Has any team ever finished as top goal scorers and most goals conceded in 1 season??!!

I’ve got a bet on we’ll be top scorers and it’s going to the last game.....hopefully one or two more against FGR will be enough but I think we will definitely have to score at least one!!

48 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’ve got a bet on we’ll be top scorers and it’s going to the last game.....hopefully one or two more against FGR will be enough but I think we will definitely have to score at least one!!

When did you take that on?  Can’t imagine it’s worth it now 🤔

Have posted on this subject a while ago. Nearest was Man City in 1957. 104 for 100 against. Finished 5th in Div 1. Wolves won the league scoring 103. Leicester conceded 108. City top scorers but 2nd conceders. So Latics can set a record. 2 in front of Exeter and Morecambe 3 in front of Cambridge. Lets hope we score a couple.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reminded a little bit of 1970-71, when the Latics won promotion from Div 4 under Jimmy Frizzell. Their 'goals for' total was 88 , the second highest in the Football League (one behind runaway Div 4 champions Notts County's total of 89). 'Goals against' were 63, worse than about half the sides in the division. Games at Boundary Park were particularly spectacular, with a 5-1 win v Brentford, 5-2 v Aldershot, 4-2 v Lincoln and 5-3 v Crewe. There were also heavyish defeats: 1-3 v Workington, 1-3 v Notts County and 2-4 v Southport. 

It's probably a bit ridiculous to compare the Latics side from that season with the Brazil side that won the 1970 World Cup, but they too scored a sackful of goals in almost every game, while usually conceding at least one or two thanks to their leaky defence.

Edited by Summerdeep
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

I'm reminded a little bit of 1970-71, when the Latics won promotion from Div 4 under Jimmy Frizzell. Their 'goals for' total was 88 , the second highest in the Football League (one behind runaway Div 4 champions Notts County's total of 89). 'Goals against' were 63, worse than about half the sides in the division. Games at Boundary Park were particularly spectacular, with a 5-1 win v Brentford, 5-2 v Aldershot, 4-2 v Lincoln and 5-3 v Crewe. There were also heavyish defeats: 1-3 v Workington, 1-3 v Notts County and 2-4 v Southport. 

It's probably a bit ridiculous to compare the Latics side from that season with the Brazil side that won the 1970 world Cup, but they too scored a sackfull of goals in almost every game, while usually conceding at least one or two thanks to their leaky defence.

'Ninguem se incomoda em defender'

It wasn't that they couldn't defend, but only one player, Bill Cranston, was really a defender. According to BTBs interview with Jim Fryatt, the pre season goal was The Ford Sporting League, with promotion a bonus. Even Harry Dowd fancied himself as an outfield player.

It was glorious.

• Like 1