Was it really 30 Years ago since Latics got promoted to the top Division (1)?

Found an old tape recording of Latics 1990/91 promotion season including interviews with big Joe, Ian Stott and the players 

Including some interviews with supporters at the Civic centre (one of Oldham's finest days!!!) and also with three elderly fans - one aged 91 who had started going in 1914. 

Priceless memories transporting me back to a time when everything at Latics was fantastic - the Junior Latics, the playing squad, the manager and it mentioning that crowds had quadrupled over the last 4 seasons and now more Oldham shirts in the town than Manchester United and Manchester City. 

30 years ago next Tuesday that we got promoted at Ipswich Town - my best day following Latics - don't expect there will be much fanfare from the club in celebration.

Would be wonderful if someone Latics could turn things round and start back on the road to the top, I never expected to see it in my lifetime but would love other more recent fans to experience something so wonderful one day 

Have a contact to transfer cassette onto CD for me so can listen in the car sometime when feeling blue (always blue so will never be off) 

2 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

@unsworth blueI can convert that VHS into a digital file and upload it onto t'internet & include any missing footage in here: 

This was a cassette Lookers 

Was looking at converting my old VHS tapes to DVDs and retailing at a low value (if any interest) to contribute to a fighting fund for Latics   

1 minute ago, unsworth blue said:

This was a cassette Lookers 

Was looking at converting my old VHS tapes to DVDs and retailing at a low value (if any interest) to contribute to a fighting fund for Latics   

Have a look in the footage index and see if you've got anything that's missing..... would be best to start there I reckon.....?

34 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Found an old tape recording of Latics 1990/91 promotion season including interviews with big Joe, Ian Stott and the players 

Including some interviews with supporters at the Civic centre (one of Oldham's finest days!!!) and also with three elderly fans - one aged 91 who had started going in 1914. 

Priceless memories transporting me back to a time when everything at Latics was fantastic - the Junior Latics, the playing squad, the manager and it mentioning that crowds had quadrupled over the last 4 seasons and now more Oldham shirts in the town than Manchester United and Manchester City. 

30 years ago next Tuesday that we got promoted at Ipswich Town - my best day following Latics - don't expect there will be much fanfare from the club in celebration.

Would be wonderful if someone Latics could turn things round and start back on the road to the top, I never expected to see it in my lifetime but would love other more recent fans to experience something so wonderful one day 

Have a contact to transfer cassette onto CD for me so can listen in the car sometime when feeling blue (always blue so will never be off) 

Sky showed classic games the other day. And it was the 4-3 against Southampton. . . My other half said why do your eyes look glassy?? 

and I said- oh i must have grit in it. . 👀

I’d love even half of what we had to come back one day. 

19 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Have a look in the footage index and see if you've got anything that's missing..... would be best to start there I reckon.....?

It is Piccadilly radio recording of interviews with players, some of  commentary from Wednesday game & some of Civic reception

Got the Wednesday match converted onto CD 

11 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

It is Piccadilly radio recording of interviews with players, some of  commentary from Wednesday game & some of Civic reception

Got the Wednesday match converted onto CD 

We had an OASIS dinner that summer attended by Neil Adams and his wife.  I'll swear some of the cheers when we played snippets of commentary were as loud as they were in the grounds!

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

We had an OASIS dinner that summer attended by Neil Adams and his wife.  I'll swear some of the cheers when we played snippets of commentary were as loud as they were in the grounds!

Would be lovely to have a dinner commemorating the 30th anniversary - maybe in the OEC - but won't hold my breath with this lot to make it happen     

I remember Marshy's header at Portman Road - if there hadn't been netting it would have hit me right in the mush. What a fantastic day, at the end of two unbelievable seasons. One of the few advantages of being the age I am is having been present during those momentous games. We were always going to struggle to stay in the top flight, but if you'd have told me then how low we'd sink (in more ways than just league status), I wouldn't have believed you.

49 minutes ago, Billy_of_Lees said:

I remember Marshy's header at Portman Road - if there hadn't been netting it would have hit me right in the mush. What a fantastic day, at the end of two unbelievable seasons. One of the few advantages of being the age I am is having been present during those momentous games. We were always going to struggle to stay in the top flight, but if you'd have told me then how low we'd sink (in more ways than just league status), I wouldn't have believed you.

Latics fans were situated in the corner. When I arrived they had taped off a small area for us. Keeping us well away from the Ipswich fans. They soon had to remove the tape as far more turned up than they expected. I was living and working in Harrow at the time. The train back to London had quite a few Latics fans on it celebrating near the bar.

That was my first and only visit to Portman Road. We were living in Herts (Sawbridgeworth) at the time, and I persuaded my wife to drive me up there so she could have an afternoon shopping (😟) while I went to the match.

As I recall it was a brilliantly sunny day, like today, unless that's the nostalgia kicking in. Even though we were so good that season, somehow I hardly dared to believe we were finally going to do it. 

I've had a soft spot for Portman Rd ever since.

6 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

That was my first and only visit to Portman Road. We were living in Herts (Sawbridgeworth) at the time, and I persuaded my wife to drive me up there so she could have an afternoon shopping (😟) while I went to the match.

As I recall it was a brilliantly sunny day, like today, unless that's the nostalgia kicking in. Even though we were so good that season, somehow I hardly dared to believe we were finally going to do it. 

You are correct. It was a nice sunny day and Portman Rd. is a nice stadium. 

28 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

When did you leave Sawbo? I was in Stortford for 20 years until November 

Just now, Dave_Og said:

When did you leave Sawbo? I was in Stortford for 20 years until November 

We lived there 1987-1991. I then got made redundant from my job in the City which is how we ended up in the magnificent county of Worcestershire.

Sawbo was a cracking place back then, 8 or was it 10 pubs in such a small place, a really easy pub crawl. Went downhill when the Beckhams moved in down the road 😁

42 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

We lived there 1987-1991. I then got made redundant from my job in the City which is how we ended up in the magnificent county of Worcestershire.

Sawbo was a cracking place back then, 8 or was it 10 pubs in such a small place, a really easy pub crawl. Went downhill when the Beckhams moved in down the road 😁

😂. I moved up there in 91. 

13 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

45 years ago today WBA got promoted at BP

Bloody hell Metty, that was the largest away support I can ever recall at Boundary Park, the official crowd was about 22500 but i reckon there was substantially more than that, Latics had the Chaddy End, some seats and I suspect not much more 

Actually wanted WBA to win to cock Bolton up 

On 4/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, al_bro said:

Latics fans were situated in the corner. When I arrived they had taped off a small area for us. Keeping us well away from the Ipswich fans. They soon had to remove the tape as far more turned up than they expected. I  Thanks was living and working in Harrow at the time. The train back to London had quite a few Latics fans on it celebrating near the bar.

Gunnar ended the match sporting a Terry Butcher headband I seem to recall.

On 4/22/2021 at 3:38 PM, Dave_Og said:

I won the quiz that night Dave - still got the signed football and photo with Neil Adams.

12 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Bloody hell Metty, that was the largest away support I can ever recall at Boundary Park, the official crowd was about 22500 but i reckon there was substantially more than that, Latics had the Chaddy End, some seats and I suspect not much more 

Actually wanted WBA to win to cock Bolton up 

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

45 years ago today WBA got promoted at BP

Even though we lost WBA fans were raving about the brilliant Alan Groves.

One match I didn't mind us losing as it was great to see their fans celebrating, something which we had the privilege of doing in the early 90s.

Archived