Stick or twist?

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

He chose to sign the MK Dons keeper...

If we're going to judge managers on single signings then we'll be sacking ten a season rather than ten in three years, or whatever the number is now.  I did think it was bizarre though and said so at the time

29 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Anyone who thinks we shouldn't try to keep Curle is demonstrating the same lamentable short termism as the owner. 

Not sure i agree with this sweeping generalisation. 

Whereas I totally agree that the constant hiring and firing of managers is the wrong approach, I am far from convinced that Keith Curle is the right man for the job. And yes I subscribe to the ‘no manager could work successfully under these clowns’ school of thought.

It’s just that he will criticise the abilities and technical skills of the players yet insist that we play out from the back. He chooses to play certain players in unnatural positions, such as Jameson on the right of a back three, Clarke as a right wing back. And how poor has DKD been since Curle has chosen to play him in the false number nine role? 

In his latest post match interview he stated that he is accountable for the poor performances. Grimsby and Mansfield were as bad as we’ve seen this season and whereas the players collectively were woeful in both games, the manager has to take some responsibility.

While wanting to put to an end the managerial swing door is laudable, surely we shouldn’t just decry those who are not convinced that Curle is the long term solution? 

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Whereas I totally agree that the constant hiring and firing of managers is the wrong approach, I am far from convinced that Keith Curle is the right man for the job. And yes I subscribe to the ‘no manager could work successfully under these clowns’ school of thought.

It’s just that he will criticise the abilities and technical skills of the players yet insist that we play out from the back. He chooses to play certain players in unnatural positions, such as Jameson on the right of a back three, Clarke as a right wing back. And how poor has DKD been since Curle has chosen to play him in the false number nine role? 

In his latest post match interview he stated that he is accountable for the poor performances. Grimsby and Mansfield were as bad as we’ve seen this season and whereas the players collectively were woeful in both games, the manager has to take some responsibility.

While wanting to put to an end the managerial swing door is laudable, surely we shouldn’t just decry those who are not convinced that Curle is the long term solution? 

It's just pointless to point at the owners and their ridiculous lack of stability while crying sack the manager after three months before he's even had the chance to sign anyone or have a pre-season.

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

. He chooses to play certain players in unnatural positions, such as Jameson on the right of a back three 

From the little I've seen Jameson's unnatural position is on the pitch.

Reliable sources confirm half a dozen more Trialists have rocked up. Now at least we have a Head Coach in situ when they arrived.  The 2 x million dollar questions are did Curle know they were coming, and will he have a final say? Assuming he stays.

Just now, singe said:

Reliable sources confirm half a dozen more Trialists have rocked up. Now at least we have a Head Coach in situ when they arrived.  The 2 x million dollar questions are did Curle know they were coming, and will he have a final say? Assuming he stays.

Does he speak French?

7 minutes ago, singe said:

I thought post-Brexit work permit issues had scuppered the usual route.

16 minutes ago, singe said:

What's the point in them turning up now, when training virtually ends this weekend. How can they be assessed properly?

4 minutes ago, al_bro said:

What's the point in them turning up now, when training virtually ends this weekend. How can they be assessed properly?

Surely you are 'Al'sBro' - you tell us... 😀

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

It's just pointless to point at the owners and their ridiculous lack of stability while crying sack the manager after three months before he's even had the chance to sign anyone or have a pre-season.

Is not also just as pointless to stick with a manager who in his short tenure continues to pick a player whose ‘unnatural’ position is on the pitch, who demonstrates a lack of tactical awareness or ability to motivate players or even to get them to perform the basic skills on the pitch.?

Lets not forget that Curle was brought in on a short term basis when Kewell was sacked. He has given a fairly blunt and damning assessment of the players he has worked with for the past couple of months. By the same token we have had an opportunity to form  an opinion on the managers approach and capabilities. 

Can I say for sure that Curle is the right man for next season? I’m just not sure. 🤔

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Is not also just as pointless to stick with a manager who in his short tenure continues to pick a player whose ‘unnatural’ position is on the pitch

In fairness, who else would he try there?  Jameson is “unnatural”  whereas Diarra and Badan are just crap

We could of course have signed a centre back in January but Harry and Mo thought we needed a winger - and even then went for the fraud Tasdemir instead 

12 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He has given a fairly blunt and damning assessment of the players he has worked with for the past couple of months.

Without doubt the best thing he’s done 

the rest of us have been saying it long enough, about time someone at the club did 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I

Lets not forget that Curle was brought in on a short term basis when Kewell was sacked. He has given a fairly blunt and damning assessment of the players he has worked with for the past couple of months. By the same token we have had an opportunity to form  an opinion on the managers approach and capabilities. 

Can I say for sure that Curle is the right man for next season? I’m just not sure. 🤔

He's seen more than we have.  I've no idea if he's the right man for the job but I do know that we haven't found out yet

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Given there was no threat of promotion or relegation when he came in he had a free hit to try things out, which is exactly what he has done.

Archived