League 2 Activity 2021/22

God knows why they would be looking to move to the A J Bell….Their progress over the last few years has been phenomenal, they are once again, amongst the favourites for promotion, have had another pretty impressive summer of recruitment, and yet after 18 months without live football could only muster up less than 2000 fans for their opening game of the season against Leyton Orient!!

Neville is hoping to regularly attract around 15000 within 5 years……Good luck to him but I don’t think he has a prayer!!!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

God knows why they would be looking to move to the A J Bell….Their progress over the last few years has been phenomenal, they are once again, amongst the favourites for promotion, have had another pretty impressive summer of recruitment, and yet after 18 months without live football could only muster up less than 2000 fans for their opening game of the season against Leyton Orient!!

Neville is hoping to regularly attract around 15000 within 5 years……Good luck to him but I don’t think he has a prayer!!!

The nearest equivalent I can think of is Wigan - and they pulled it off for quite a while

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The nearest equivalent I can think of is Wigan - and they pulled it off for quite a while

Exactly what I was thinking. If the team is successful new fans will be attracted and surely its only a matter of time before they are successful throwing all that money at it.

7 hours ago, astottie said:

Exactly what I was thinking. If the team is successful new fans will be attracted and surely its only a matter of time before they are successful throwing all that money at it.

Aye. 

If Bournemouth can go from the foot of league two to the prem, without the backing Salford have got- then so can they. Just a matter of time. 

8 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Bearing in mind they weren't mustering 200 fans 10 years ago then the progress is remarkable. Obviously the financial doping/leg up massively helps here. Its an aggressive target no doubt about it but I think they will be 1 division higher up by then minimum and their attendances are only going 1 way. They might not get 15000 every week but they are going to have a bloody good go at getting it.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Bearing in mind they weren't mustering 200 fans 10 years ago then the progress is remarkable. Obviously the financial doping/leg up massively helps here. Its an aggressive target no doubt about it but I think they will be 1 division higher up by then minimum and their attendances are only going 1 way. They might not get 15000 every week but they are going to have a bloody good go at getting it.

Mustering 200 fans……..200!!!!

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not sure where they are going to come from. Non -attending Utd or City “supporters “ ? People who don’t have any allegiance to any club?  
is there another 13000 who will be enamoured enough to go?

Wigan had a bigger base level of support- just look at their non league days- and no PL teams within 4/5 miles.

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Mustering 200 fans……..200!!!!

I vaguely remember them being on a special Football Focus special, quite a few years ago. It was the FA cup qualifying rounds. There average was around 100, on a good day. They were in the North-West Counties.

Am i right in think that FC United still have a bigger fan base?

14 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Except Bournemouth don't have 2 Premiership giants on their doorstep.

…and Bournemouth broke the financial rules to get there. Would Saint Neville do that? (Of course he would) 

On 8/11/2021 at 5:18 PM, League one forever said:

Aye. 

If Bournemouth can go from the foot of league two to the prem, without the backing Salford have got- then so can they. Just a matter of time. 

Bournemouth might not have the backing of Salford, not everyone in the PL has Salford’s backing, but they had some serious financial backing. They got a rich Russian owner who spent money to get them promoted from League 1 (or 2) and the Championship (as @kowenickisays breaching FFP rules in the process). They spent £800k on a striker while in League 1 and he ended up barely playing for them. With the backing they had they were bound to get promoted to the Championship eventually. 

Just now, rudemedic said:

Bournemouth might not have the backing of Salford, not everyone in the PL has Salford’s backing, but they had some serious financial backing. They got a rich Russian owner who spent money to get them promoted from League 1 (or 2) and the Championship (as @kowenickisays breaching FFP rules in the process). They spent £800k on a striker while in League 1 and he ended up barely playing for them. With the backing they had they were bound to get promoted to the Championship eventually. 

Oh deffo. 

I was only comparing the financial clout needed to climb the leagues. There is absolutely no way any club is going from league two to PL without massive money being put in. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Another shady character about to get his hands on (part of) a football club...

Apparently he's closely linked to Bassini too

View from a Charlton fan. 

Avoid him at all costs. Fraudster with no money. The police had to evict him when fans called him out. He threatened to sue the supporters trust but it called his bluff and he backed off.

21 hours ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Another shady character about to get his hands on (part of) a football club...

Apparently he's closely linked to Bassini too

This is the problem. Fans have no control over who buys into their club. We could end up with a similar character owning OAFC. 

6 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

View from a Charlton fan. 

Avoid him at all costs. Fraudster with no money. The police had to evict him when fans called him out. He threatened to sue the supporters trust but it called his bluff and he backed off.

Surely then he won't be able to takeover the football club then.

50 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Surely then he won't be able to takeover the football club then.

Apparently (if what I've read is correct), then him buying 25% is under the % that the EFL start doing the checks on, not that the checks seem to be worth the while anyway.

2 minutes ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Apparently (if what I've read is correct), then him buying 25% is under the % that the EFL start doing the checks on, not that the checks seem to be worth the while anyway.

EFL “don’t worry about looking for loopholes - we will provide them for you oven ready”

• 2 weeks later...

Oliver Crankshaw has  left Bradford City AFC to join National League side Stockport County for an undisclosed fee. 

The winger has signed a three-year contract at Edgeley Park, having joined the Bantams from Wigan Athletic in January. 

• 1 month later...

Archived