Cecere Hat-Trick -vs- Blackburn 1987?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/22/2021 at 2:13 AM, unsworth blue said:

Mike Cecere was going out with Rita Fairclough's foster child at the time, she used to stand in the Main Stand Paddock. 

A great hat trick that day v Blackburn, never really did anything else

And chuck some chairs at a few peope...allegedly

On 4/22/2021 at 2:13 AM, unsworth blue said:

Mike Cecere was going out with Rita Fairclough's foster child at the time, she used to stand in the Main Stand Paddock. 

A great hat trick that day v Blackburn, never really did anything else

Double post

9 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

Yes he did it was handed in by a an honest and upright fan.. 

My then sister in law was as honest as the day is long; if she had grabbed it, she would have wore it to bed that night and probably would have been far from upright...

#obsessed

On 4/21/2021 at 5:13 PM, unsworth blue said:

A great hat trick that day v Blackburn, never really did anything else other than score v Leeds in that play off semi-final which nearly sparked the biggest riot BP had ever seen - sadly Keith Edwards equalised and the rest is history  

I seem to remember he played well in the play off home game against Leeds.

57 minutes ago, andy_b_100 said:

He made strong runs ....... that about sums him up but he had a couple of really good games and backed them up with some stinkers where he spent most of his time falling over from innocuous challenges.  

...and the threat of any physical contact

Let's be honest...he was pretty shite! 52 appearances and 8 goals...3 of which came 45 mins  v Rovers!! Pretty sure he left for Huddersfield shortly after and was just as bad there. Think Big Joe knew he was sub standard.

Remember his goal though against Leeds in the play off semi...and the Edwards equaliser about 30 seconds after! That certainly ranked up there as one of the most gut wrenching feelings as a Latics supporter over 40 years, with the Hughes equaliser in the last minute at Wembley, and failing to win at Northampton a couple of years ago....or maybe that was just pure anger rather than disappointment!

Anyway those were the days eh! Latics challenging for promotion to the top division, days we will never see again 😔

22 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

For reasons that escape me he was often referred to as Mike 'the hamster' Cecere in OASIS newsletters of the day.  Any ideas?

Arched his back a lot and ran himself in circles.

Actually, he did arch his back quite often. Usually to duck under the ball. Someone must have pushed him when he scored with the header in the play off semi.

1 hour ago, L1onheartNew said:

Arched his back a lot and ran himself in circles.

Actually, he did arch his back quite often. Usually to duck under the ball. Someone must have pushed him when he scored with the header in the play off semi.

He actually out battled  Neil Aspin to send a perfect header passed Mervyn Day..

On 4/27/2021 at 12:15 PM, underdog said:

I can probably name more of this lot than our current squad - what a blast from the past. Cheers

When is the last time we had a squad photo? when Corney was still here?

Can you name all the front row for me.

On 4/27/2021 at 3:51 PM, Dave_Og said:

Mervyn is a member of my golf club.  I'll remind him next time I see him

He always had a blinder against us. Very good goalkeeper. Lost his early promise, but i thought he was brilliant for Leeds.

Archived