turn hypocritical if a billionaire turned up to fund Latics

19 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Let's not forget that the vast majority of us would happily turn hypocritical if a billionaire turned up to fund Latics

Just watched that nobber Alan Shearer banging on about the greedy people at the top of football..

Jesus wept.  Zero self awareness. 

That parasite is taking hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money for having a brief chat with some mates on a Saturday night about a handful of football matches. The man that went to one of the clubs that started the cycle for a record feed and salary and then to another club for a then record fee.  Its all on him, his old colleagues and the clubs willing to thrown the cash at them. Greedy.

15 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Football has a massive base/deep roots based on legacy. This is why it's so popular, on a global basis. Amercican sports have limited appeal. They have superficial roots. Big in America. Limited elsewhere. Football is the opposite. It's built on legacy. What's proposed is an American model. It is based on concentrating wealth at the top and the rest can fuck off. Legacy fans - American disrespect/insult. They should be banned from football. 

I still think it's a power grab. But, despite everything, most people who watch United are actually from Greater Manchester. Most Liverpool fans are from Merseyside. Their clubs are basically pissing them off, as they have for a long time. They are the ones who need to wake up. These clubs are interested in China, India etc. Owned by Americans, they don't give a shit about local fans. 

I've said it many times. The contemporary model for football is immoral. It's all about business. It should be all about football, players, the community of fans. It is a game that belongs to the people, not the businessman. Too many people accept this. Where has it got us? Yes, we can debate spreadsheets and what's in companies house. But that's all bollocks. 

These proposals will kill football. However, i still think it's a power grab. They should be told to fuck off. Ban them from everything. Do it now. West Ham or Leicester can win the PL. Let them be incestuous. Reminds me of Packer. That went well...

The Packer comparison is not a good one and in fact his revolution didn't fail. Before him top cricketers were pretty badly paid, not least in comparison with other sports. He brought in life changing rewards and other innovations such as coloured kits and the white ball. He then made peace with the cricket authorities. 

In contrast, today's millionaire elite footballers will have a choice. They can earn a fortune in the ESL while (hopefully, if they are that stupid) being banned from domestic and international football. Or they can earn slightly less money by carrying on as now and have the supreme honour of playing for their country. A genuine choice, whereas for the top cricketers of the day Packer was the only sensible choice.

24 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Just watched that nobber Alan Shearer banging on about the greedy people at the top of football..

That parasite is taking hundreds of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money for having a brief chat with some mates on a Saturday night about a handful of football matches. The man that went to one of the clubs that started the cycle for a record feed and salary and then to another club for a then record fee.  Its all on him, his old colleagues and the clubs willing to thrown the cash at them. Greedy.

No, not greedy at all. Getting the market rate.  Perfectly fair to have go at how the market has been created and developed but that's not his fault.  He was also quite good.

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

No, not greedy at all. Getting the market rate.  Perfectly fair to have go at how the market has been created and developed but that's not his fault.  He was also quite good.

Opinions.  I think he's a hypocritical parasite... along with Lineker.  

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Whereas I just think he's a bloke who's been offered a big wodge of moolah for doing something which is qualified to do.  Haven't watched MOTD in years TBH

8 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Like most people in their position, they don't have a grasp on the real world financially due to their extortionate wage slips. That aside I don't mind them voicing an opinion, whether or not I agree with it.

45 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Not sure why you've singled out Shearer.  I would have thought that every single ex-playing pundit that talks about the premier league on tv/radio would be classed as a "parasite" by your definition.  They all also accepted the salaries they were offered for the jobs they were doing.  Also a bit strange to slag off his decision to go to Newcastle over Man Utd, which should put him slightly higher on the moral ladder than most!

34 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Not sure why you've singled out Shearer.  I would have thought that every single ex-playing pundit that talks about the premier league on tv/radio would be classed as a "parasite" by your definition.  They all also accepted the salaries they were offered for the jobs they were doing.  Also a bit strange to slag off his decision to go to Newcastle over Man Utd, which should put him slightly higher on the moral ladder than most!

Their are people who like to find a way to blame everything on the BBC.

"Young people say the game is too long," he said. "If young people don't watch an entire game it is because it is not interesting enough, or we will have to shorten the games."

They also want to play around with the rules.

I tried to watch the City vs Chelsea semi final on Saturday. If that is what can be expected from this league they will soon go bust. It was very, very boring. As have the recent England games, all sideways and backward passing. Lets face it, most of the games would be like pre season friendly's and would be utter tripe to watch. Granted American's seem to get excited about utter tripe in all their sports, but a hell of a lot don't give two hoots about Soccer. They much prefer their version of football, even though it's ruled by TV commercials, telling them when to take a break and the referee waiting to be told when they can restart a game.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

No, not greedy at all. Getting the market rate....He was also quite good.

I agree, there are some that are clearly blagging a wage, or inflating their quality to get a payday - and there are those that are (or were in his case) really good at their job.

I don’t blame anyone for taking the money in any walk of life, we all would all do the same in their position. Plus it denigrates what they’ve done to be a position to be offered that money. If it was easy, we’d all be doing it. 

What does rev my engine is sky repacking a game of football with cheerleaders/ fireworks and funky graphics to try and make us believe the actual game is more entertaining by making it a product. I can honestly say I enjoyed top level football pre sky as much I do now. The football now is different but not any better than it was 30 years ago IMO. 

Sky was and is a con that we all fell for.  The game comes second to the product, and in many ways we are reaping what we sow. If society had collectively turned its back on sky and it had no market we wouldn’t be in this mess. 

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t blame anyone for taking the money in any walk of life, we all would all do the same in their position. Plus it denigrates what they’ve done to be a position to be offered that money. If it was easy, we’d all be doing it. 

What does rev my engine is sky repacking a game of football with cheerleaders/ fireworks and funky graphics to try and make us believe the actual game is more entertaining by making it a product. I can honestly say I enjoyed top level football pre sky as much I do now. The football now is different but not any better than it was 30 years ago IMO. 

Sky was and is a con that we all fell for.  The game comes second to the product, and in many ways we are reaping what we sow. If society had collectively turned its back on sky and it had no market we wouldn’t be in this mess. 

If it wasn't for Sky there'd be probably still be only one game a week on TV and we'd still be standing in crumbling stadiums...

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

Only 2 sides plus the gutter above The Rochdale Rd stand.

True though to Eyres point I think outside dare I say “the big 6” and those that have afforded new grounds, most leave a lot to be desired despite Sky Money.

I was surprised how drab Elland Road looked last night and they were one of the biggest clubs in the country then you look at the likes of Palace, Burnley and they’re a bit grim 

Archived