mICXvpv.jpg?3

I was given this book a couple of weeks ago and I found it really enjoyable. It's about four years old, but still available on Amazon in both paper back and Kindle form. From football in the Conference (now National) League down to Sunday League, it's a very interesting read.

Names of well known former professional footballers are sprinkled through the book, covering their drop into the lower reaches, just so they can continue playing long after their League careers are over. There is one very well known former Latics player mentioned as he continues to ply his trade in non-League in a different playing position to the one we knew. 

What the book also does is highlight how well run some of these lower League clubs are; not just in the 5th tier, but right down to the 9th and 10th. A lot of League clubs could learn from their less illustrious members of the footballing community. It also covers Tranmere's drop into the Conference, and how Mark Palios' vision to get them back into what is now League 2, involved giving the manager the chance to do things his way rather than being dictated to. (Perhaps I should send a copy to ALMO!)

Archived