BPAS PODCAST: 10th May '21 Episode 34: Sell the Club

• Matt featured this topic
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is only one way to protest.

No bums on seats.

Group gatherings and protests outside do nothing as there wont be the numbers to make an impact.

They also become an excuse for the low lifes to use it as an excuse to cause trouble that has nothing to do with the cause. Just ends up being a joke.

No home fans at all would kill the club, they couldnt maintain ownership that way.

Follow the team away from home in large numbers, be vocal, have banners and flags all anti ALMO.

Be loud and proud.

They will go eventually, there is nothing surer.

Ive been to BP once in 8 years, I only go to away games.

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I've been to BP once in 8 years, I only go to away games.

Blimey, not sure Nelson Mandela maintained his protest for that long!

l thought they were spot on when they said HK's good run wouldnt have happened w fans in bc we would have already got him sacked.

Love this podcast, never listen to podcasts always found the whole concept rather boring, but this is top.

Used to like the attempts at balance but now double love how in ALMO's case theyve burned thru all their balance and open season has been declared.

My concern here is that we potentially push the club into administration and give Blitz and his asset stripping mates the excuse they need to sell the ground piecemeal and finally finish the job the started years ago. 

The idea that starving ALMO out will automatically lead to a sale is a dangerous assumption I fear 

47 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

My concern here is that we potentially push the club into administration and give Blitz and his asset stripping mates the excuseoo they need to sell the ground piecemeal and finally finish the job the started years ago. 

The idea that starving ALMO out will automatically lead to a sale is a dangerous assumption I fear 

Yes l agree. Pretty much how blitz would have envisioned outcome somenumber in his scenarioplay of decending ideal outcomes.

48 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

My concern here is that we potentially push the club into administration and give Blitz and his asset stripping mates the excuse they need to sell the ground piecemeal and finally finish the job the started years ago. 

If Blitz wanted to he could have put the club out of business years ago and built houses on the site. He has £6million of directors loans sat on the Balance sheet which predate 2010 which he could call in at any moment he hasn't and its unlikely he will.

That doesn't make him the good guy in this far from it, his aim is to sell the stadium and claw back some of his investment and bugger off.

59 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

As GlossopLatic has said, Blitz could of done that numerous times over the years and never has. He wouldn’t want that on his CV. He is a football fan and I genuinely couldn’t ever see him doing that. 

Out of interest what would your approach be? 

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

Rock and a potentially very hard place.  We are finished if things carry on the way they are.  If he goes it's a roll of the dice and there's no guarantee a double six is coming up but at least we get to give it a roll.

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

It will never ever happen. 

Any buyer would need to find the money to buy the land, with 6 million on top for a brand new stand that he hasn’t been paid back for that they can’t use or don’t want. 

The north is killing us at the minute, one day it will be our saviour. 

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Could we have managed without the North Stand, was the previous one beyond use?

Health & Safety! 🤣.  It made perfect sense to knock it down when they did but then the property/financial crash scuppered plans.  It also made perfect sense to build the new one with revenue generating facilities.  Ho hum.

7 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

No bums on seats.

Group gatherings and protests outside do nothing as there wont be the numbers to make an impact.

They also become an excuse for the low lifes to use it as an excuse to cause trouble that has nothing to do with the cause. Just ends up being a joke.

No home fans at all would kill the club, they couldnt maintain ownership that way.

Follow the team away from home in large numbers, be vocal, have banners and flags all anti ALMO.

Be loud and proud.

They will go eventually, there is nothing surer.

Ive been to BP once in 8 years, I only go to away games.

Why would you want to kill the club?

The only way to protest is to slip away quietly like 10,000 others have over the past 25 years?

Look at the media attention Blackpool and Charlton got for the protests they organised.  Charlton are certainly in a better place than where they were and the fans making a noise might have helped with that.

Just not turning up to home games is what people have been doing for over two decades and during that time the club's headed in one direction and one direction only - why suddenly would that change just because a couple of hundred more finally decide they've had enough?

38 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Why would you want to kill the club?

The only way to protest is to slip away quietly like 10,000 others have over the past 25 years?

Look at the media attention Blackpool and Charlton got for the protests they organised.  Charlton are certainly in a better place than where they were and the fans making a noise might have helped with that.

Just not turning up to home games is what people have been doing for over two decades and during that time the club's headed in one direction and one direction only - why suddenly would that change just because a couple of hundred more finally decide they've had enough?

I dont want to kill the club ive supported since 1976.

Thats not at all what I said.

****Just edited this as thats what I did say, you are correct. What I meant was kill the ownership of the two clowns.

5 hours ago, adamoafc said:

As GlossopLatic has said, Blitz could of done that numerous times over the years and never has. He wouldn’t want that on his CV. He is a football fan and I genuinely couldn’t ever see him doing that. 

Out of interest what would your approach be? 

Football is too expensive for individuals (billionaires excepted and as we’ve seen they often prefer to use other peoples money) so I think the 3 Amigos should have tried the following:

1. build a consortium of wealthy Oldham fans and other wealthy fans who would fancy a small stake in a club for a few tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands maybe
2. Alongside that sell 25% to ordinary fans

3. focus 100% of your energy on fan engagement and a membership scheme that cements the relationship with supporters 

4. complete transparency on finances, make supporters feel every pound we spend at the club is “ours” and directly impacts on the clubs progress

5. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

6. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

7. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

8. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

9. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

10. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

Fanciful? I’m not so sure, it’s really just those age old human traits; greed and vanity that prevent a model like this.

I live down South so spend minimal amounts on the club (I go to 10+ away games normally I suppose) but if something like the above truly happened I would happily spend/invest a few thousand a year on Latics....not that I’m rich or anything but I’d see it as an expensive but vital hobby/passion...I’d buy shares, membership, come to a few home games...in fact I’d probably just buy a season ticket even if I only turned up for a few matches etc etc and you know what, I expect there are hundreds of Latics fans around the country who would do the same

33 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Football is too expensive for individuals (billionaires excepted and as we’ve seen they often prefer to use other peoples money) so I think the 3 Amigos should have tried the following:

1. build a consortium of wealthy Oldham fans and other wealthy fans who would fancy a small stake in a club for a few tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands maybe
2. Alongside that sell 25% to ordinary fans

3. focus 100% of your energy on fan engagement and a membership scheme that cements the relationship with supporters 

4. complete transparency on finances, make supporters feel every pound we spend at the club is “ours” and directly impacts on the clubs progress

5. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

6. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

7. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

8. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

9. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

10. repeat points 3&4! Transparency and fan engagement 

Fanciful? I’m not so sure, it’s really just those age old human traits; greed and vanity that prevent a model like this.

I live down South so spend minimal amounts on the club (I go to 10+ away games normally I suppose) but if something like the above truly happened I would happily spend/invest a few thousand a year on Latics....not that I’m rich or anything but I’d see it as an expensive but vital hobby/passion...I’d buy shares, membership, come to a few home games...in fact I’d probably just buy a season ticket even if I only turned up for a few matches etc etc and you know what, I expect there are hundreds of Latics fans around the country who would do the same

TTA had a very good plan on taking over in 2003/04 - the purchased a fucked football club from Neil Joy and Jarvis and a very nice plot of land from the council. They ensured that piece of land remained separate to the club as it had been since the council bought it some years previous. 

They (Blitz) admirably funded a good team for a few years with grand visions of Oldham arena that had they come up may well have seen us soar.

They didn't, the crash happened - Blitz bailed and left us with Dave Penney and a sign of things to come in signings.

Corney robbed Peter to pay Paul and made a modern day Derek Trotter to keep wolves from the door.

TTA were a failure and perversely are the millstone round our necks / their property gamble failed and we are getting fucked in the arse for it.

my dad said to me when they were on the pitch on Celebration Sunday and the announcer was creaming himself (with us) that Boundary Park was Latics again 

“No it’s not, it’s theirs and one day that will hurt us”

I laughed at him then and for years after...

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

TTA had a very good plan on taking over in 2003/04 - the purchased a fucked football club from Neil Joy and Jarvis and a very nice plot of land from the council. They ensured that piece of land remained separate to the club as it had been since the council bought it some years previous. 

They (Blitz) admirably funded a good team for a few years with grand visions of Oldham arena that had they come up may well have seen us soar.

They didn't, the crash happened - Blitz bailed and left us with Dave Penney and a sign of things to come in signings.

Corney robbed Peter to pay Paul and made a modern day Derek Trotter to keep wolves from the door.

TTA were a failure and perversely are the millstone round our necks / their property gamble failed and we are getting fucked in the arse for it.

my dad said to me when they were on the pitch on Celebration Sunday and the announcer was creaming himself (with us) that Boundary Park was Latics again 

“No it’s not, it’s theirs and one day that will hurt us”

I laughed at him then and for years after...

All the above is very true. 

But I’ll keep saying it, building that North stand was the best thing Blitz did for us, because inadvertently it means he’s fucked himself from selling it to a developer. Blitz needs a buyer of a football club,  not a buyer of land. Which is great for us in the long run.

Imagine selling a ram shackle house to a developer that had that a very expensive bespoke outhouse attached. As the seller you want your money back, the developer thinks what the fuck am I going to do with that? I’m not paying for that. So you need somebody that loves your adjoining building and sees the value in keeping it.  

On 5/10/2021 at 2:39 PM, Lee Sinnott2 said:

And that is true too. He shouldn't get a free ride because the owners are idiots...

Agreed, if he doesn't do well next season he should get criticism.  If we back Curle correctly then playoffs should be the minimum aim.  Why else would you bring in someone with a good record in the division you're in if you don't expect results?  It's natural for expectations to be higher.

This season he's had leeway because 14 games with Kewell's squad is only long enough to work out who is worth taking with him into next season.

3 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Agreed, if he doesn't do well next season he should get criticism.  If we back Curle correctly then playoffs should be the minimum aim.  Why else would you bring in someone with a good record in the division you're in if you don't expect results?  It's natural for expectations to be higher.

This season he's had leeway because 14 games with Kewell's squad is only long enough to work out who is worth taking with him into next season.

Yet Flat cap has signed up Diarra and Badan - until that tool goes nothing will change 

20 hours ago, League one forever said:

All the above is very true. 

But I’ll keep saying it, building that North stand was the best thing Blitz did for us, because inadvertently it means he’s fucked himself from selling it to a developer. Blitz needs a buyer of a football club,  not a buyer of land. Which is great for us in the long run.

Imagine selling a ram shackle house to a developer that had that a very expensive bespoke outhouse attached. As the seller you want your money back, the developer thinks what the fuck am I going to do with that? I’m not paying for that. So you need somebody that loves your adjoining building and sees the value in keeping it.  

The ramshackle house (main stand) will have to come down soon, who's going to pay for that?

We will be left with a 3 sided ground again I suspect.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The ramshackle house (main stand) will have to come down soon, who's going to pay for that?

The old builds are the best - no one is pulling the Tower of London down anytime soon yet my 2005 Redrow new build )before I moved to my 1914 terraced) will be lucky to see the 2040s 

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Why will it ‘have to’ come down?

It must keeping passing safety inspection year in year out. There is a difference between highly unsuitable and unsafe.  

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Them no offices or ticket office...

Just now, Chaddyexile84 said:

The old builds are the best - no one is pulling the Tower of London down anytime soon yet my 2005 Redrow new build )before I moved to my 1914 terraced) will be lucky to see the 2040s 

So were many cotton mills. where are they all now?

Archived