Stick or twist?

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I think "dark age" football is what we need in this division. 

Getting really shit footballers to try and play it out from the back, for example, isn't going to get us anywhere..

Is this abit of a myth that players at this level can't play it out from the back? abit like teams at this level can't play a false 9 despite the fact we have played one all season and have finished second top scorers in the league. 

I think its just a case of getting better defenders who can play it out from the back (and can defend better too) and you will see a significant improvement alright we will still concede goals we will probably give goals away from playing it out from the back. But a better back 4, goalkeeper, plus a ball winning midfielder infront of them shielding them would probably have seen this team push alot higher up the table.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Is this abit of a myth that players at this level can't play it out from the back? abit like teams at this level can't play a false 9 despite the fact we have played one all season and have finished second top scorers in the league. 

I think its just a case of getting better defenders who can play it out from the back (and can defend better too) and you will see a significant improvement alright we will still concede goals we will probably give goals away from playing it out from the back. But a better back 4, goalkeeper, plus a ball winning midfielder infront of them shielding them would probably have seen this team push alot higher up the table.

Obviously there's a chance it might work with better players (not that I can see us signing any), but even at the top level you see avoidable goals conceded by trying to pass it out.  I don't get why you'd risk it?

The standard of some of our games this season - not only by ourselves, but the opposition too -  have been laughable.  Given we've struggled to get some basics right (controlling, passing, clearing our lines..) I'd leave the fancy stuff well alone.

7 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Obviously there's a chance it might work with better players (not that I can see us signing any), but even at the top level you see avoidable goals conceded by trying to pass it out.  I don't get why you'd risk it?

The standard of some of our games this season - not only by ourselves, but the opposition too -  have been laughable.  Given we've struggled to get some basics right (controlling, passing, clearing our lines..) I'd leave the fancy stuff well alone.

The aim of it is to try and make the game more expansive and get to teams come out of their defensive shape. Weve seen it time and time again teams come to Boundary Park down the years and sit in 2 banks of 4 and stifle the game. You need to get them out of that by inviting them on and playing it out from the back then you can open up the game.

Yes it has and does lead to avoidable goals being conceded you are right. But if you do it right often enough the rewards will outweigh the risk.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

HK- ‘Everyone concedes goals’ sounds really sports sciensy. 

You understand what sports science is L1F? Not really about scoring goals, more about getting players fit and keeping them that way. More about the best way to do things using research and statistics.  

I guess “everyone concedes goals” is true. Unfortunately we have been the best at it!

The problems start when a pass goes slightly astray and then, instead of playing a "safe" pass, the recipient carries on trying to play out from the back putting the receiver of his pass into further trouble and so on.

If your players are sufficiently skillful to beat the press it's a great way of drawing the opposition on whilst retaining possession but at our level the secret is when to abandon the mantra and just play it long. Unfortunately our team doesn't include a target man so invariably he opposition gain possession when we're forced into this.

As the saying goes "know when to hold them, know when to fold them".

13 minutes ago, Pidge said:

You understand what sports science is L1F? Not really about scoring goals, more about getting players fit and keeping them that way. 

And HK did great at that with

Dearnley

McAleney

Lawlor

CBJ

Blackwood

Barnes

Jamieson

Badan

28 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Dearnley

McAleney

Lawlor

CBJ

Blackwood

Barnes

Jamieson

Badan

Agreed, and in the dark days Latics had a squad of 18 players many playing over 60 matches.

So much tech these days the simple game has gone to pot.

Blind them with science comes to mind.

What good have the plethora of clipboard coaches, analysts, fitness guru's and a trendy sporting director done for the club this season?

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

You understand what sports science is L1F? Not really about scoring goals, more about getting players fit and keeping them that way. More about the best way to do things using research and statistics.  

I guess “everyone concedes goals” is true. Unfortunately we have been the best at it!

😂

Do you understand the parallel you’re trying to make? 

Harry I’ve achieved nothing in my first 3 jobs I like to play weird formations, over rotate, and have a complete disregard for any form of defending, oh, but I’m modern because I have sports scientist Kewell. 

against 

Keith I have a promotion under my belt, I’m keen on team shape and keeping a settled side if I can, unfortunately I don’t have sports scientist because I am from the dark ages’ but my outdated methods seem to work at nearly every club I’ve been at, so I’ll stick with it Curle

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂

Harry I’ve achieved nothing in my first 3 jobs I like to play weird formations, over rotate, and have a complete disregard for any form of defending, oh, but I’m modern because I have sports scientist Kewell. 

against 

Keith I have a promotion under my belt, I’m keen on team shape and keeping a settled side if I can, unfortunately I don’t have sports scientist because I am from the dark ages’ but my outdated methods seem to work at nearly every club I’ve been at, so I’ll stick with it Curle

The other laughable part is that under the clubs “contact us” page we still have a sports scientist - Ross Mizen....

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

Well said,

Far better sides struggle with this concept, it doesn't work here and the panic when they get closed down has lead to many a stray pass and helped towards the worse goals against in the division 

3 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Dearnley

McAleney

Lawlor

CBJ

Blackwood

Barnes

Jamieson

Badan

Lawlor had a freak injury, McAleney played a lot of games this season so should not be on your list. Blackwood came with a rare injury.

CBJ, Jamieson Dearnley came with a history of previous susceptibility, and in a season where for the most part there were 2 competitive matches a week, the list of injuries and games over the season missed is actually short. 

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

Lawlor had a freak injury, McAleney played a lot of games this season so should not be on your list. Blackwood came with a rare injury.

CBJ, Jamieson Dearnley came with a history of previous susceptibility, and in a season where for the most part there were 2 competitive matches a week, the list of injuries and games over the season missed is actually short. 

Yeah and Curle still has a sports scientist 👍 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

😂

against 

I am not making the parallel you suggest,  I am posting in “stick or twist” ie keep KC or not.  We’re you aware of the information I have posted?  For me it worries me that KC may over ride the medical teams recommendations. Over a full season that may cost us in players being unfit or unavailable.

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Does he listen to him?

No idea - do you know what he reads on the bog?

the fact is sports scientist or not we have had had injuries all season like any other and no more under Curle than the Australian mastermind

You are talking shite as you were with the “3 stewards leaving” conspiracy disaster 

where all 3 pose for photos are thanked by the club and given a send off both on the webpage and at the game 

2 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

No idea - do you know what he reads on the bog?

the fact is sports scientist or not we have had had injuries all season like any other and no more under Curle than the Australian mastermind

You are talking shite as you were with the “3 stewards leaving” conspiracy disaster 

where all 3 pose for photos are thanked by the club and given a send off both on the webpage and at the game 

How was I taking shite? 

As for your first line, you show your self up there.

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

How was I taking shite? 

As for your first line, you show your self up there.

You asked me a question to which I could not possibly know the answer as I am neither on the coaching nor medical staff 

I asked you a similarly pathetic one 

as for how you was talking shite you made how three Stewards stepping down was part of the “everyone hates the club” mantra when no one else leaving under a cloud get web articles send offs and actually pose for photos smiling for joy

There is ample genuine shit to throw at this club it really doesn’t require folk making it up but whatever floats your boat 

I’m off to watch Songs of Praise have a lovely evening 

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I am not making the parallel you suggest,  I am posting in “stick or twist” ie keep KC or not.  We’re you aware of the information I have posted?  For me it worries me that KC may over ride the medical teams recommendations. Over a full season that may cost us in players being unfit or unavailable.

Why are you talking about HK then? and then comparing what happened under him as opposed to Curle? 

Reads like a parallel to me. Which means you’re Inferring we were more professional under HK than we are under Curle. 

I am prepared to trust any ‘dark age’ method Curle likes, because he’s got a record that suggests he knows what he’s doing. Despite what you have us believe about your ‘rumour’ that ‘apparently’ ‘he just make things up’ 

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

You asked me a question to which I could not possibly know the answer as I am neither on the coaching nor medical staff 

I asked you a similarly pathetic one 

as for how you was talking shite you made how three Stewards stepping down was part of the “everyone hates the club” mantra when no one else leaving under a cloud get web articles send offs and actually pose for photos smiling for joy

There is ample genuine shit to throw at this club it really doesn’t require folk making it up but whatever floats your boat 

I’m off to watch Songs of Praise have a lovely evening 

Are they filming at barthomewel church again? 

That’s always my favourite. 

1 hour ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Well said,

Far better sides struggle with this concept, it doesn't work here and the panic when they get closed down has lead to many a stray pass and helped towards the worse goals against in the division 

It's what I've noticed, we struggle when closed down and rush passes which the opposition invariably pick up to our cost.

3 hours ago, Oldham82 said:

The retained list should be out today, hopefully curle has told most they wont be back july 1st for pre season training. 

Although when he said they would need earplugs next season it suggests most will.

3 hours ago, Oldham82 said:

The retained list should be out today, hopefully curle has told most they wont be back july 1st for pre season training. 

I think the retained list will tell us a lot where we are. heading. I'd imagine it's possible there might be a delay whilst the resolve the manager's contract, so that it at least looks like he has input, if he isn't going to get much.

Archived