Stick or twist?

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Yes a better player and would score as many if fully fit.

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Goodness me. Surely this is worth a ban from the mods...?

Compare their statistics:

Conor - 28 years old.

Latics: played 44 scored 21 - (career total played 193, scored 50).

In that time he has had 3 permanent clubs and 8 loans. He has played in the Championship and also the Scottish Premiership but mainly in League 1.

He didn’t score his first league goal until the age of 22 and this season has been by far his best for hitting the back of the net. Late developer or has he finally found his level?

Zach - 22 years old.

Latics: played 27, scored 11 - (career total played 37, scored 12)

In that time he has had 2 permanent clubs and joined us after being on loan. He also played a single game at New Mills.

He played 8 times from January onwards in season ending 2020 and 15 times this season. He does appear to be injury prone...

My view is that both are talented players but Conor is the more clinical goal scorer - he is an out and out striker. Zach is a different type of player using his pace to run in behind the defenders - he does have an eye for goal too.

The key part of @BP1960 comments are the words ‘if fully fit’.  I would love to see Zach play regularly because he is a talented footballer. But I’m not sure how you can judge on what we’ve seen to date  🤔 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Whatever our opinions are, keeping McAleny at the club alongside a fit Zak Dearnley would probably give us the best strike force in the division!!

yep you’d have to be happy if we had both of those two and they were fit to play. Would u break the bank for mcaleny? His injury record suggest probably not as u can’t be sure he’ll be fit to put all ur money on him 

25 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Curle states in the chron that he is taking his time in negotiating with ALMO. I wonder how many times he’s tried to reframe the question- so will I get any say on players. 

Can you really see Mo relinquishing control?

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No. 

Which is why I find the ‘negotiation’ slightly comical. 

No manager/coach gets full recruitment autonomy under this ownership, I can't believe this would be a shock to Curle at this stage, as long as he gets the players he wants and can pick the team he wants that would surely be enough.

6 hours ago, Careca9 said:

yep you’d have to be happy if we had both of those two and they were fit to play. Would u break the bank for mcaleny? His injury record suggest probably not as u can’t be sure he’ll be fit to put all ur money on him 

Is it? I genuinely don't know, but didn't a previous post suggest it wasn't that bad. Dearnley on the other hand has a bad injury record. 

6 hours ago, Careca9 said:

? Mcaleny has played 40 games or so? He's up near the top as the most games played for us this season... throw everything at him

31 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

No manager/coach gets full recruitment autonomy under this ownership, I can't believe this would be a shock to Curle at this stage, as long as he gets the players he wants and can pick the team he wants that would surely be enough.

Quite. 

We’re back to big arms though, who was in the same boat- can I have some picks as well you as who bring in. 

We’ll all know how it turns out. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Curle states in the chron that he is taking his time in negotiating with ALMO. I wonder how many times he’s tried to reframe the question- so will I get any say on players. 

“It’s an ongoing process involving all the stakeholders of the football club, making sure that everyone’s aware of what’s required, what the job is, what the role is, how it works, and what does ‘good’ look like?”

So the stakeholders (ALMO) tell him that his role is accepting their players and coaching them into a winning team. I don't think that's really what he means.

7 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Whatever our opinions are, keeping McAleny at the club alongside a fit Zak Dearnley would probably give us the best strike force in the division!!

Put DKD between them with his calmness when given a chance, and we would be even more lethal next season. With Bam on the bench to replace one of them later in the game to cause further havoc. Sort out the defence and we should walk it. Of course keeping Mac is not likely to happen unless he is offered a better deal than he will get elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, al_bro said:

“It’s an ongoing process involving all the stakeholders of the football club, making sure that everyone’s aware of what’s required, what the job is, what the role is, how it works, and what does ‘good’ look like?”

So the stakeholders (ALMO) tell him that his role is accepting their players and coaching them into a winning team. I don't think that's really what he means.

Put DKD between them with his calmness when given a chance, and we would be even more lethal next season. With Bam on the bench to replace one of them later in the game to cause further havoc. Sort out the defence and we should walk it. Of course keeping Mac is not likely to happen unless he is offered a better deal than he will get elsewhere.

What do you mean AL?

He won’t accept that remit? 

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Quite. 

We’re back to big arms though, who was in the same boat- can I have some picks as well you as who bring in. 

We’ll all know how it turns out. 

I'm not sure you go to the trouble of appointing someone like Curle and then try to force a load of players he doesn't want on him, time will tell I guess.

16 minutes ago, al_bro said:

We are about 11 better players from walking anything.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'm not sure you go to the trouble of appointing someone like Curle and then try to force a load of players he doesn't want on him, time will tell I guess.

Yeah. Logic suggests you’re right, and they may even agree to give Curle more of what he wants. But I have no faith they’ll stick it, or do what they want anyway. 

5 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I think you'll find Harry Kewell says he was fully responsible for every decision whilst he was at the club...

In this day and age I dont think many managers have full say over recruitment. Football is a business now. And this season I dont think kewell had much resistance from almo. Recruitment in general has been an ok season, altho in the wrong areas. Mcaleny, whelan, dkd is improving, mccalmont most games is good, hilsner started on fire. Even the owners suggestions haven't been bad. Bahamboula, diarra hasn't been a flop and could come good. And with kewell saying he wants to outscore opponents id fire a guess that he wasn't interested in defence. Might be blind faith but I believe the owners have laid off the managers a bit this season. So hopefully when curle says discussions are going well he means/believes it. Fingers crossed

8 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

In this day and age I dont think many managers have full say over recruitment. Football is a business now. And this season I dont think kewell had much resistance from almo. Recruitment in general has been an ok season, altho in the wrong areas. Mcaleny, whelan, dkd is improving, mccalmont most games is good, hilsner started on fire. Even the owners suggestions haven't been bad. Bahamboula, diarra hasn't been a flop and could come good. And with kewell saying he wants to outscore opponents id fire a guess that he wasn't interested in defence. Might be blind faith but I believe the owners have laid off the managers a bit this season. So hopefully when curle says discussions are going well he means/believes it. Fingers crossed

True, I think they have been less involved, but mainly because they weren’t here. AL hasn’t been seen much this season and Mo was missing at the start and end. 

Actually that middle section when Mo was here, was possibly our worst points return and culminated in HKs sacking. Those of you good with stats, was there a difference when Mo was here compared to when he wasn’t here to interfere?

9 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I think you'll find Harry Kewell says he was fully responsible for every decision whilst he was at the club...

Yep, and I once tried to convince a girl in a nightclub that I was a fighter pilot. 

14 hours ago, deyres42 said:

That shouldn't be the case, but I'm pretty certain it is AL and Mo running the club.

15 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Why would Curle be any different?  

I see Dylan Fage has been given another year...

17 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

? Mcaleny has played 40 games or so? He's up near the top as the most games played for us this season... throw everything at him

only season he’s managed it though I think. Bit of a risk suggesting he’ll be injury free from now on. 

Archived