Stick or twist?

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

What's the point in them turning up now, when training virtually ends this weekend. How can they be assessed properly?

I doubt there is any rigorous assessments going on, just be having a nosy to see if any are worth a second look in the summer.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I doubt there is any rigorous assessments going on, just be having a nosy to see if any are worth a second look in the summer.

So another ill timed waste of money then.

11 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Given there was no threat of promotion or relegation when he came in he had a free hit to try things out, which is exactly what he has done.

Couldn't someone like Butler or Murray done that and saved the club money in the process...

33 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Can't imagine there being any significant costs involved in a few lads turning up for training.

Depends where from.  Lost track of rules but have we been paying for them to isolate in a hotel?

Good pre match interview by Curle again. I like getting his forthright views and tend to agree with his view of the club. It didn’t take him long to see that this is not a team of winners, and not really a team at all. It is clear with hindsight that pre season signings from the likes of Wrexham would bring obvious results,we need to be signing players released by league one and two clubs soon to have any sort of chance next season. With Curle’s playing background and his track record in management at this level surely he’ll get a big say with our signings. 

5 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Good pre match interview by Curle again. I like getting his forthright views and tend to agree with his view of the club. It didn’t take him long to see that this is not a team of winners, and not really a team at all. It is clear with hindsight that pre season signings from the likes of Wrexham would bring obvious results,we need to be signing players released by league one and two clubs soon to have any sort of chance next season. With Curle’s playing background and his track record in management at this level surely he’ll get a big say with our signings

It's the hope that kills you !

His interviews are good but his results aren't. I'm still a bit "meh" about whether we do or don't keep him but I suspect we will.

One thing I have no problems with AL & ML over is when they have sacked managers - I just wish they would replace them with better ones...

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

His interviews are good but his results aren't. I'm still a bit "meh" about whether we do or don't keep him but I suspect we will.

One thing I have no problems with AL & ML over is when they have sacked managers - I just wish they would replace them with better ones...

And replace the Sporting director with a better one.

The Jury is still out for me, I know he's possibly the most experienced manager we've had for a long while but experience doesn't always mean good. I also know he's had some dross players to deal with who were not brought in by him, so I could only judge him on those who were or will be if he ever gets or wants the chance to take the job full time, if offered.

52 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

The Jury is still out for me, I know he's possibly the most experienced manager we've had for a long while but experience doesn't always mean good. I also know he's had some dross players to deal with who were not brought in by him, so I could only judge him on those who were or will be if he ever gets or wants the chance to take the job full time, if offered.

The last experienced manager we had was Ronnie Moore (bar Royles few games/Shez comebacks)

yes he was well backed squad wise but he was sacked for finishing 9th was it? In league 1 - Sheridan made the playoffs the next season with the same squad I'm sure Moore have done at least the same.

Of the rookies we’ve had since, only Johnson showed anything like promise and his career since suggests that wasn’t a fluke

I’m happy to give Curle the gig if and only if he can build HIS team and be judged on the same 

If not give it to Mo, Donald Duck or Pep Guardiola the result would the same and even the latter couldn’t make a lot of these look like footballers 

I get a feeling KC will end up at another club for next season, very hard to read in his interviews,probably hanging out for a while and see what offers come his way...I could be wrong.. I wouldn't be overly fussed tbh..

Oldham and Keith Curle still in talks over longer-term deal | The Oldham Times

“It’s not just a case of ‘do you want to stay, we’ll pay you this much’, there’s a hell of a lot more that goes into.

“It’s getting the direction the football club wants to go in and needs to go in and putting in place things that you’re going to need on that journey.

“Everybody has to be aligned and it has to be the right decision for everybody, and within that it has to be as clear and as decisive as you can make it, and that helps an upward curve, when everybody’s got an accountability for what they’re responsible for and not shying away from it.

“I’ve always said if you’re a manager or head coach you’re directly responsible for results and make sure that you’re accountable for them.

It's pretty clear what the sticking points are.

Archived