European Super League

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The collective backlash to the ESL from supporters of every football club is a thing of beauty, truly magical, dispelling forever the thinking that supporters cannot make a difference 

The day is ours ⚽

25 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

These clubs have significantly weakened their position in future  negotiations.  

It has backfired really badly. 

Absolutely. Terrible call from them. They’ve been steadily increasing their own status through bribing lower league teams and turning the screw here and there over the years. Presumably thought they could do what they wanted. No subtlety here though. Hopefully people will be more wary of their motives going forward. 

1 minute ago, ShireBlue said:

I hope some of the fans of these clubs remember this, and reevaluate what they want from a football club. 

We are talking about Manchester United here, you have seen how some of their fans demand success. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

We are talking about Manchester United here, you have seen how some of their fans demand success. 

The United supporters club were and are as opposed to the ESL as the rest of us.

There is a golden opportunity here for the Government and football authorities to press on and reform club ownership, but will they take it? 50+1 has to be the objective. Time to get these parasite owners out of the game.

2 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Dock them all 60 points next season, see how they like it at the wrong end of the table. Seriously though, they can’t go unpunished for this. 

I agree with this, irrespective of how serious the comment was. At least 20 points. They have all effectively brought the game into disrepute with no regard for any other club.

20 points and a ban from European competition for four years.

I hope UEFA now uses this position of strength, to format the champions league properly. Back to when it was the champions of the European domestic league's only took part. With the exception of 3 places awarded to the previous champions league winners, the UEFA cup winners and the winners of  the European cup winners cup. 2nd to 5th of those leagues qualify for the UEFA cup and the fa cup winners go into the cup winners cup. League cup winners qualify for UEFA or cup winners cup. I know this won't happen. But I can imagine that they may show some common sense. 

6 minutes ago, Canada_latic said:

I hope UEFA now uses this position of strength, to format the champions league properly. Back to when it was the champions of the European domestic league's only took part. With the exception of 3 places awarded to the previous champions league winners, the UEFA cup winners and the winners of  the European cup winners cup. 2nd to 5th of those leagues qualify for the UEFA cup and the fa cup winners go into the cup winners cup. League cup winners qualify for UEFA or cup winners cup. I know this won't happen. But I can imagine that they may show some common sense. 

They’ve already done it. It was announced on Monday and will remain in place until 2034.

It’s awful.

32 teams in the ‘Champions’ league. 

10 hours ago, tGWB said:

The collective backlash to the ESL from supporters of every football club is a thing of beauty, truly magical, dispelling forever the thinking that supporters cannot make a difference 

The day is ours ⚽

If only we (people and the collective media) could do the same when it comes to things like, oh I don't know - maybe the health secretary bunging his mates and his sister millions of our pounds?

8 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

20 points and a ban from European competition for four years.

Not a fucking chance. The only reason UEFA gave a fuck in the first place was the that they lost access to the cash-cows. There's not a chance anyone will be banned from Europe or be given enough of a points deduction to stop them getting there.

This is the same as what people were saying yesterday - this isn't revolution, it's evolution. There's no winners here, just lesser evils.  

8 hours ago, Canada_latic said:

I hope UEFA now uses this position of strength, to format the champions league properly. 

Again, I don't think we should be happy about any of this. FIFA and UEFA are corrupt shithouses of people just as self-serving and malicious as any of the ESL clubs and their plans. If anyone thinks that Aleksander Čeferin or Gianni Infantino are the good guys here then they need their head checking. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

If only we (people and the collective media) could do the same when it comes to things like, oh I don't know - maybe the health secretary bunging his mates and his sister millions of our pounds?

God no. That's not as important as this shit. /s

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Well it helps when you have people in the media who will divert the attention away from stuff like this. Look brown people are coming after you!

9 hours ago, kowenicki said:

They’ve already done it. It was announced on Monday and will remain in place until 2034.

It’s awful.

32 teams in the ‘Champions’ league. 

We already have 32 teams in the CL, and the UEFA reforms will make matters worse by increasing it to 36.

Modern football at the international level - World Cup, Euros, CL - is far too bloated. In a sane world we would revert to 16 (ok maybe 24) for the WC, 16 for the Euros and champions only for the CL. That ship has sailed though. The corrupt leadership of Havelange and his successors bought the votes of FAs outside Europe and South America by promising extra World Cup places to developing nations, hence the current shambles, which will worsen when we get 48 teams competing.

Back on the greedy 6 or 12, John Barnes was very good on the BBC this morning. The status quo has been restored and there is nothing on offer for L1/L2 clubs. Unless somehow the likes of Fenway, the Glazers, Abramovich etc can be turfed out of the domestic game the vaunted pyramid will continue to be semi-detached. I'd love to see 50+1 brought in but I don't see a way of doing it.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

or even 'supposed custodians' of lower league football clubs who are slowly strangling them to death maybe 

58 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I'd love to see 50+1 brought in but I don't see a way of doing it.

Should have been done in 1992 - so we only have ourselves to blame as I don't recall us lobbying for anything of the sort at the time

21 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Should have been done in 1992 - so we only have ourselves to blame as I don't recall us lobbying for anything of the sort at the time

Didn’t we vote against the forming of a Premier League but a two thirds majority won the day?

Archived