Stick or twist?

12 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

In this day and age I dont think many managers have full say over recruitment. Football is a business now. And this season I dont think kewell had much resistance from almo. Recruitment in general has been an ok season, altho in the wrong areas. Mcaleny, whelan, dkd is improving, mccalmont most games is good, hilsner started on fire. Even the owners suggestions haven't been bad. Bahamboula, diarra hasn't been a flop and could come good. And with kewell saying he wants to outscore opponents id fire a guess that he wasn't interested in defence. Might be blind faith but I believe the owners have laid off the managers a bit this season. So hopefully when curle says discussions are going well he means/believes it. Fingers crossed

Yeah, there is no doubt recruitment has been better. With the exception of the entire defence. I think it’s all moot anyway, in the end they’ll sign who they want despite what’s been agreed. 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I think you'll find Harry Kewell says he was fully responsible for every decision whilst he was at the club...

He also said, everyone concedes goals to try and justify the worst defensive in the division, so I take what he says with a pinch of salt. 

I wasn't impressed by the removal of Kewell and the installation of Curle but I am now beginning to see what Curle can bring to the club and the team results, given...God forbid...enough time and resources.

On 4/30/2021 at 4:55 PM, deyres42 said:

No manager/coach gets full recruitment autonomy under this ownership, I can't believe this would be a shock to Curle at this stage, as long as he gets the players he wants and can pick the team he wants that would surely be enough.

Surprised at you dropping the A-bomb there. Expected better...

Curle managerial record since taking over:

Played 13 Won 4 Drawn 3 Lost 6 Scored 23 Conceded 22

Points 15 out of 39

I accept that he has had to work with an average group of footballers but I am not impressed with his tactical and positional choices. 

In the short time he has been here, his demeanour has noticeably changed as he realises the size of the task he faces. 

Given the the likelihood that, if he stays, he will not get a huge playing budget for next season, I doubt whether he will be able to bring in the type of players he wants. 

Stick or twist? I really am not sure 🤔 

Stick - obviously. He’s been landed with some of the worst players we’ve ever had so I’m not going to judge him on results so far.

He has been very vocal about the fact that some of them aren’t good enough which I assume is him agitating in public for a say in some wholesale recruitment changes. Assuming he is  allowed a say, I’d much rather someone going into the window with a view on who he wants and doesn’t want as opposed to someone new... again. 

He also has a promotion from this level on his CV. 

We all know nothing really changes until the clowns at the top sell up and move on however I don’t see what another change of manager will achieve at this stage. 

Curle staying will most likely require KC to believe ALMO when they tell him they won’t interfere. (We know the truth doesn’t mean much to them, and if they want him to stay they will promise anything)

However KC picking all his own players is unlikely to happen. He can’t find 11 decent players for free, surely.  We don’t think there will be a budget, and some are saying if we borrowed money from the EFL, we can’t pay anyway. 

Some of us suspect AL’s personal business model is to bring unknown foreign players in for nothing, give them a shop window then sell them for good money. (I’m thinking nurturing the club and staff doesn’t figure) If that strategy pans out with Bahamboula, look out for another crop to be dumped on KC with instructions to give them game time.  I’m guessing that won’t go well.

I’m worried we will just get more of the same next season.

38 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Curle managerial record since taking over:

Played 13 Won 4 Drawn 3 Lost 6 Scored 23 Conceded 22

Points 15 out of 39

I accept that he has had to work with an average group of footballers but I am not impressed with his tactical and positional choices. 

In the short time he has been here, his demeanour has noticeably changed as he realises the size of the task he faces. 

Given the the likelihood that, if he stays, he will not get a huge playing budget for next season, I doubt whether he will be able to bring in the type of players he wants. 

25 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Stick - obviously. He’s been landed with some of the worst players we’ve ever had so I’m not going to judge him on results so far.

He has been very vocal about the fact that some of them aren’t good enough which I assume is him agitating in public for a say in some wholesale recruitment changes. Assuming he is  allowed a say, I’d much rather someone going into the window with a view on who he wants and doesn’t want as opposed to someone new... again. 

He also has a promotion from this level on his CV. 

We all know nothing really changes until the clowns at the top sell up and move on however I don’t see what another change of manager will achieve at this stage. 

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Curle staying will most likely require KC to believe ALMO when they tell him they won’t interfere. (We know the truth doesn’t mean much to them, and if they want him to stay they will promise anything)

However KC picking all his own players is unlikely to happen. He can’t find 11 decent players for free, surely.  We don’t think there will be a budget, and some are saying if we borrowed money from the EFL, we can’t pay anyway. 

Some of us suspect AL’s personal business model is to bring unknown foreign players in for nothing, give them a shop window then sell them for good money. (I’m thinking nurturing the club and staff doesn’t figure) If that strategy pans out with Bahamboula, look out for another crop to be dumped on KC with instructions to give them game time.  I’m guessing that won’t go well.

I’m worried we will just get more of the same next season.

Come on lads 

We’re due to tip into double digit manager numbers under the ‘Mo n Ali’ regime 

We’ve had first timers, fairly experienced, experienced, young, mature and foreign yet every single one has walked or been pushed with a right mixed bag of performances, results and no consistency 

‘Mo n Ali’ wont change so we’ll not see a managers true ability in managing a group of players wearing our club badge 

Felt sorry for KC in that post match interview, he came here full of hope, but looks a broken man just like the managers before him.

This is what AL and Mo have done with their disgraceful mismanagement of decent people and the club.

I think the interview would of been handled differently if talks with ALMO we’re going in a positive direction. He is obviously digging players out, but there is a constant subtext to what he is saying, and it is screaming frustration at not being trusted to shape things with his track record. 

I said last week, I’d be amazed if he stays. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

On a more serious note if I was him Id be keeping one eye on any league 2 vacancies their is bound to be one that comes up in the near future.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the went to Rochdale and they let him bring in the players he wants to gain promotion?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Wouldn't it be ironic if the went to Rochdale and they let him bring in the players he wants to gain promotion?

Wouldn't surprise you would it?

Ironically if we give him that here plus the time needed to build a squad its not a quick fix this. Im sure he will happily take the gig

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

One of things that makes me want to stick with Curle is that he has done well with clubs at this level who have had average budgets for this level.  I can't see him being a manager who would try to force AL and Mo to break the bank in order to get promotion.

The key issue won't be money imo.  As everyone says, control is the key.

I've often found in work situations when you want something but don't have control of the purse strings, you suggest what you want to the person who controls the money, then make them think it's their idea, if it works they get the praise and the medals but you get what you want without the fuss. 

6 hours ago, kev1969 said:

Cannot see him being here next season and so will be back to the ruckie merry go round .

They will appoint someone else once Mo has done his recruiting if he leaves.

Not saying we should get rid of Curle even it was the clubs choice rather than Curles but I don't understand everyone saying we have improved under him. He took over a side in 16th who had 2 games in hand at the time on teams above us, now we are 18th. We haven't improved one bit, in fact i'd say we have gone backwards but we all know the manager isn't the real problem here.

6 hours ago, PeteG said:

Not saying we should get rid of Curle even it was the clubs choice rather than Curles but I don't understand everyone saying we have improved under him. He took over a side in 16th who had 2 games in hand at the time on teams above us, now we are 18th. We haven't improved one bit, in fact i'd say we have gone backwards but we all know the manager isn't the real problem here.

I have thought this myself a few times but then people keep shouting "FULL AUTONOMY" back at me...

8 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I have thought this myself a few times but then people keep shouting "FULL AUTONOMY" back at me...

Well he certainly hasn't had full autonomy over signings - which isn't unreasonable as he arrived after the transfer window closed.

Archived