Stick or twist?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stick. He's the best manager we've had in a a while (not saying much I know) and we need as much stability as we can get. I'm under no illusions about his longevity in the job. If they give him a 12 month contract I would be amazed if he made it 6 months through. Even if we are doing well something will likely happen off the pitch and he'll be gone. We can't affect what the owners do in that regard, we have to just support their good choices like Curle looks to be and protest their many bad ones. 

It's not stick or twist though is it. It seems to be KC's decision to make. He will want total control of recruitment and no interference. He will have spoken to ex managers, but will make his own mind up. If ALMO start to interfere like they did with Scholes, which I don't think they can resist, he will be off. I hope they have come to the conclusion that what they have been doing hasn't worked and a change of tack is needed.

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Can't help but think he'll have to start with a blank canvas once again this summer mind you

I dunno. We have 11 contracted so far. You can only really see McAleny and Bambam attracting any interest - so that leaves 9+. Not saying they're all great mind! :chubb:

3 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

That’s due the majority of players he has to deal with. He’s probably giving Garrity, Hilsner and the like the chance to play for their futures elsewhere.

KC said in his interview that players would be showcasing their talent.

Garrity must really enjoy the Blackpool 2s

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

I dunno. We have 11 contracted so far. You can only really see McAleny and Bambam attracting any interest - so that leaves 9+. Not saying they're all great mind! :chubb:

Hope so. None of them are particularly brilliant but I'd be happy to keep the majority of these players as squad players at the very least, so long as we can add some quality along side them (big ask, tbf). Hanging on to the aforementioned two would be massive. 

This is such a poor division, get a well balanced squad and a decent coach and you've got a chance. As Morecambe,  Cheltenham and Cambridge amongst others have shown this season 

Edit: also I'm not gonna judge him on an end of season dead rubber against a side still with a slim chance of staying up. He's shown enough to suggest he can get a tune out of these players 

6 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Hope so. None of them are particularly brilliant but I'd be happy to keep the majority of these players as squad players at the very least, so long as we can add some quality along side them (big ask, tbf). Hanging on to the aforementioned two would be massive. 

This is such a poor division, get a well balanced squad and a decent coach and you've got a chance. As Morecambe,  Cheltenham and Cambridge amongst others have shown this season 

Edit: also I'm not gonna judge him on an end of season dead rubber against a side still with a slim chance of staying up. He's shown enough to suggest he can get a tune out of these players 

I think his stay will inevitably come down to whether he gets any say on players. If he doesn’t (as is likely) I’m starting to think he’ll walk away. 

I think its less on how much of a say Curle has on the recruitment more on if the players brought in are good enough and fit the style of play the manager wants to play.

If the sporting director/Director of Football is astute and has a coherent plan I reckon most Managers will happily delegate that task to them. Ours clearly doesn't and looking at the players having their contracts renewed no lesson's are being learned.

48 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I used to love Curly, Larry and Mo as a kid - very funny.

Now we've got Curly Al and Mo - not so funny, but equally based on farce.

I get the analogy with the owners but including Curle is tenuous at best.

I may be wrong but I trust him to build a promotion challenging team.......if given the chance !

18 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I'd stick defo with Curle and give him a chance next season.

However if the inevitable happens, then I'd be happy to take Cooper who did a great job at FG Rovers and has just been sacked

Yeah, I’d be happy with Cooper if it’s not Curle. 

Just someone who has a decent track record or bit of pedigree for doing well in the division. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, I’d be happy with Cooper if it’s not Curle. 

Just someone who has a decent track record or bit of pedigree for doing well in the division. 

If Curle doesn’t stay then it’s the final confirmation that the fuck wit twins will not change and we could have Jose Mourinho with Alex Ferguson as assistant and it would make fuck all difference

For me, this is the litmus test - Curle won’t be a lap dog so if he stays it suggests they have listened if not - we are in for the same 

10 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I get the analogy with the owners but including Curle is tenuous at best.

I may be wrong but I trust him to build a promotion challenging team.......if given the chance !

Any manager who accepts the job must also accept he'd be part of a comedic triple act. So, not really tenuous. Of course, they might change and give him the control he needs....

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

If Curle doesn’t stay then it’s the final confirmation that the fuck wit twins will not change and we could have Jose Mourinho with Alex Ferguson as assistant and it would make fuck all difference

For me, this is the litmus test - Curle won’t be a lap dog so if he stays it suggests they have listened if not - we are in for the same 

I’d be surprised if they had told Curle he’ll get no say on transfers, should he stay in the summer- otherwise I genuinely don’t think he would of come. 

BUT. It’s a very grey area. 

I’d imagine they’ve said they’ll listen to his opinion, or he can have an input.
Which in reality means nothing.  Curle isn’t stupid, he knows our track record and think having worked with Mo there’s a high chance he’ll leave. ALMO will then claim ‘they’ve done everything they can to keep him’ 

4 hours ago, Londonboy said:

I'd stick defo with Curle and give him a chance next season.

However if the inevitable happens, then I'd be happy to take Cooper who did a great job at FG Rovers and has just been sacked

I believe we could do worse than Cooper, although it stuck in my head that the Not The Top 20 season preview said that Forest Green had a top 3 squad but the season would hinge on whether they'd sack Cooper and bring in a better manager.  With their run of form before he was sacked they had a point.

10 minutes ago, tGWB said:

I like this fella 

Keith Curle
“If you came to Oldham, wether if it was a Saturday or a Tuesday, you knew that everything you got you earned. Thats not here at the minute”

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/19260497.oldham-boss-keith-curle-need-new-blood-squad/

Who could he have in mind.... It's certainly a slap in the face for whoever decided on recent contract extensions

“Having a contract for next season doesn’t guarantee you playing,” the Latics boss said.

Archived