Stick or twist?

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Who could he have in mind.... It's certainly a slap in the face for whoever decided on recent contract extensions

“Having a contract for next season doesn’t guarantee you playing,” the Latics boss said.

Maybe am a bit old fashioned Dave but I do like the Manager picking the team

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Certainly like the way he speaks. Would rather he won a few more games but we can't have it all...

Surely he can only be judged if what he is looking for - players that he wants that fit his way - are recruited and allowed to play.

7 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Maybe am a bit old fashioned Dave but I do like the Manager picking the team

Me too, and certainly no problem with him giving a slap to whoever (I think we know) has been handing out contract extensions.  The fact they have been given out and it appears not to have been his decision doesn't exactly build confidence though!

32 minutes ago, tGWB said:

I like this fella 

Keith Curle
“If you came to Oldham, whether if it was a Saturday or a Tuesday, you knew that everything you got you earned. Thats not here at the minute”

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/19260497.oldham-boss-keith-curle-need-new-blood-squad/

The interview also contains this snippet:

’Keith Curle believes his current crop of players lacks the qualities needed to bring the good times back to Latics.’

Whether his assessment is true or not, I think he should be keeping  such comments to himself until after the final game. Not exactly going to motivate his players is it? 

Probably goes some way to explaining the lack of effort against Grimsby.

I’m not sure I like this fella... shades of Jose.

I think that he may think he can do a job at the moment if he can bring in the players he wants, but when they tell him the playing budget he has to work with he'll realise he probably cant. Unless there's a surge in season ticket sales and the Chief Exec can stop pissing sponsors off and find some new ones in the process, there won't be enough in the pot to tempt him to stay and give it a go. That's without taking in the handicap of working with these owners.

10 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

’Keith Curle believes his current crop of players lacks the qualities needed to bring the good times back to Latics.’

Whether his assessment is true or not, I think he should be keeping  such comments to himself until after the final game. Not exactly going to motivate his players is it? 

Who cares at this stage of the season.  He's perfectly welcome to piss off players he doesn't rate for my money.

32 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Who cares at this stage of the season.  He's perfectly welcome to piss off players he doesn't rate for my money.

I care if he writes off the players and then picks them on the Saturday - time to bring in the kids...

30 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

tbh BigDog I think its more likely explained by two bang average teams meeting at the end of a season with one mathematically safe and the other fighting for their survival in the football league 

We have a good few players who simply arent good enough

28 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I care if he writes off the players and then picks them on the Saturday - time to bring in the kids...

I have a few option on Saturday. Watching that game doesn't feature in the top 20.

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

I think that he may think he can do a job at the moment if he can bring in the players he wants, but when they tell him the playing budget he has to work with he'll realise he probably cant. Unless there's a surge in season ticket sales and the Chief Exec can stop pissing sponsors off and find some new ones in the process, there won't be enough in the pot to tempt him to stay and give it a go. That's without taking in the handicap of working with these owners.

When does the transfer window open for AL to sell Bahamboula? The budget will be clearer then.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I know what you mean but we can't have it both ways - managers get criticised for bland safety-first comments and for telling it as they see it, they can't win.

KC is an experienced manager and played at the highest level. We know when he speaks of the great Oldham sides of the past - and speaks about their attitude, not their quality - that he is right and that he knows what he is talking about.

There's a world of difference between a Mourinho, whose teams are invariably challenging for honours, with elite players on the one hand (who maybe need to have their egos massaged, poor darlings) and a KC with a team at the other end of the league with nothing to play for but which KC, rightly, expects to still put in the effort.

That Oldham Times interview cements it for me. KC should be given the job (the only question mark is his sanity in wanting it), a sensible budget (doesn't need to spend a fortune as Morecambe, Cheltenham, Cambridge, Accrington S have shown) and the freedom to pick the players he wants. In a sane world it would be a no brainer.

14 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Just the usual general comments. Kewell said the same a few months before he got sacked that he needed time to build ect ect. Usual rubbish, different manager. 

Except Curle hasn’t said that he needs time?  - he’s said the players aren’t good enough and we need better

Which is exactly what the majority of us have said the last 3 years 

Isn't he completely wrong about the players, too?  We are the top scoring team in the league and by a distance in some measures. We've lacked massively at the back and we all know the likely reason. 

But turning to a side that's out-score the entire division and saying "You're all shit, get lost..." is utterly baffling to me right now - surely this is the best chance we've ever had to keep the core and tweak the defence? 

Christ, I almost cared there. Never mind. On we plod. 

2 minutes ago, Ackey said:

Isn't he completely wrong about the players, too?  We are the top scoring team in the league and by a distance in some measures. We've lacked massively at the back and we all know the likely reason. 

But turning to a side that's out-score the entire division and saying "You're all shit, get lost..." is utterly baffling to me right now - surely this is the best chance we've ever had to keep the core and tweak the defence? 

Even some of the attackers aren't good enough really. Keillor-Dunn for a start. In fact, I'd argue that only Bahamboula, McAleny and McCalmont are anywhere near good enough at the moment and all 3 won't be here next season...

3 minutes ago, Ackey said:

And telling the side that has conceded the most they aren’t good enough isn’t wrong either 

3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Even some of the attackers aren't good enough really. Keillor-Dunn for a start. In fact, I'd argue that only Bahamboula, McAleny and McCalmont are anywhere near good enough at the moment and all 3 won't be here next season...

Maybe. I certainly don't watch enough to know. But we're far and away the best attacking side in the division:

image.png

2 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

And telling the side that has conceded the most they aren’t good enough isn’t wrong either 

I suppose that's a personality thing. To my mind there's not enough upside for downside. He should be talking up the strengths and giving them some freedom to play out the season their way on the hope that in the summer we can bring in some improvements at the back and build on that.

22 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

DKD has poor games. But he's improved a lot from the start of the season. And he's in double figures with some really smart control and finishes. How many players have we had in the last few years to hit double figures? Hes stil very young which we forget about the likes of him, CBJ, fage etc. There's room for improvement. Id be happy to throw money at mcaleny and keep bahamboula at all costs and leave the attack as it is. Couple centre backs, couple centre mids and a couple keepers is what I'd concentrate on

2 hours ago, Ackey said:

Sorry, but that is an unbelievably fake version of what KC actually said, as reported by the Oldham Times. I know you're exaggerating, but come on!

What he actually said was that he needs new players. Given that we are currently 16th in L2, you can criticise him if you like for stating the bleeding obvious, but nowhere does he claim that he doesn't have any good players. He knows who deserves to stay and who doesn't, the only question is whether he'll be allowed to do something about it.

Together with more quality, he obviously wants to see more fight, something we've all been saying all season. As Gennaro Gattuso memorably put it, we need players with balls. If many of the current squad don't like that message, too bad.

3 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Just the usual general comments. Kewell said the same a few months before he got sacked that he needed time to build ect ect. Usual rubbish, different manager. 

Oh, I dunno. Kewell used to chat some absolute drivel. Corned Beef says pretty much what the rest of us think...

7 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Certainly like the way he speaks. Would rather he won a few more games but we can't have it all...

13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Oh, I dunno. Kewell used to chat some absolute drivel. Corned Beef says pretty much what the rest of us think...

with you on both of these comments 

Archived